Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
well tonite is D day to see if she will fire up, have to replace the pcv, throw the spark plugs in, wires, make sure the friggin timing belt is on right. about hour worth of work, new gaskets all the way around on the upper end. Just hope the guy didnt heat it up enought to where the bottom end is knockin to come out, ill post results later tonite

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Any luck?

H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
ok everything is on except the upper mount and a few brackets, why put the mount on if timing is off. Anyways drained the oil, and this is no exageration, but oil filter was like a lead weight alittle coolant came out, no oil, undid the oil pan plug and coolant came out , and then it was like hot fudge coming out of the oil pan. SO drain the pan, put in a quart of lucas oil, and 3.75 quarts of oil, turn it over to prime the motor. Rechecked everything, Getting spark, fuel pump is turning on as well you can hear the relays click, compression is good, check engine light does go off when the engine cranks, so the crank and cam sensor are working, new water pump, new timing belt, new gaskets for the upper end of the engine. Plan is once motor is running get it operating temperature to lossen up the crap in the motor and drain and put fresh stuff in. But the car still wont start. The firing order, I found is
1-4-3-2 Got that off of about.com, and autozone repair area. On the coil its still original, and thats marked for the cylinders, so we know the wires are correct. Now here is the question I have on the crank pulley there is 2 notches. the notch closest to the holes on the pulley is the correct one to line up to on timing correct? Or is it the second notch? The diagrams we saw shows closest to the holes in the balancer. Lining up to the bottom edgee of the pointer on the block. Making sure cylinder one is TDC. Which it is based on the notch closest to the 3 holes in the balncer/pulley. We cranked the engine over , still refuses to start. Getting fuel to the plugs because we took out the plug 1 and 3 and they were both wet with fuel. Not enough fuel pressure? Bad gas? I do not know how long the car has been sitting i failed to ask that but it is a full tank in the car. But my hunch is since I havent grabbed the fuel pressure tester yet, if pump is turning on and plugs are getting fuel, and there is spark. Fuel system is fine. But who knows, i mean look where the pcv valve is on these motors . So it leads me to believe its possible the timing isnt correct. Using the wrong notch on the balancer is my guess. I just hope the pickup isnt clogged on the oil pump cause of that sludge i saw coming out of the motor. . So Im kind of clueless now to as why its not firing but I am leaning towards timing is off. But I really dont think it is but, one never knows since these motors are super sensitive to timing. When they run good, they run great, when they are under the weather, well you all know how the Zetec's get. Am i over looking the obvious? As the journey continues to solve this bizarre mystery. OH before I forget, There is a sense by the pcvb valve that goes into the tranny, I do not kn ow what sensor it is or whats its purpose but that connector to that sensor is destroyed. Anyone know what that sensor is? I was thinking something to do with Traction control if the car has it, havent looked yet. Maybe one of you can shed some light on it. I know I need to replace the connector going to the coolant sensor, wires are frayed by the connector and that one going to a non removable sensor going to the trans. Just like to hear the car fire so I can determine if I have to put new bearings in the bottom end. Thanks for your time

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Making sure cylinder one is TDC.

My guess is still that valve timing is off.

The big three need to be in order for an engine to start.

1) Start by checking the spark. Remove a spark plug, reconnect a wire to it and ground it. Have somebody crank the engine while you look to see if it is sparking.

Got Spark?

2) Fuel. You've already checked this one. You've said that there is a gas smell while cranking. We can safely assume you are getting gas.

Got Fuel?

3) Compression. Do you have a compression tester? Check the compression by removing all of the plugs. Crank the engine and look for compression at each cylinder. If you are low on some/all cylinders, I'd suspect crank to valve timing is off. (especially when you reported backfiring).

Got compression?

Even if the rings are worn to an extreme, the engine will still fire and run, albeit with a lot of smoke rolling off the exhaust.

Just make very sure that the cam and crank are properly phased. I have the '97 Ford Automobile CD and am in the process of looking up the valve timing setting procedures. Stay tuned....

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
The CD section on Contour Zetec says;

19. Turn the engine to top dead center.
20. Using Camshaft Alignment Tool T94P-6256-CH and Camshaft Sprocket Holding Tool T74P-6256-B, align the camshafts by installing tool into slots on rear of camshafts.

Installation:

1. Loosely install timing belt tensioner, bolt, and belt. Adjust belt tension. Tighten bolts to 35-40 N-m (26-30 lb-ft).

Picture of plug wire routing...

H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
yes got lots of spark, getting fuel, Im gonna do the TDC the old fashion way put a screw driver in the spark plug hole and do it that way, i used a alignment tool, even had to loosen the cam sprockets to make sure timing belt was tight putting it on counter clockwise. Ill have to agree with you I think the timing is off as well but did you find out anything on the 2 knotches on the balancer? Just curious to know. Yes I have a compression checker. but anyways I know it has to be lined up with the tab on the block but is it the second one or first one, one book says, first the other shows close to the holes. We had the cams aligned so I know those are right I think maybe TDC isnt fully TDC so I guess a screwdriver resting in the spark plug will show me best TDC versus the timing notch on the balancer and block. But number one cylinder is passenger side correct becuz based on the picture you show its the driver side which is number one. Maybe im just getting aggravated and just throwing wrenches at it instead of stepping back and evaluating the scenario

yes based on the picture number one is drivers side.. well if thats correct then I know exactly what the problem is. firing order..... ya know its the most obvious thing you always over look if this is what i see based on the picture.

Last edited by Halogram; 11/29/05 08:10 AM.
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Quote:

But number one cylinder is passenger side correct becuz based on the picture you show its the driver side which is number one.

The picture above is misleading with respect to the numbering scenario. The circled #1 indicated "ignition wires" in general. I don't believe it had anything to do with which plug/cylinder is #1. The purpose of putting that picture up was to give you an idea about how to connect the wires to the coil as there may have been some concern on which wire went to which plug. I'll have to look at that CD again and find out which is which number wise, but I'd guess #1 would be nearest to the "front" of the engine.

H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by sysanalyst:
Quote:

The purpose of putting that picture up was to give you an idea about how to connect the wires to the coil as there may have been some concern on which wire went to which plug.

I know how to connect the wires to the coil I work on cars for a living . But anyways What I need to know is Firing order is 1-4-3-2 or 1-3-4-2

which is Correct?

If that is firing order next question is looking at the motor from the front of the car is it 1-2-3-4 or 4-3-2-1

Problem Ive seen to many contradictory things in books and sites. One says this is the way shows the coil numbered one way, then ill see another one and the coil is numbered another way. OK

Next thing I need to know is Look at this picture.

Based on this picture it is notch closest to the holes in the pulley is this correct?

If so then the motor is timed like it should be. Cams were aligned, and I used tire crayon to highlight the notch and the key on the side of the block. The timing belt was put on backwards and we lossened the cam sprokets to get any play out of the belt from crank to exhaust cam, exhaust cam to intake cam. No play there what so ever. Well lets start with this and see if I have something backwards or not done properly.

Last edited by Halogram; 11/29/05 03:28 PM.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Note that Chilton on demand has the spark plug wiring order incorrect for the Zetec (per this thread).

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1039060&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
yes check all sensors. if a sensor is bad like the cam sensor. the engine will crank but will never start.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard