Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
....seldom any need to remove that speedo pinion/carrier on most trans jobs. Only time it needs to come out is if the gear is damaged on the pinion/drive or the 'O' ring seal is leaking on the carrier....just FWIW

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
so did u use the stock diff?!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by todras:
....seldom any need to remove that speedo pinion/carrier on most trans jobs. Only time it needs to come out is if the gear is damaged on the pinion/drive or the 'O' ring seal is leaking on the carrier....just FWIW

Sure, or if you tear the wire out of the VSS installing the engine and you need to replace it. I'm not sure how it came uninstalled, nor can I fathom the plastic gear "falling into the transmission" either. I have to go out to the garage and nut and bolt everything because of a clunk on acceleration/deceleration, and maybe I'll give her a look.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
the Vss unscrews from the speedo gear pinion carrier....you DO NOT have to pull the carrier to remove it...the pinion floats on a cast in boss inside the trans...pull out the carrier and chances are the carrier will come out and leave the pinion behind then it's 10 to 1 that it will fall down inside the trans....lost unless you split the trans to get it!!! NOT smart....

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
I'll freely admit the not smart thing, but if the speedometer is working, then wouldn't that suggest that it hasn't fallen in?

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Chances are you/shop refitted the carrier with the green pinion dropped down inside the trans = no speedo drive and a ground up plastic speedo gear inside the trans...If the green pinion did not come out with the carrier chances are its gone'......inside! Ignorance is NOT bliss on an MTX75!!!!

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by weargle:
I'll freely admit the not smart thing, but if the speedometer is working, then wouldn't that suggest that it hasn't fallen in?

Dude, if your speedometer is working then you have a gear there... The clip isn't going to make a difference in that respect. If your speedo gear housing is loose and starts backing out then you'll wish it was there. if it is really stiff, you won't even care. However, don't take the risk.
So jack up the car on jackstands, both sides and block the wheels, get under there with a flashlight and find the small hole in the side, perpendicular to the axis of the speedo gear. Push in the pin. You may need to push in on the speedo housing or rotate it to help align the pin so that it goes in all the way. THe clip on the top slips over a metal lip to secure it.
Done deal.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
I hate German engineering. Why wouldn't that piece all be the same as in a Miata transmission? They take an easy solution and overcomplicate everything. I have a feeling that this is the last German car that I will own.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by weargle:
I hate German engineering. Why wouldn't that piece all be the same as in a Miata transmission? They take an easy solution and overcomplicate everything. I have a feeling that this is the last German car that I will own.

This car is Ford, pretty much through and through. The engine might have originated from german engineers but the transmission isn't.
German engineering is usually tops....
For the tranny problems, blame Ford of Europe.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
LMGDAO! Contour being a German car. Hmmm ok. News to us. If you think a Contour has strange engineering. Try buying parts for foreign cars. Looked at a BMW engine bay the way things are packaged? Probably could even put that little pin back in due to clearance. Don't go blaming the car because u f'd up.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard