Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 50 51
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I have suspected engine failure since I first drove the car. My first comments where that it felt like it was running on 5 cylinders. Well, tonight I decided to do a compression check on cylinder #5 since the CEL is for a misfire in cylinder #5 ... good place to start. I remove the plug and low and behold, I find this:

Plug is oil fouled and the threads are SOAKING in oil. Gap is unchanged at .035"

Damn cheap ass SUMMIT compression tester's threaded end is too short to fit in the cylinder for testing to confirm, but I have no doubt in my mind based on the condition of the plug that the cylinder is completely shot!!! I'm going to return the guage and get a leak down tester instead with multiple thread attachments.

I'm soo pissed right now!

The way I see it, I have 3 choices:

1) Sue the [censored] who sold me this piece of [censored]!
2) Keep it and rebuild the block and sell it
3) Keep it and drop in a 3L Hybrid and sell it for more

Last edited by fastcougar; 11/30/05 08:41 AM.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Ouch. sorry to hear about that, I could only imagine how pissed you could be. and.....
Pics dont work.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Picture are fixed, and I don't think ANYONE knows how pissed I am.

On Saturday, I uninstalled the exhaust system on the car an installed a stock exhaust system, removed all the wheels and cleaned them very well in preperation for selling them to recoupe some of my loss on this total pile of a car.

I spent 2 hours last night removing the turbo system and ran into problems there as well. I snapped a turbine flange bolt. It's still in the turbine housing, about 2 threads deep

Gee, I wonder why?

I then discovered that I could only remove 4 bolts on a 5 bolt flange ... a bolt was missing! NEVER installed evident by the exhaust leak.

What do I expect, these guys couldn't fabricate their way out of a paper bag ... they can't even get flanges to line up

I removed the turbo to find possibly the WORST welding job man has ever produced. I swear, a monkey could weld better!

The list goes on and on. I will document the entire thing in a reply to this thread ... I'm too pissed right now and can't think straight

Last edited by fastcougar; 11/30/05 09:21 AM.
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Who did you kit?!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Jesus!
Some of those welding rods probably broke off and went through the turbine which I bet is screwed now because of that.

One consolation is that with the down pipe missing one bolt - mine is the same you simply CANNOT install a bolt in that position.

Regardless - you got a shoddy car. It's fixable but I would be looking at a new motor after seeing that plug. I would take the turbo kit of and go through every piece to fix any FUBARs (lkike the ones you found) as you comer across them.

EDIT: Please post a pic of the down pipe/wastegate setup we were all wondering about.

Last edited by Stazi; 11/30/05 01:55 PM.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Man sorry to hear that. I'd bet money that the cylinder has a piston with cracked ring lands.
Not much you can do but get a new block.

If the car is really clean, you can easily drop in a 3L oval using stock svt cams and intake and it will become a really nice car worth quite a bit more.

Otherwise, people are looking for all kinds of builder SVT's right now. Find out what the going rates are for both.

Suing someone is always difficult. Document everything with your pictures and then determine if the person has any money or physical property that you can attach if you are awarded a judgement.
Normally I'd say you are screwed if it was sold as-is, but if they said it runs good and sold it as is, then you have visual proof then engine doesn't run good. That plug is showing quite a few miles on it with it fouling out, it didn't just happen so it is pretty solid proof that the problem was preexisting.
As far as the turbo pipes, you may just end up rebuilding them and fabricating some better sections.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Stazi:

One consolation is that with the down pipe missing one bolt - mine is the same you simply CANNOT install a bolt in that position.

Actually, MINE uses all five bolts. I specifically built it with the right kind of turn that allows all five bolts to be used. It wasn't hard to do either.
This is the first I've heard that the kit's don't use the 5th bolt. Is it just yours?
Actually, both down pipes I built used all 5 bolts.

You can't even put one bolt into the flange before you put it up to the turbo?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
The bend is too sharp on my downpipe to allow a bolt to fit. When I reinstall the kit after I redo my engine, I'm gonna see if I can use a stud in that location.

I've never had an issue with it not being there - so I never worried too much about it.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
OH you bought THAT car! I would be very angry! You prob paid a premium price too. Where is this arse clown located?!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
What car is that? I'm guessing it's the grey SVT from fordcontour.org? How could you not know that car would be hacked? We saw the pics of it.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard