Page 38 of 51 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 50 51
#1448623 04/14/06 06:18 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Update to the update

Fabbing around the subframe in the garage while helpful, isn't all the much more helpful from fabbing in the bay. Time to drop the engine into the car ... I will be doing this solo on Saturday.

I preperation, I undid the "tucking" of the fusebox panel from the fender well back into the engine bay last night. I will post pictures tonight.

Last edited by fastcougar; 04/14/06 06:30 PM.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Lesson #1: 1999 Cougar shift cable ends will not work in a 1998.5 SVT Contour. The shank diameter in the Countour cables is larger and the pitch is more "rough". I basically wasted nearly 5 hours finding this out. I woke up at 6:40 AM, was out of the house by 7:00 AM on my way to DanG's since he had a spare set of ends. I got to his house around 8:10 AM. We talked for over an hour about car stuff and what not. I left his place around 10:00 AM and got gas for the drive home. Got home around 11:15 AM. Found out that the threads where different around 11:30 AM and I was highly pissed! Looks like I will have to be changing the cable ends "in-car" now.

So, I decided to move on and remove the custom headers (for the Cougar) and replace them with the stock manifolds. I decided to gut them first, so I started on the front bank.

Lesson #2: If you are going to gut a manifold and weld the "poking" hole, do so in the horizontal position to avoid molten metal from splashing into the threads of the O2 bungs. Dumb me decided to weld them vertically, welding down onto the hole (at the bottom of the manifold). Welding came out great, but some platter fell down the chamber and managed to land in the upper O2 bung threads. Needless to say, I wasted yet another hour. I scrapped the gutted manifolds in the interest of getting the engine into the car by 5:00PM (my deadline due to an Easter Egg hunt we had planned for our son).

So, basically, I didn't start to drop in the engine until around 2:30 PM since I broke for lunch around 1:45PM. Good thing I fixed the wiring the night before!

On to the pictures:

Before, fusebox "tucked" into the fender well.

Here you can see the "shelf" that the fusebox was resting on (bottom left of picture ... angle iron welded to front frame box. The fusebox cover was removed.

Fuse box, fuse/relay cluster and the cover.

free hanging wires (plug into cluster) are pulled through, making way for the other cluster to be pulled through.

Everything through ... getting to this point took about 30 minutes.

Everything put back together ... total time roughly 45 minutes.

Another angle to show the wheel well exposure.

Engine in ... sorry, no action shots ... I worked non-stop for 2 hours to get to this poing by myself ... a lot of checking clearance and rechecking and moving wires/tubes, lowering 1/2 inch here and there ... those that have done this by themselves knows that it takes caution and a lot of double/triple checking of clearances.

It became very clearn that I was going to have clearnce issues with the oil dipstick ... a little force on the top and she fits to clear the hood.

A lot of connections left to make.

More connections to be done.

A/C compressor must be fitted, radiator & fans must be added as well.

Over all, a good days worth of work, but considering the time wasted, I should have been starting the car at this point ... that will have to wait till a future weekend. However, I now have a lot of room in the garage to start getting organized to finish building the turbo kit.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Looks great so far!!!

The trouble with the cable, was a wasted time. BUt you will get her doen. Looks dman good so far.

Am i missing something in the thread, casue you removed the custom headers? y?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Simple really ... I want to use them on the Cougar instead

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by fastcougar:

This doesn't exactly tell the whole story. Since I am trying to develop a "universal" turbo kit, which doesn't require the use of headers, I figured it best to try and use the stock manifolds.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by fastcougar:

Yeah, but SVT Contours are way better than a mere cougar....you are focusing on the wrong car IMHO

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
war =

Dan G. and his Cougar Forged internal (Diamond & Pauter) full 3L, "Monster" Kinger F/I cut & P&P, T3/4 60 trim .82A/R ADC turbo, SPEC Stage 3, Torsen, Greddy Profec-B SPEC II, Apex'i Timer, Lots of Gauges! Used to have: 3.0L SVT hybrid
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Not a real update ... nothing and I mean nothing has changed. Supplies have come in however. I got my 1.5" tubing for the waste gate and the 2" 15* bends for the collector, but no work has been done. I have been gearing up for vacation next week

I just ordered the 90* 2" bend that I need (forgot about) and that should arrive when I'm gone. When I get back, hopefully I can find the motivation to at least get the car wired up and started. Once that hurdle is cleared, I will probably be motivated enough to find the time to start welding again.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Fired up the car today AND took her for a nice little drive (sans exhaust system/y-pipe) ... damn loud! This thing rips at only 1/2 throttle in 2nd/3rd gear.

Started right up no problems what soever. I pulled the fuel pump fuse & disconnected the coil pack and cranked for 10 seconds. Stopped for 30 seconds and then cranked another 10 seconds to build up oil pressure in the HLA's. Connected the coil pack and put back in the fuse and she fired immediately without hesitation. I have some video of the big moment and will post it later.

I feel like a ton of bricks are off my shoulder. Now all I have to do is straighten up the garage and get started on finishing the turbo system.

Quick question. I never capped the oil return line 45* elbow that I tapped into the block above the pan. I'm assuming this should be capped ASAP no?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Just cap the fitting with a plug.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 38 of 51 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard