Print Thread
Page 36 of 51 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 50 51
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Enough sitting around ... time to get started on the "hot" side:

It all starts with a T3 turbine inlet flange. In this case, a .500" thick 304L SS tapped unit from ATP Turbo.

After about 30 minutes of careful "smashing" in the vise and massaging with a 5 lb. small sledge, you can make a 2.5" 304SS tube to look something like this:

However, it still needs to be "swedged". This is taken after it was tacked on opposing side.

After swedging.

I then flip it over and tack the nicely reshapped side. This leaves one more side to do ... so, how exactly do you swedge a pipe? With some heat of course!

Here we go again on the opposite side ... before:

Heat that puppy up ...

She is ready to start massaging with a 3/8" extension and the 5 lb. sledge when she is glowing bright cherry red ... this picture was take 5 seconds after and she was already starting to cool to a nice dull orange:

After the "massage":

I then tacked the corners to keep them in place. At this point, I have 8 tacks ... 1 on each side and 1 on each corner. Time to start connecting the tacks:

Not the prettiest I know, but she will hold no problem. Now, on the techincal welding stuff ... butt welding a pipe to a VERY thick flange ... aim the wire at the flange and let it creap up the wall

Now, regardless of the fact that the flange was thick as hell, she still warped pretty badly. So, I decided to heat up the flange for a few minutes and then bolt her to the turbo. I then reheated and let cool twice more to stress releave the built up pressure. I will see how well it worked tomorrow night.

My favorite picture of all:

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I forgot to add or take pictures (will tomorrow) of the inside. Since it was butt welded, there was a seam that needed to be sealed up. so, I ran a bead all the way around the inside seam and then ground it down.

This was my second flange/pipe combo. My first setup, the flange was slightly larger (mild steel as well) and I was able to fit the tubing inside the flange. I then welded it up just like you see in the headers ... full seam weld around the inside of the flange and full external weld as well. Inside was then ground down.

I wanted to do that with this flange, but couldn't because the opening was just too small. If I wanted to, I would have to slit one side and notch it and then crush the pipe down and close the notch and then seam weld that notch ... too much hassle. I'm very confident that this butt weld will hold just fine.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by fastcougar:
I forgot to add or take pictures (will tomorrow) of the inside. Since it was butt welded, there was a seam that needed to be sealed up. so, I ran a bead all the way around the inside seam and then ground it down.

This was my second flange/pipe combo. My first setup, the flange was slightly larger (mild steel as well) and I was able to fit the tubing inside the flange. I then welded it up just like you see in the headers ... full seam weld around the inside of the flange and full external weld as well. Inside was then ground down.

I wanted to do that with this flange, but couldn't because the opening was just too small. If I wanted to, I would have to slit one side and notch it and then crush the pipe down and close the notch and then seam weld that notch ... too much hassle. I'm very confident that this butt weld will hold just fine.

When you are done welding the up and down pipes onto your flanges, just take them down to the machine shop and get them surfaced so they are flat. ESPECIALLY on the down pipe because there is no gasket on it. I used the steel gasket on the up-pipe and no issues.

Also, you can prevent the warpage by not letting the stainless heat up so much. It also welds better. If it gets hot then let it cool down a bit. Preheating a little is fine and may help if the two metals are at different temps, but in No way should you be making it rosy red hot IMHO. Everytime I let my 304 stainless piping get that hot I either blew a hole in it during the weld or it would pop and warp.
Also, you can hammer your pipes when just warm to fit the shape of your flanges as it makes it easier to work with. Work hardening from hammering will make the metal a bit tougher, but when you weld it the stress will relax anyway as it cools in ambient air temps. Saves some time.

BTW, butt welds are fine, I did that on all my flanges so I wouldn't be reducing the cross sectional area or having any weld beads in the way. They hold great too.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Not that butt welds won't work but it's recommended from what i've seen to slide the tube through the flange and seam weld it on the face of the flange and then do supporting welds on the outside (not a continuous weld). Of course this would depend on the how the flange is made... like what size it's machined to internally. It looks like you would have had room to do this in the pics.

Might want to do a little port matching on the turbine housing too if you didn't already plan on that.

But anywho... looks pretty good so far.

Last edited by DrFrankenbarge; 03/29/06 01:44 PM.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Like I said, I did it both ways ... the pictures above are of the butt welding method. I will take more pictures tonight of the my other up-pipe along with internal measurements. Due to the other flange's opening being much larger, I had to swedge the pipe out quite a bit, so I think my other flange is actually wider inside. Both look good ... however, I see a difinite improvement in my welding on this one.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by warmonger:
Also, you can hammer your pipes when just warm to fit the shape of your flanges as it makes it easier to work with. Work hardening from hammering will make the metal a bit tougher, but when you weld it the stress will relax anyway as it cools in ambient air temps. Saves some time.

After cold working the metal, I stress releaved it by warming and then letting room cool.

J
Flaming Biker Dude
Flaming Biker Dude
J
Actually to stress relieve it properly...you heat it until it has a dull red glow..then wrap it with a fire blanket (get them at a welders supply store) and it lets it SLOWLY cool down (we are talking hourse here). Never had a crack while doing this. Also, if you ever need to MIG weld cast iron: preheat the hell out of it, weld it, then reheat it and wrap with same blanket and leave it till morning. Butt welding is not the best idea in an instance like this. Inserting the tube part way and seam weld inside, then as Barge said stitch weld the outter perimeter to give it some stress relief. Weling inherently creates a stress riser and that is wh you se most cracks will be outsie the weld. It is sometimes from overheating the part but mostly due to the fact that is the highest place of stress.

BTW....nice work so far....keep it going....and invest in a TIG welder..its worth every penny

People suck. Rev it till it MELTS.....
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Judge:
... and invest in a TIG welder..its worth every penny

I know ... I just don't have $2K for the Miller I want right now because of this project ... it's a catch 22

J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
Wow Trevor, you have come a long way since I last checked in on this thread. I'm glad to see things are looking up for you during this whole ordeal.

Are you still going to recoop more losses from the seller?
Have you decided on selling the piping kit or not?

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I did a little cleanup ... notice the "hole" in this picture? It was caused by me "skipping" over the tack weld.

All fixed!

Considering all the pipe cleanup that is needed after using a chop saw to cut the tubing, I needed to add a new tool to the arsenal.

It came in VERY handy today when I was able to sand down the warped flange ... completely flat now!

Today was spent cleaning up the garage and trying to get more organized so I could arrange the tools in a "production" type environment so I could cut, debur and weld without much fuss. In order to clear up wall space on the back wall AND to help fabricate the kit, I decided to mount the engine to the spare sub-frame fairly well elevated off the ground. This will aid greatly in the tube running & fabrication:

Back to the tubing ... got started on the front 90 degree bend/socket to go around the oil pan and meet up with the rear bank exhaust. In this pic you can see how much I had to cut down the socket & "leg" off the 90 degree bend. Needless to say, the sander was invaluable!

Everything lined up nice & flush and I was able to bevel the edges (for full penetration of the weld)

A closeup of the tack welds.

I will not be seaming the tacks until the entire up-pipe is complete. I hope to be at that point in about 2 weeks ... I'm still waiting on a shipment of 15 degree bends that I will be using to fabricate my 2" in, 2.5" out 2 into 1 collector. I'm getting pretty good with the welder and have no doubt that I can make this merge collector without much trouble.

Page 36 of 51 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard