Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 51 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 50 51
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I always reuse it. It's just a simple sheet of aluminum. Unless your a mroon and rip it taking it off - which would take a COMPLETE IDIOT - you can reuse it.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Stazi:
I always reuse it. It's just a simple sheet of aluminum. Unless your a mroon and rip it taking it off - which would take a COMPLETE IDIOT - you can reuse it.

Wow, I think I just save $40

Seriously though, thanks for setting that straight.

Got a call from the machine shop today to confirm the engine year/application because they where ordering the rings & bearings. Taking a long lunch tomorrow and going to pick up the TTY rod bolts & then adding them to the bag of TTY lower block bolts, rear main seal & valve stem seals. All the parts & factory rebuild manual will be then dropped off with the shop tomorrow at lunch. I hope to have it back before mid-week next week.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Make sure you give them the 2.5L assembly instructions as the 3L instructions are wrong when it comes to tightening the main bolts - they leave out stage 3 which is a final 90�° turn (more on this is the 3L forums) - but essentially give the the 2.5L instructions and you'll be good to go!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Don't forget the rod bolt incorrectness in some manuals as well. Extra 1/4 turn on the rod bolts was left out of some later manuals. This is on top of the 2 stage torquing.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by todras:
Don't forget the rod bolt incorrectness in some manuals as well. Extra 1/4 turn on the rod bolts was left out of some later manuals. This is on top of the 2 stage torquing.

That is why my rebuild manual is a "hybrid" with many pages from the 2.5L factory manual ... I already took care of this when I compiled the manual almost 3 years ago

Last edited by fastcougar; 12/22/05 02:57 PM.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
OK, I'm knee deep into this swap and I need some serious advice. The longer I keep this car, the longer I'm not recouping my losses here. On the flip side of that, I'm not going to rush this project to fit my vacation time this week ... besides, the swap has revieled MANY other issues that need to be addressed which involves ordering some parts which will not be here till next week. So, some down time between now and then is going to be planned for. During this time, I would like to also order a Torsen and send it and the tranny to a local transmission shop that has installed 2 Quaifes in different MTX-75's for DanG ... they have experience and since I'm in a pinch for getting this done in short order, I'm getting it to them instead of TH.

Since I intend on selling this car and recouping my losses as soon as possible AND wanting to do it right without cutting corners, I have decided to forgo the "test mule" option for the Contour. The turbo kit will be developed and tested on the Cougar instead. So, at this point, I'm looking to get advice on what I should do with this setup to get the most bang for the buck and also ask how much I can expect to get from the sale of this car. My current plans are this:

Car purchase = $11,500
3L purchase (includes shipping) = $600
3L TTY bolts/All Gaskets & valve stem seals = $408.98
3L engine work (hone/re-ring/clevite mains&rods) = $932.90
SPEC Stage I Clutch = $290 shipped
New SVT Flywheel = $110 shipped
--- Breakdown ---
* Rod Bearings (CB1772P +.25) = $37.29
* Main Bearings (MS2207P +.25) = $55.77
* Hone Cylinders = $48.00
* Regrind Rod & Main Journals = $135.00
* Cleaning = $45.00
* Rings = $116.26
* Disassemble & Reassemble short block = $280
* 3 angle valve job & fit valve stem seals = $180
* UPS Overnight on bearings = 25.10
* Sales Tax = $10.48
--- /Breakdown ---

Subtotal thus far = $13,841.88

That only leaves an LSD, which I think is a must to have. Prices vary based on vendor, but I should be able to get the LSD & bearings & speado gear & have it all fitted for roughly $950-$1,000.

So, let's just round up to be pessimistic and say we are looking at roughly $15,000 and AT MOST I could sell for what, $10,000??? What could I fetch minus the LSD? I'm wondering if the LSD + install is worth the ROI since I can't recoupe the cost from the purchase & fitment. Would you pay an extra $1,000 for this car with the LSD?

P.S. A detailed post will be coming tomorrow on the progress of the swap. As of tonight, the stock engine is on the floor next to the engine stand with the 3L block on it fresh from the machine shop visit. I have to call BAT tomorrow to order the LCA Ball joints (both are split - not my doing), along with tie rod ends, front sway bar end links & an intake system ... yet more money ...

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Should have just swapped in a 2.5 and sold the lemon. Forget all the trans upgrades,leave that to someone else. You will not re-coup it at this point. You could maybe get 8k for this car complete. My .02

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by livinsvt:
Should have just swapped in a 2.5 and sold the lemon. Forget all the trans upgrades,leave that to someone else. You will not re-coup it at this point. You could maybe get 8k for this car complete. My .02

I'm above that ... that is the same attitude that the [censored] that sold me this car took except that he left in the dead engine and I was a sucker. I refuse to take that same mentality towards this car.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by fastcougar:
Originally posted by livinsvt:

I'm above that ... that is the same attitude that the [censored] that sold me this car took except that he left in the dead engine and I was a sucker. I refuse to take that same mentality towards this car.

..yeah i'm not sure you'll recoupe much of anything..iirc sunniels car didnt go for too much more than 10k...and that was with a turbo, 400whp,leather recaro's..etc

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I paid $8,300 last week for a dead stock 99 SVT. Very clean, unusually low mileage car (28K mi). You might see more than from an enthusiast who appreciates the 3L - but I wouldn't count on it.

To see near what you paid for it, I think you will have to get the turbo charger working correctly. With all the visibility this car is getting here, I don't think you can cut too many corners! In for a penny in for a pound.

Once you get it sorted out, you won't want to sell it.

But if at that point you do want to sell and it�s demonstrably a solid car - I'll be interested in buying it!

I know whom you bought this from and all I can say is that he must be a total ass. How on earth was knowingly ripping you off worth the loss of his integrity and reputation? He should be making some serious god-damn amends to you. The only acceptable thing he can do now is to pick up the ENTIRE dollar cost of making this car right ââ?¬â?? and that does not even consider the time and aggravation its cost you.

Good luck to you FastCougar.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
Page 19 of 51 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard