Print Thread
#1447961 11/30/05 02:28 AM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
My CD4E has a leaking servo cover.
I've done some reading on other sites about this. A few people have claimed you can use a bottle jack to raise the assembly and compress the heavy spring inside. Remove the retainer ring, the assembly comes after. Then repalce the seals,retainer and your done?
Can someone enlighten me if this is true?

THX in advance.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Sure you can take a servo apart that way but you will never be able to reinstall it without the correct tools. Bring to a tranny shop and for about 70 bucks they will change the seal for you.

Don�t try the bottle jack unless you want to pay for the tow also,

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
What type of tools are required?
As long as it goes in straight, all should be good.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
From Ford CD,

Removal
The intermediate and overdrive servo is accessible from the bottom of the transaxle.

1. Note: Servicing the intermediate and overdrive servo in the vehicle is only recommended in the event of a leak. If servicing is required due to a servo condition, it is necessary to remove and disassemble the transaxle to inspect the intermediate and overdrive band assembly and direct clutch for damage.

Raise vehicle on hoist.

2. WARNING: THE SERVO COVER IS UNDER HIGH SPRING PRESSURE.

Note: To aid in the installation of the servo cover, install a nut with an integral washer (using a permanent thread sealer) onto the forcing bolt of the Servo Cover Remover/Replacer T94P-77000-L.

Install Servo Cover Remover/Replacer T94P-77000-L and compress the servo cover assembly.

3. Remove the servo cover retaining ring and release the tension on the servo cover assembly slowly.

4. After releasing all tension on the servo cover assembly, remove the servo tool.

5. Remove the servo cover assembly and intermediate and overdrive servo piston and return spring.

6. Inspect the intermediate and overdrive servo piston and servo cover assembly for nicks or cuts and replace if necessary.

Installation

1. Lubricate the intermediate and overdrive servo, servo bore and servo cover assembly with a light coat of transmission fluid.

2. Install the intermediate and overdrive servo piston and return spring into the transaxle case.

3. Install Servo Cover Remover/Replacer T94P-77000-L.

4. Tighten center screw to compress the intermediate and overdrive servo into the bore.

5. Note: If the servo cover will seat deep enough in the bore to install the servo cover retaining ring, use a blunt punch or small hammer and gently tap the cover around the outer edge until the servo cover retaining ring can be installed.

Install servo cover retaining ring into transaxle case.

6. Remove servo tool.

7. Lower the vehicle. Check the fluid level prior to road testing.

You need to get the servo tool from a Ford dealer or from Bill Jenkins at www.teamfordparts.com

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Here is a good one.
The servo cover and o-rings are $14. I went to two tranny shops and they quoted me from $180-210 to do the job!
Why is this special tool(t94p-77000-L) so important?
It doesn't look like much and how does it mount to the trans when in use?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"Why is this special tool(t94p-77000-L) so important?"
This is why.
2. WARNING: THE SERVO COVER IS UNDER HIGH SPRING PRESSURE.

Note: To aid in the installation of the servo cover, install a nut with an integral washer (using a permanent thread sealer) onto the forcing bolt of the Servo Cover Remover/Replacer T94P-77000-L.

Install Servo Cover Remover/Replacer T94P-77000-L and compress the servo cover assembly.

3. Remove the servo cover retaining ring and release the tension on the servo cover assembly slowly.

4. After releasing all tension on the servo cover assembly, remove the servo tool.

In addition, the nut with integral washer has part number N621943-S2

"It doesn't look like much and how does it mount to the trans when in use?"
The forcing bolt/nut with integral wahser goes on the center of the servo cover and the other two ends will only fit on two other places.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I've done this about 4 or 5 times. if your careful a bottle jack will work just fine. You can purchase new servo and cap from www.bulkpart.com.

Snap ring if needed is Ford item.

This is easy to do. Coat seals with new atx oil when inseting them.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Oh yes, one more thing. If the servo cap will not come out because of rust, etc. Just drill a small hole in center of cover and thread a screw in and pull it out. I had to do this on one of my cars.

Bob

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Oh Yeah, the parts person claimed there is three types of servos in the CD4E. Which one do I need?
95 Contour GL 2.0 Z-tec.
Do you have to drain the fluid?
I was thinking of putting a medium size socket on the end of my bottle jack. Then I won't have to push on the uneven surface of the cover.
What about the main spring inside, renew?

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
You need to drain the atx. Spring should be fine unless you visually note cracking, etc.

You have to pull the servo piston out and see how many rings on the shaft. You order by number of rings....of course you don't know until you pull it out and once it is out you then need to order and wait for shipment. What you could do since the servo cover is so cheap. Buy two. take off the old one and count the rings. assemble back together with new cap. Order new servo piston and then take apart again when it arrives. Spare cap is in case you bend cap, leaks, etc.

Bob

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard