Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 51 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 50 51
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
That was my intent on starting this thread ... so everyone who reads it could learn from my mistake ... never buy a car sight unseen based on the seller's description. Like I said before, I wanted to go 3L so that the car would have more power to be more attractive to an enthusiast buyer since I will be listing it on CEG's classifieds and in the NECO for sale forum. I'm building it up to "factory fresh" status with Clevite bearings and having a Torsen fitted in the transmission because I'm plan on putting the car through it's paces during the turbo kit development. Trust me, I'm not into throwing away my hard earned money ... I do things with planned intent. However, in this instance, I was a little wavering in my attitude of getting this done quickly for a quick sale. As I see it now, my only chance of recouping as much money as possible is to develop this piping kit for a FMIC turbo system.

Anyways, back to your regular programming: I'm about to pull the head off the side of the engine where cylinder #5 is right now ... I will report back with the findings later tonight. I have some time to kill waiting on parts to arrive and I'm reusing the SVT cams anyways, so what's another 30-45 minutes to pull the heads and assess the damage

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Seems my first impressions are rarely wrong:

Gee, I wonder why cylinder #5 had "0" compression?

Closeup of "the hole".

Closeup of the damage to the cylinder wall where the hole in the piston was located.

Scoring of the cylinder wall in cylinder #5.

Piston from cylinder #5 removed ... nothing else to say, this images speaks volumes!

Cylinder #2 caught my eye, so I removed it as well for a close look at the ring lands to see how far the pitting went.

Closeup of the pitting and coarse texture on pistons #2.

Cylinder #4 had the same piston pitting and coarse texture.

Cylinder #6 as well.

What breaks off a piston must go somewhere, in this instance, embedded into the head. This head is shot!

Other side of cylinder #5's combustion chamber.

So, how do you like my choice to go 3L now? Yes, it could have been done cheaper, but I wanted a "fresh" engine to build on. I have no doubt that a lawyer will enjoy taking this case ... it's an open/shut case

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by fastcougar:
Seems my first impressions are rarely wrong:

Gee, I wonder why cylinder #5 had "0" compression?

Closeup of "the hole".

Closeup of the damage to the cylinder wall where the hole in the piston was located.

Scoring of the cylinder wall in cylinder #5.

Piston from cylinder #5 removed ... nothing else to say, this images speaks volumes!

Cylinder #2 caught my eye, so I removed it as well for a close look at the ring lands to see how far the pitting went.

Closeup of the pitting and coarse texture on pistons #2.

Cylinder #4 had the same piston pitting and coarse texture.

Cylinder #6 as well.

What breaks off a piston must go somewhere, in this instance, embedded into the head. This head is shot!

Other side of cylinder #5's combustion chamber.

So, how do you like my choice to go 3L now? Yes, it could have been done cheaper, but I wanted a "fresh" engine to build on. I have no doubt that a lawyer will enjoy taking this case ... it's an open/shut case

ouch..man thats ugly,what would cause a piston to warp on the side like that..or melt or what ever happened?

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S

We NEVER, EVER knocked your decisions to go 3L. I think you're totally missing that point. We just think you started with the wrong (too old and expensive) engine.

Looks like good tuning ( ) cracked the ring land and then burne right through that piston. erson who built this turbo kit = Idiot

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Wow! Nice.

It has definitely been driven on a while like that too! All the breakage is embedded and the damaged areas baked with soot from burning oil.
When mine cracked, there was no sign of piting or damage to the top.

What a flake.

Yeah, that engine is toast. Just save it for knocking up your piping onto the engine while it is out of the car. Test fitting you know.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
So what's the word? Did the seller actually keep his promise and refund you some of the cash?

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Check arrived in the mail today ... now I just hope the damn thing clears his account (personal check). If not, just one more thing for the lawyer to enjoy

Enough about the possibilities of me recouping some of this loss, on to the project progress.

I will be porting the heads in the coming evenings (probably start tomorrow), but can only work a few hours at a time. The heads are off the engine since they went to the machine shop and got the valve job, so I will have the opportunity to port the combustion chamber area to lower the CR a bit since I'm planning on using the car to develop the turbo kit. I have a graduated pippet so I can cc the chamber volume to ensure uniformity in the cc measurements. I will post pictures as usual

I hope to be done with this process in about a week since I have a ton of stuff to do around the house

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
If i were you i would just call whatever bank he wrote the check off of and ask "Are the funds available?" before you deposit the check.

If you have the check in hand you will just need to give them the name and amount of the check to see if it is good. If they tell you they cannot do this then they are fidding to you...i work at a bank.

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I have a graduated pippet so I can cc the chamber volume to ensure uniformity in the cc measurements. I will post pictures as usual

Never heard of that!

J/k

Hey, if you can do it, use solvent instead of water. Water has a higher surface tension.
Whatever, it will work well enough either way, but alcohol will not bubble as much and although it is polar, it isn't as bad as water.

Good luck.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
If you plan on using alcohol use vodka - that way half for you, half for measuring the cc's.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 22 of 51 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard