Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rsaxour Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
I have a 2000 Contour SE automatic V6. It would act like it was not getting fuel when I tried to accel on the highways. It finally just gave out. Our mechanic said that it was the fuel pump so my husband changed it. The car ran but ended up dying on the highway again and needed to be jumped. Now it sounds like it wants to turn over but it won't. Any suggestions???

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Have you replaced the fuel pump relay? The PCM relay? May want to try some of these less expensive items first as they are less expensive and fail more often.

R
rsaxour Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
Sorry but being a woman and trying to get my car fixed it hell. Hubby doesn't seem to willing to try and find the problem. Should I take it to a dealership and have it looked at? How much $$$ are we talking if I go that route? I need the car to get the kids to school and me to work!?!

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Dealerships will always be expensive. If they find a $5 part that has gone bad, expect at least a $100 repair bill.

If you look through your owners manual, look up the "fuses" section of the manual. There are drawings of the location of the relays. In many cases you can swap "critical" relays (fuel pump/PCM) with "non-critical" relays (rear defrost, power windows, power windows). This is a cheap way to find out if a simple cheap relay is broken. Housewives are really good about reading and doing this kind of stuff so don't be afraid about doing a little work here. Let me know if it works out.

R
rsaxour Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
Thanks. I went out and it started but it's still acting like its doing the "chuga". I pulled it forward about 2 inches and it died. Started it again, gave it gas, and it died again. Getting ready to replace the fuel filter. If that doesn't work, I will check the fuses and try that. Thanks for the tips and I will let you know how it goes.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You could have a weak battery or alternator won't charge the battery. Ask people you know about repair shops, or brace yourself and try the dealer.

R
rsaxour Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
Switched out the relays and that wasn't the problem but the battery did die when we was working on it. I noticed a lot of crud around the battery terminal so maybe that is the problem. Yea, lets try and get him back outside to jump the car. LOL

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I hate that crud on the battery. Mix up some baking soda and water and rinse it off, then clean the contact areas on the battery and clamp, reconnect and when you get the car running check for 14 volts or so on the posts, if you have a voltmeter.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Make sure to clean up the battery terminal posts really good. A battery terminal brush can usually be purchased for under $5. If you are going to get the battery swapped out, go to Wal-Mart or a Sams club (if you are a member). The more expensive batteries will offer better warranties. Finally, go to an AutoZone and have them test the charging system. They will do this for free. This will help you in the event that the alternator is on it's way out.

Hope all goes well for you.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
I hate that crud on the battery. Mix up some baking soda and water and rinse it off, then clean the contact areas on the battery and clamp, reconnect and when you get the car running check for 14 volts or so on the posts, if you have a voltmeter.

Also put some lithium grease to prevent further corrosion after cleaning.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard