Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wallee Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Hope this is an easy question.
I need to replace the front pads and rotors on my 96 GL.
I'm formiliar with doing brakes , but not the specifics of a Contour.

Are the rotors seperate from the hub and bearings or are the bearings press fit or problematic in any way?

Are the calipers easy to remove? Sliders or bolts?

Other than the pads and rotors, do I need to get anything else?

96 Teal Contour Zetec ATX 96K's
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by wallee:
Hope this is an easy question.
I need to replace the front pads and rotors on my 96 GL.
I'm formiliar with doing brakes , but not the specifics of a Contour.

Are the rotors seperate from the hub and bearings or are the bearings press fit or problematic in any way?

Are the calipers easy to remove? Sliders or bolts?

Other than the pads and rotors, do I need to get anything else?

I did them two weeks ago, and they were not that hard. But I guess I didn't do them totally right, since one was hanging badly.

The rotors come off of the hub. They arn't pressed on or anything. There may be some clips on the threads to keep the rotor against hte hub.

The calipers are pretty easy to remove, there are two 15mm bolts on the back of them.

I would get some slider pin grease also.

I hope that if any of this is wrong, somebody will correct me... but it should all be right, I am running on memories of taking them off yesterday.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
you can see the disassembly of the caliper and rotor (fronts) in the HOW-TO under the Duratec Maintenance FAQ, in the link for "HUB replacement"

while not specifically FOR changing the brakes, it still encapsulates the required steps to remove the caliper and rotor.

there is also a how-to FOR brake changing, (without pictures) and you can use both of those together to get whatever you need out of them!

(btw: you are correct in your memories..)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
when i did the breaks on my 98 mystique LS the front left side rotor was pressed on to the hub. it did not slide off. i put a gear puller on it and just snaped the rotor after i bought the whole new assembaly i ground the old one down and found that it was pressed togather as one peice to this day i have never herd of this on a mystique.

Mystique 98 ls T-red MTX B&G springs Turbendz y-pipe (running test pipe) Trubendz cat back with flowmaster muffler Costume intake with K&N filter B&M shifter Magstar wires
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by skifast87:
when i did the breaks on my 98 mystique LS the front left side rotor was pressed on to the hub. it did not slide off. i put a gear puller on it and just snaped the rotor after i bought the whole new assembaly i ground the old one down and found that it was pressed togather as one peice to this day i have never herd of this on a mystique.

It wasn't pressed on; it was corroded together.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
W
wallee Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Thanks for all your input guys.
I just finished. Took about an hour and a half, mostly due to stuck bolts on the calipers.
Drivers side inner pad was wearing into the backing plate of the pad and had 2 nice deep grooves in the rotor.

Passenger side pads fell apart before I could get them out of the caliper. Lots of friction material left on them though.

Got the parts from Automotive warehouse in St Catharines. $65 tax in.

Drivers side inner pad and rotor.

Passenger side pads.

96 Teal Contour Zetec ATX 96K's
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
no buddy becuase when i took it off i toook a grinder to it. i ground down at the rotor and the hub and it was made as one peice. they have machines at my shop to turn these rotors on the car becuase they cant be removed with out taking the whole hub assembly off.

Mystique 98 ls T-red MTX B&G springs Turbendz y-pipe (running test pipe) Trubendz cat back with flowmaster muffler Costume intake with K&N filter B&M shifter Magstar wires
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
No - Rara is correct and you are not. They most definitely ARE NOT pressed on. They are corroded adn therefore can be a PITA to remove.

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
When installing your new rotors make sure you use some anti-seize compound to reduce the chances of the rotor sticking to the hub.

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
im telling you it was made togather. becuase if it was not that was some sick corrsion and what did i grind in to iv never seen meatl or soild steal that looked like rust and corrosion. befor i put the grinder on it. i put it on a 20 ton press and it would not move and put a gear puller around it and it dident move. it was made as one thing. i asked the guys at the ford dealer they said its like a 1 in 50,000 thing but it did happen to the contours

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard