Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
DanG Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Cougars have an "access" port, as you call it, but it's only half as big as it needs to be to get to the ring.

Dropped the tank last night, didn't find anything "unusual", per se, but found a few things that we corrected in order to make a *possible* difference.

The pump itself appeared fine- It was snugly in the fitting, the screen was only a little nasty. We noticed that the screen was actually somwhat smashed at the bottom where it was hitting the bottom of the tank (Walbro's longer than stock), so I took some more plastic off the top of the pump to fit it into the gasket fitting a bit more. Also, we noticed something interesting. This pic is a bit rough, hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

The picture shows the top of the pump housing with the pump installed. You can see the top of the fuel pump as viewed from the perspective of the fuel outlet. It's off center- By a good bit, too... Maybe a restriction? We removed some of that obstructive plastic to open her up a bit. Then, we trimmed down the outlet line to allow more of a "chamber" for the fuel to travel rather than immediately being "shoved" around a corner into an off-centered hole.

We re-assembled everything, took it for a test run, and she held 60psi at WOT all the way up at 12.5psi (after spinning through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... Amazing what running a chip with the secondaries turned on will get you... ). Also, somehow the noise has gone- Barely audible now, just like when I first fired it up.

Then, thinking all was well, I went to fill up (had less than 1/8 tank left), and about 10gal. into the fill, fuel started POURING out of the bottom of the car.

Think I may have busted the fill tube gasket... It appears to be coming from the filler neck.

Oh, and poo-poo on whoever designed the thing- You can't get the filler breather tube hose back on for beans unless you drop the entire fill tube! There's just not enough slack!

Dan G. and his Cougar Forged internal (Diamond & Pauter) full 3L, "Monster" Kinger F/I cut & P&P, T3/4 60 trim .82A/R ADC turbo, SPEC Stage 3, Torsen, Greddy Profec-B SPEC II, Apex'i Timer, Lots of Gauges! Used to have: 3.0L SVT hybrid
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
So overall you now have enough fuel. Excellent.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by DanG:
Cougars have an "access" port, as you call it, but it's only half as big as it needs to be to get to the ring.

So much work for taking some snips and cuttin an access area. No one will even know but you. Good you figured out the issue though.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by todras:

So much work for taking some snips and cuttin an access area. No one will even know but you. Good you figured out the issue though.

Exactly my thought! Shoulda just cut the damned thing.

BTW, this is the same engine that you used the Mazda6 exhaust cam in right?

Yea, as far as the 12psi and the spinning out in 3rd...Yep...I know exactly what you mean. Funny, people who haven't experienced that kind of power don't really know how fast and powerfull they really can be.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
D
DanG Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Yup... 3L oval port intakes, Mazda 6 exhaust cams.

Just dropped the subframe outta her- Turns out both of my swaybar endlinks had torn- One completely off... Fun. Good thing I know a good welder!

Dan G. and his Cougar Forged internal (Diamond & Pauter) full 3L, "Monster" Kinger F/I cut & P&P, T3/4 60 trim .82A/R ADC turbo, SPEC Stage 3, Torsen, Greddy Profec-B SPEC II, Apex'i Timer, Lots of Gauges! Used to have: 3.0L SVT hybrid
T
I have no life
I have no life
T

Just dropped the subframe outta her- Turns out both of my swaybar endlinks had torn- One completely off... Fun. Good thing I know a good welder!

You mean sway bar brackets right?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by todras:

Exactly my thought! Shoulda just cut the damned thing.

My SHO doesn't have any access. Someone figured out the location to cut on SHOForum. Just followed the measurements and cut a hatch with my wheel. Bent the hatch back, replaced the FP and spray painted the exposed metal and bent her back and then filled with RTV. Good to go. Dropping tank=PITA.

This...

and this...

is muuuuch easier than this...

D
DanG Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Yes, I meant swaybar mounts...

All is well, turns out I popped the fill neck seal into the tank and was running around with no seal on the tank, causing the horrific fuel loss. Got a new seal (old one was ripped), also threw in a little "upgrade" while I was there. Boxed the control arms as well as the swaybar mounts:

Linky

All in all, turned out pretty well. Drove it around tonight, 13psi of boost, never went below 40psi of oil pressure. Best part, I didn't leave a trail of fuel behind me! Anyone got a match?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Good thing you're not a smoker that ashes out the window!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Nice subframe fix but WHY didn't you convert over to the twin bolt style swaybare bracket and mounts? That stid tab-and-bolt setup they gave us on our cars SUCKS!

NOTE TO SELF: Buy a welder!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard