Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
which systems?

Now... I'd like to find the designers of the Dodge Intrepid (or any LH car) and punch them in the eye. I have a long list of "WTF were you thinking?" items for that car... but not really for the Contour.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by morbid:
which systems?

Now... I'd like to find the designers of the Dodge Intrepid (or any LH car) and punch them in the eye. I have a long list of "WTF were you thinking?" items for that car... but not really for the Contour.

Ohh, I know what you're talking about. I would personally like to talk to the dumbass engineer at Chrysler who decided to put the battery in the wheel well. That is such a great location, you know, cause when you battery goes dead, you must remove the passenger's side front wheel to jump it.

As for WTF were you thinking on the Contour. How about the power window switches on 1998+ Contour, they are the most poorly located switches I've seen in a long time? Or how about that stupid armrest in the 1998+ Contour and Mystique? What about the purse holder on the glovebox lid of some Mystiques that makes it look like the glove box handle is broken? Or how about that cubby to the right of the steering wheel that is pratically useless?

As for the dash warp, mine was starting to do it, but I got rid of it in May. Good luck to you all getting the Government to force FORD to fix it for you though.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
My list of WTFs!

Power door locks. USE SOLENOIDS instead of motors!

What's with the armrest panel stuck on the driver's seat? What about an actual use of that armrest as a cover for a little bin to carry CDs or other things?

Yes, that little cubby thing that can barely fit a ping-pong ball.

Change the type of plastic for those headlights.

Put the splash shield on the right side of the car to protect the alternator. It'll prevent the alternator from turning off when riding over a puddle.

Change the friggin tranny! My thing jolts when I drive too fast too long.

Soundproofing must have been bypassed when they build the Contour. I am almost in need of using an aviation headset to listen to music!

What's with the wiper/turn signal knobs? They're so friggin short!

The cupholders are too shallow. I have the stain from a large cup of Mountain Dew on my carpet to prove it!

Whoever designed the aesthetics of the car must have been drunk. I find nothing "pretty" about the car.

Find a way to extend range. Of my family's fleet of cars, my Contour has the least amount of range.

When any door is open too long (11 seconds) the horn will honk 3 times.

The manual says that one of the fuseboxes is near where the passenger sits. Do I need to take the car apart to find it?

Instead of stuffing electronics into the car to let it run, just do this:

Simplify your systems!

In aircraft (I'm more familiar with aircraft systems than automotive systems), simplicity is the key. Backup systems are in order for EVERYTHING. If something goes wrong, you have another system to back it up. That's why we use magnetoes, two of them. For multiple fuel-tank aircraft (and in multiengine aircraft) the use of fuel selector valves is in order. Fuel cutoff is mandatory, and possible fuel cross-feed is also put in for good measure. We pilots are safety oriented, and the Contour comes against all mannerisms of safety.

You may think, "Well, why won't he get rid of it?". It wasn't choice that brought me to the contour. I had already heard bad things about the car long before I even owned it, and I never even wanted one in the first place. Sure, the one I have only had 38,000 miles when I bought it. But, it felt as if it had 138,000 miles!

That, I feel, came from the factory.

Then, comes the things the previous owner put in:

The audio system. An Aiwa MDC-835 CD Changer, with a corded remore control, attached to a thick, short wire, below the dash.

I removed the annoying kill switch.

There's a reason why the Contour had such a short production life.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Oh, and I failed to mention the throttle hang!

Sure, there's a fix for it. But a good car should NOT be a shop queen!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Jeez, another one!

Fix the electrical sys! My lights flicker when they're on. On really bad days, RPM hovers over 700, and runs rough, and even quits. That's happened to me at a pharmacy. I had to buy jumper cables (it was my lucky day, you see.. Just another one of those Ford Contour days) and wait for a good samaritan (ironically, in a Chevy) to help me out with a jump. Yup! The reliable old Chevy had to jump the brand new Ford Detour.

And what kind of paint do I have? I don't want a magenta car! It wasn't Toreador red. I know what that looks like. I love that colour. But magenta?! Well, it resembles magenta.

I'm tired of that car. Just as bad as the drivers in Florida! (I'm exempting the statement to those who actually obey the traffic laws, use their turn signals, and recognize that the sign saying I-95 is actually NOT the speed limit!)

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Ok, if there is THAT much stuff about the Ford Contour you dont like....WHY'D YOU BUY ONE! jeez. quit crying and go buy a Honda.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I already told you! It wasn't choice!

I simply came here to find fixes for the d***ed thing!

J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
My lights do the exact same thing...just for no apparent reason. Some days it does it..some days it dont. Then it wont do it again for months.

Location of the PCV valve coulda been better too

I don't currently have the dash problem...furthermore, I have no idea what it even looks like (the "curling" problem). I've just got other problems currently Here and here.
Otherwise car is good for what I use it for.

1999 Contour SE 2.0L ATX 104k miles
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
You have a Contour that is certainly not indicative of the norm. For example:

Quote:

When any door is open too long (11 seconds) the horn will honk 3 times.

The horn honking when the doors are open is not a behavior I've seen in any Contour or Mystique at any time, and I've been around quite a few. Did a previous owner try to install an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry?

Quote:

Change the friggin tranny! My thing jolts when I drive too fast too long.

Your ATX sounds like it is having problems beyond any normal quirks. You need to have it serviced. I'll admit the CD4E is not a very good ATX, but mine certainly doesn't jolt.

Quote:

The manual says that one of the fuseboxes is near where the passenger sits. Do I need to take the car apart to find it?

The internal fusebox in all three of my 98+ Contours is on the driver's side under the dash. I'll admit its not the most convenient location, but I can reach it with little effort. I found it on my own; I have to admit I've never really read my owner's manual.

Quote:

Find a way to extend range. Of my family's fleet of cars, my Contour has the least amount of range.

I consistently get 27-29mpg on my Sport with 90000+ miles and my aggressive driving habits. This is in line with the original sticker, so other than installing a bigger gas tank I don't see the problem?

Quote:

Whoever designed the aesthetics of the car must have been drunk. I find nothing "pretty" about the car.

Quote:

You may think, "Well, why won't he get rid of it?". It wasn't choice that brought me to the contour. I had already heard bad things about the car long before I even owned it, and I never even wanted one in the first place. Sure, the one I have only had 38,000 miles when I bought it. But, it felt as if it had 138,000 miles!

I'm very sorry to hear that, as I completely enjoy driving my Contours. In case you hadn't noticed, this is the Contour Enthusiasts Group. Not only will you find very little sympathy here, you will not be welcomed for very long with such a negative attitude. If you truly disdain your Contour that much I would suggest looking elsewhere for help.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
So did somebody hold a gun to your head and make you buy a contour. On a side note I kinda miss the little armrest when I'm drivin my SVT it was nice to have on long trips in the GL.

98 T-Red SVT #540 98 T-Red GL ATX (Family Truckster)
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard