Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
ZomzSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
I searched a few phrases concerning ticking or clicking type noises comming from the engine bay, and read the results to which I don't exactly know what to make of everything since my problem doesn't seem to fit the descriptions.

The two main posts I've read have been "clicking.. knocking.. lifter.. just plain problems" and "ticking noise" and few things that have been brought up have mainly been oil/lifter type, timing chain slack(?), injector tick, and a spark plug failure issue. However most of the problems that seem to fit mine are eliminated above idle. However as the rpm's increase the tick 'speed' and magnatude increase as well. 98 svt cont has 102,000 :/ but around 99,000 I had done the berrymans intake cleaning, replaced plugs wires etc, oil change/filter, air filter, all the basic maintence. Only

Buddy didnt hear it, but claimed maybe a bad "main bearing" that wouldn't be letting me build enough oil pressure and valves are tapping? (something along those lines)

I'm hoping it's a fairly cheap fix, since if not I'll be living with it somehow.. ha IF ANYONE HAS MORE INSIGHT I'D APPRECIATE IT! (or can point me to a section of a post i perhaps over looked? )

98 Black Contour SVT #1273 Born the 23rd of June, 1997
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Pain in the bum, indeed. If I were you, I'd start saving/looking for a 3L engine to swap in. I had a similar annoying ticking sound which ending up turning into a blown engine. You probably have a bearing gone bad with the whole engine about to give up the ghost. Familiarize yourself with the 3Liter Forum and use the Search function on the top section of the website.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I thought the the injectors normally make ticking noises? Or is this wrong?

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by ZeroHour:

Yes, they do. And so does a leaking exhaust. A wav file of the sound would help greatly (and a scan of the CEL codes too.).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Z
ZomzSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by ZeroHour:

Yes, they do. And so does a leaking exhaust. A wav file of the sound would help greatly (and a scan of the CEL codes too.).

Yeah I understand the injectors make a slight ticking noise, but from what I understand you it's faint and you can't really hear it above idle, say around 2500 rpm's... however i can still hear the tick and it's louder under acceleration etc, and still over the intake/borla exhaust..

However as soon as i can get to it i'll make a recording of the noise best i can, and a code scan(however there isn't a check engine light, would there still be codes comming up?) By the way, a leaky exhaust manifold(im guessing) is a good possibility since there's 100k+ mi.
I'll get back with a sound file soon.

98 Black Contour SVT #1273 Born the 23rd of June, 1997
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
whats up . i know what your talking about. i had the same tickin noise came from under the oil cap. i guess it was a lifter or somthing. but when i had my head gaskets replaced and after i got my car back the noise was gone . i had that tickin noise for over 10k miles never hurt anything but reallly anyoing .... i really dont kjnow how they fixed it .

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard