Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1445898 12/06/05 04:30 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoââ??¢:

This is not from personal experience, but my friend swapped his bearings in his honduh when they started to go and he replaced em with clevites and the knock has not come back. Granted he's no mechanical genius so...Todd I am holding judgement, and would research, but finals are this week.

Yea WHEN THEY STARTED TO GO! His bearings are already wiped out. SOMETIMES it can be saved if you catch it very early. Guys on SHOForum have saved Yamaha's as well. Tell me when the bearings and rods have that much scoring what happens? Metal has to go somewhere doesn't it? Where does it go and what happens? Digs into the rod bearing and crank creating pits, gouge's and other imperfections. The tolerances are so tight it's incredible.

True.

Plasti gauge it before you spend ANY MONEY on new bearings.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
#1445899 12/06/05 04:52 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T

New bearings in a ripped up rod won't even be retained by the rod & will spin instantly! Don't waste your time on the crank either. From that amount of wear NEW CRANK.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1445900 12/06/05 04:55 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Ditch the rebuild & go straight into a 3L.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1445901 12/06/05 04:55 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M

New bearings in a ripped up rod won't even be retained by the rod & will spin instantly! Don't waste your time on the crank either. From that amount of wear NEW CRANK.

I'm just saying the plasti gauge will PROVE it either way. He seems dead set on throwing new bearings in.

#1445902 12/06/05 07:10 PM
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
You don't know squat about how an engine works.

And your ASME certification number is?

And you have been working one engines for how many years?

Have you ever had the oil pan off of an engine?

#1445903 12/06/05 07:19 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by sysanalyst:
You don't know squat about how an engine works.

And your ASME certification number is?

And you have been working one engines for how many years?

Have you ever had the oil pan off of an engine?

And wtf is your certification!? I know for a fact he has gone as far into an engine as anyone can possibly go. I agree with him to a point, but I could give a rats ass about that certification. If all those monkeys at various dealerships are certified then AFAIC the system is a complete joke.

The point is that he has prob ruined the motor...I am trying to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and have him plasti gauge it.

The only thing you have done is come on and shaken things up without any other input yourself. So I ask you wtf is your certification and who are you to talk!?

The majority of us happen to know what todd has done with these cars.

#1445904 12/06/05 07:33 PM
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
I am trying to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and have him plasti gauge it.

Not sure he is a kid; but at any rate the plasti-gauge requires new bearings be on hand. A caliper (even a cheapie) can be used to determine the average journal diameter using statistical samples taken at random points along the bearing journal surface. This can be compared to the actual manufacturing tolerances listed in shop manual.

As far as experience, I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Michigan where I graduated in the top 5 percent of my graduating class. During the course of my studies, I picked up an ASME certificaion, although I've not kept it current, I suppose I could take the recertification exam at any point and pass.

#1445905 12/06/05 07:58 PM
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
No offense to you Sys, but spouting your degrees in here means as much to us as if we had just wiped our asses with them (it's all just material waiting to be flushed). There are plenty of smart people in the world that still can't pour piss out of a boot.

Putting new bearings in that engine will not last period.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
#1445906 12/06/05 08:00 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
He recently posted pics of his homecoming float and the pics of his car are in his HS shop class garage.

Also I forgot that yes you would need he new bearings on hand for the plasti gauge...oops, brain fart.

#1445907 12/06/05 08:14 PM
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
No offense to you Sys, but spouting your degrees in here means ....

As far as "spouting off".... I was asked, in a vlugar tone mind you, what my qualifications were. I did not "spout". Spout would infer that I just started "bragging" and "mouthing off". That is indeed not what was done.

In this case of a person with a sick engine, they simply asked for advice. In my experience, I've had luck with worn/rough crank journals using "tri-metal" bearings. That was the advice I was giving. Sure would be nice for that person to install a new engine. Maybe that is what will eventually happen. In this case, the individual indicated that they are not financially prepared to take on a project of that magnitude at the moment. I merely offered an opinion on what could be done.

If I managed to offend anybody on this forum, I surely do apologize to them.

I'll look for the link to terminate my membership here.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard