Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#1449749 12/01/05 05:48 PM
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
It's finally out. Kinger's heads came in yesterday as well. The 04 Escape engine has been dismantled down to the heads, and it's time to start swapping stuff out.

I did run into a problem though; the harness holding the shifter cables stayed attached while we were lifting the engine out, and one looks a little kinked as a result. I believe that they'll need to be replaced just for peace of mind.

So, my weekend will be filled with dismantling the top end of the SVT engine and putting accessories onto the Escape block. Fun times. I'm glad that my run-to-the-parts-store car is a Miata.

My current parts list is as follows (critique as necessary):

Escape head gaskets and head bolts
Contour valve cover gaskets, front cover gaskets and UIM/LIM gaskets
SVT clutch, pressure plate and slave cylinder rebuild kit
front engine mount stud (found bent)
driver's side ball joint (fork busted)
hard line radiator hose outlet (rubber, cut)
shifter cables (dang)

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
You might do yourself a favor(if money permits) and install a set of MSDS headers while you have the engine on a stand. With as cheap as they can be had now, you'd be wise to do this mod with the Kinger heads.

Are you going through the transmission at all while you're at it, or just installing the clutch? I presume the SVT clutch is brand new? It should hold up pretty well to the N/A 3L, but my personal preference is the SPEC stage 1(not required).

Sounds like you're well on your way. Good luck with the build! Definitely keep us updated with your progress.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
I'd just as soon keep it emissions legal (testing mandatory in Wake County NC). And with about $2K sitting in the garage floor waiting to be bolted into the Miata for autocross next season, another $500 to a "reliable" daily driver that I've already put too much money into this month anyway doesn't make financial sense to me.

I just figured that it makes sense to swap the 65K clutch out now with another stocker while the tranny is out. It's a lot easier this way.

Is a slave cylinder job necessary, or a "just do it" thing?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Change the slave and do the headers - even with main cat you'll still be emissions friendly. Not doing the headers is just silly.

Also has the tranny had ANY work done on it? You state budget constraints - but I would be fearful of not cracking the trans and checking the condition of the diff and the 3rd gear synchro.

I mean you had the heads done but are saying no to headers and trans work? My priorities would have been the opposite way around!

Last edited by Stazi; 12/01/05 06:53 PM.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Stazi:
Not doing the headers is just silly.

That was what I was getting at. You had to pay a pretty penny on those Kinger heads, so I'm assuming you're going for performance. Why bottleneck the hell out of your exhaust with stock manifolds, when the headers will be emissions friendly if you retain your stock cat? If finances are holding you up, then wait! You can get a coated set of headers for ~$300 shipped.

Mark

W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Where from?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Group Buy section!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Paying that much for head work and no headers?! You high mang? And have fun swapping shift cables! Take your time putting the engine in and out. Couple pumps with the cherry picker run around to look at everything, adjust pump a little more. Helps a ton to have a helper.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
For the record, both my buddy and I missed them when we made the final walkaround.

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
www.msdsinc.com

Get the phone# off of there and call Marty personally. A lot of time his email doesn't work properly from what I've found. You can find details on pricing of the headers in the Group Buy forum by doing a search for MSDS.

Mark

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard