Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1437686 11/16/05 09:42 PM
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I've done some searching in the forums and in the archives and have not had any success in the F/I forums. So here it goes...

Knowing the limitations of the current supercharger "tuner kit" available for the contours, I was interested in the design where S/C was driven by the cam gear. I have seen it done on a cavalier here in Toronto, does anyone have any experience with it on a contour?

Additionaly what burden could this cause on the internals of the burdened cam vs the unburdend cam?

PS- I know that turbos are better

99 Mystique 2.5l Koni/HR Suspension K&N Cold Air,Diablo Chip SVT TB, MSDS, OPT-Y, Bosal
#1437687 11/16/05 09:44 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Seeing as the pulley on the only usable cam (bank2 exhaust cam) runs the W/P AND it uses a belt 1/2" wide, I doubt it would have enough grip to drive any supercharger worth a dam. Plus the extra stress on the thin cam could cause it to snap.

Not feasible at all.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
#1437688 11/17/05 02:15 AM
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by Stazi:
Seeing as the pulley on the only usable cam (bank2 exhaust cam) runs the W/P AND it uses a belt 1/2" wide, I doubt it would have enough grip to drive any supercharger worth a dam. Plus the extra stress on the thin cam could cause it to snap.

Not feasible at all.

I know there would have to be an addition of a correct pully, or the equivalent of a very short jack shaft (wash my mouth out with soap). My concern was with the "snapping" of the cam.. Is the cam rod significantly weaker/thinner than the vorcrap jack shaft??

You seemed definitive in your answer "not feasable at all"

I'm going to check with RSM racing (the company that has use the modified cam pully, or something attached to it, I'm not sure) about the reliability and success wrt breakdowns and boost)

Any one ever seen this in action?

99 Mystique 2.5l Koni/HR Suspension K&N Cold Air,Diablo Chip SVT TB, MSDS, OPT-Y, Bosal
#1437689 11/17/05 02:38 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Actually there have been camshaft driven superchargers on cars before and they work well. Pontiac made one in.... '87 I think.

That is why that new waterpump assembly for the later duratecs looks so promising. It could drive something else besides a pump.

Also, the camshaft is probably as strong or stronger than a standard cam because it is tubular. Didn't you invent the Aussie bar based on the strength of tubular steel and lighter weight?

The metal is also work hardened when the cam components are installed as the ball bearing pressed through the center expands the metal.
I'd say if you used it with a cogged belt and didn't demand too much pressure out of the system that it would work fine. I'm sure it would have different longevity versus the other cams and chains on the other bank though. I'd personally use a different method, but it's possible.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1437690 11/17/05 06:33 AM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
The shaft of Vortech is not the weakness, it's the connection point. Which with proper upgrading works just fine. Vortech has changed the shaft connection point. I do not know of any issues, but I also do not know anyone that has one either....LOL

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L
#1437691 11/19/05 05:47 AM
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
the cam will not take the stresses of running a SC.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
#1437692 11/19/05 04:03 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by NothernMystique:

Not feasible at all.

I know there would have to be an addition of a correct pully, or the equivalent of a very short jack shaft (wash my mouth out with soap). My concern was with the "snapping" of the cam.. Is the cam rod significantly weaker/thinner than the vorcrap jack shaft??

You seemed definitive in your answer "not feasable at all"

I'm going to check with RSM racing (the company that has use the modified cam pully, or something attached to it, I'm not sure) about the reliability and success wrt breakdowns and boost)

Any one ever seen this in action?

Engineers have the right to be difinitive in their answers because the usually know what they are talking about.

Even if it was do you really wanna spend the extra dough to make something like this when the ADC turbo kit is out there!?

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
#1437693 11/19/05 06:34 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Typical Newbie behaviour - thinks he's going to do something revolutionary and instead ends up fading into oblivion, never to be heard from again.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
#1437694 11/19/05 07:47 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I did that on a board once. I wanted to put a toyota V6 in an MR2...they told me to go to hell and that it has been done before, but that it wasn't a worthy swap considering the HP:$

This was 4 years ago tho. I've learned all too much since then.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
#1437695 11/20/05 02:23 AM
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Typical Newbie behaviour - thinks he's going to do something revolutionary and instead ends up fading into oblivion, never to be heard from again.

Sorry about the delay Stazi, I do not have the opportunity to spend as much time on the boards as you do. It seems like you felt I was disrespecting your first post. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, that was not the intention.

I have seen a Cam drive a supercharger on several Chevy's. Respectfully I do not assume to know the differences between a Chevrolet Cam and Ford Cam. I merely suggest that if it is successful on another vehicle maybe it could work on ours.

I should also point out the fact that since I saw it on another car, the application would not be revolutionary as you suggest.

I'm not sure what discipline of engineering you've been licensed(I assume Mech)I'm a licensed P.Eng (indy) so I won't try to challenge your stress and shear knowledge if you've done the math, and you say the load will snap the Cam I can respect that.

I will add that you'd get better respect if you helped newbies or non-technical people understand rather than summarily dismiss them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard