Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
No I didn't get in an accident. I went to work and left my lights on (for 4 hours!) I came out of work and tryed to unlock the doors using my remote fob. I thought it was odd it did not work. I started to wonder if I drained the battery. No dome lights. Turned the key. Nothing. No clicking, dead . My grandpa came and jumped it. I charged it for about a hour and a half. Now he's purring again

96 Contour GL 2.0, ATX "Herman" 101K "A Clean zetec is happy zetec"
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
if it's an MTX i would've just bump started.

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
It's a ATX.

96 Contour GL 2.0, ATX "Herman" 101K "A Clean zetec is happy zetec"
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by 5V7 Dr1v3r627:
if it's an MTX i would've just bump started.

how does that work anyways? like, what is the technical reason why that works? doesnt the starter need power to start up?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
You are skipping the starter.

the starter cranks the flywheel fast enough to create the compression/ignition in the cylinders to get the engine going in its cycle.

you are skipping the ELECTRICALLY DRIVEN starter and MANUALLY driving the flywheel fast enough by rolling the car in N, (flywheel stays still) and then putting it in gear and dumping the clutch fast (pops the flywheel in to rotation, matching the cars speed.. enough to start the process like the starter would do.

You just have to make sure you depress the clutch again after you dump it.. or else the car dies from being at a near stop (can't maintain idle at that low of a speed) and you are back to square one (pushing the car in neutral to gain speed)

so its:

neutral..
push car..
hop in..
clutch in..
1st gear..
DUMP CLUTCH OUT THEN BACK IN..

car is running...
start driving like normal.

Can be done in "R"everse if you are pushing the car backwards, as well.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
bump starting has saved my ass a couple times, but with the beater, not the CSVT

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
When you push the car and then let out the clutch in 1st gear, the engine spins, the alternator puts out voltage and it starts. From there on, it's normal operation.

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
That's happened to me a couple of times. Once by leaving the lights on, the other because of a weak battery, while the engine was still running. The speedometer was fluctuating wildly and cut off while I was in a line to get gas at Costco. The attendant pushed me out of the line, and a few minutes later, they closed. I was pissed.

I heard of this thing that you plug into the cig lighter to "jumpstart" from inside the car. I only glanced at it in a car mag. Has anyone ever used a thing like that? Just curious.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
We have one in every car we have at our house.

Can be used three times to start the car.

They also sell a rechargable version that you can simply charge in your car while running.. then unplug it to save the charge for whenever you want (3 or 4 starts per charge)

Work great.. work flawlessly.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Sweet! I should get one.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard