Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
For the final walk around?! What is this? 3-2-1 Liftoff! This should be a slow process. Also don't make the same mistake I did on my first. Change the rod bearings minumum. Also what about all the mods for the transmission? LSD IS A MUST, new twin blocker 3rd gear synchros and Zetec final drive too.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
*sigh*

I was the lifter, he was the spotter. We both did an under and over the engine check, and missed one thing.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I have to say all this work and no LSD is just plain assinine.

Also you could have skipped those over priced heads and spent that money in far better places if your budget was so tight.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
So my updated list should include:

MSDS headers and y-pipe and MIL eliminators
Torsen differential
Kustom Kogbox from Terry Haines
Arizona Dyno Chip custom
Carbon fiber hood

Anything else?

For the record, this is to be a fun, dependable daily driver. Not teh fastest SVT evar. The Miata is the racecar.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by weargle:
So my updated list should include:

Torsen differential
Arizona Dyno Chip custom
Carbon fiber hood

Anything else?

For the record, this is to be a fun, dependable daily driver. Not teh fastest SVT evar. The Miata is the racecar.

I don't know about a fancy gearbox. Just an LSD and good look through to replace worn components. I would say the LSD is more of a must than the headers. I'm in agreement with Greg. Why the expensive heads? That would have been last on my list. They're nice but as you said "This is a nice daily."

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
$1500 heads vs. no trans work or headers

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by weargle:
Torsen differential
Arizona Dyno Chip custom
Carbon fiber hood

You can get away with optimizing your stock y-pipe if you're on a budget. You can also make your own MIL eliminators to cut costs.
LSD is a MUST HAVE!
Fully built tranny, not so much. Hell, I wouldn't even consider the Zetec final drive if you aren't boosting it. The stock 4:06 gears were perfect even for my 281whp nitrous runs.
Custom chip or SCT Xcalibrator2 would be wise
Carbon fiber hood, not so much. This is the LAST thing I'd consider a must have.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by todras:
Why the expensive heads?

PnP in carspeak = ported and polished
PnP in computerspeak = plug and play
PnP in Wes-speak = all of the above

The not going whole hog is because of the two grand in 13x8 Rota RBs, Ground Controls, Konis, front swaybar and end links and swaybar brackets and polyurethane bushings that are sitting in the garage because the DD broke. Shoot, I don't even have upper shock mounts/bumpstops yet, much less V710s.

I understand that it's pretty easy to spend other people's money, especially on teh intarweb, but let's go back to the first post. Is there any glaring omission from that original list not named an LSD, transmission upgrade or headers.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I have to agree the Torsen is a must

Skip the tranny work

Gut the precats: Even at $300 I would not be able to justify the extra 5hp? the msds offer over this option. From seeing a lot of numbers I have yet to be convinced the headers add anything over gutted precats.

The zetec drive is also worthless imo.

98 3.0 svt: Sold
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
if the tranny shifts perfect and your on a budget, order a torsen and install it yourself, thats what i did (and i didnt even know if the tranny was good!) a LSD is a must-have for a 3L swap!

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard