Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I don't bother with jump packs for my car and truck cause they're both manual so i can b/s em

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M

Originally posted by gearhead:
When you push the car and then let out the clutch in 1st gear, the engine spins, the alternator puts out voltage and it starts. From there on, it's normal operation.

Thatâ??s not quite true. The alternator needs a field current to produce a magnetic field for the stator. Rotation of the stator in the field produces current. With an alternator, you need current to produce current. In the old days when generators were used, you could get current by rotating the generator because of â??residual magnetismâ? stored in the generator from the fact that the generator is a DC device (alternators produce AC that is rectified to DC). A magnetic field produced by DC current can be used to magnetize and one produce by an AC current can be used to de-magnetize.

To push start car with a PCM and FI, you need at least enough voltage in the battery to run the PCM and enough current to fire the injectors and produce spark.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
When you push the car and then let out the clutch in 1st gear, the engine spins, the alternator puts out voltage and it starts. From there on, it's normal operation.

Yes and no. The car may be running normally but the alternator is producing its maximum output to try to keep the car running and charge the battery. If the battery is not charged soon it is a good way to kill the alternator.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by mercman:

Thatâ??s not quite true. The alternator needs a field current to produce a magnetic field for the stator. Rotation of the stator in the field produces current. With an alternator, you need current to produce current. In the old days when generators were used, you could get current by rotating the generator because of â??residual magnetismâ? stored in the generator from the fact that the generator is a DC device (alternators produce AC that is rectified to DC). A magnetic field produced by DC current can be used to magnetize and one produce by an AC current can be used to de-magnetize.

To push start car with a PCM and FI, you need at least enough voltage in the battery to run the PCM and enough current to fire the injectors and produce spark.

jeff

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
I never bothered with the funky cig lighter ones, instead I got a bigass booster battery

It's not even that big of one, but powerful as heck. I think I started the car at least 8 or so times off it when our battery died ... maybe 10 times, either way that was over like a year and I never charged it lol...

Then I did charge it It was funny though because our mechanic tried to jump start the car with his big ole buick's battery but didn't get anything but cranking, I plugged mine in, he was like.. WTF? No way!

It fired right up

I'd love to try a cig lighter one for that factor

But uh, yeah.. that was back when we didn't have a way to drive the car so it just sat in the driveway, now we can And that's fun!

1995 Mercury Mystique 2.0 (125hp of FURY!) 2006 Chrysler 300C 5.7
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by 5V7 Dr1v3r627:
bump starting has saved my ass a couple times, but with the beater, not the CSVT

^

HAHAHA....NICE!

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Ray:
so its:

neutral..
push car..
hop in..
clutch in..
1st gear..
DUMP CLUTCH OUT THEN BACK IN..

car is running...
start driving like normal.

1st gear? I've always done that in 2nd or 3rd. Especially when I've had friends pushing the car...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I had to bump start my RX7 all the time because it would flood the engine while parked. Stupid rotary. My car got nicknamed the Bobsled because we'd have to push it down the hill in the parking lot.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
When the starter on my old svt died, I parked the car on the huge hill of a driveway i have. When I went to drop the car off to have the car fixed while I was at work i just let the parking brake off put the car in first let it start rolling backwards and clutched out and then clutched in once it started.

I prolly should have put it in reverse in that situation but I wasnt thinking :P

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Looks like you took the "turn your damn lights on" thread a little too seriously.

--T.J.

2000 SVT Contour, Black, stock, no tickets yet... www.seismicradio.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard