Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Stick with bolts ons that you can swap back to stock to make the car easier to sell.

My car is like completely unsellable now. No idiot in their right mind would buy it. But then,I wouldn't sell it anyways.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Simple performance bolt ons.
Suspension!!!
Brakes!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Suspension!!!
Brakes!

And Lasers!!!

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
With my '95, I modded stuff that I identified as needing replacement soon anyway. Front brakes, wheels/tires, suspension...the only "performance" mod that I did for the sake of performance was an SVT exhaust. It was a nice way to do stuff to the car in increments, justify purchases to a skeptical spouse (yes indeedy), and when I did sell it, I could at least say "oh, the struts and springs and brakes are new within the last 10K miles". I wish in retrospect that I'd swapped my SVT and SE exhausts, but at the time (and now, still) I had plans to do a 2.5" stainless Magnaflow single-pipe setup, so I left it as is.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Suspension!!!
Brakes!

This is exactly the place I find myself in! I was trying to decide whether to mod/repair the Contour or save my money for an '04 Cobra. I couldn't find a Cobra I could afford (yet) so in the last week I've sprung for the D2 Coilovers, the Elky Mesh and the new headlights from Team Ford (though I'm still waiting for the Morettes). I'll probably do the big brakes while I'm doing the suspension which also means I'll have to get bigger wheels. I guess it'll be a while before I get that Cobra! Don't know how simple it all will be and it certainly wasn't cheap but I guess my course is set and all my other projects are on hold.
Karl

*** It's all about consistency! *** *** Previously 88SVT *** 06 F150 Supercrew 5.4L FX4 98 SVT Contour #4362 Born 1/6/1998 86 Ranger GT (For Sale) 69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider (For Sale) 67 Formula-S Barracuda
E
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
E
My thoughts, even if a driver, brakes, suspension, and a good exhaust kit never hurt. If nuts, take the car apart and give it a good cleaning, etc, etc.
I'd save the pennies for the cobra, but never hurts to have fun with a driver.

Bring back leaded gas! Bring back leaded gas! Aviation fuel is too expensive... 1972 GTS torino 351C CJ 4 speed, 1999 se Contour V6 ATX, 1992 Explorer H.O.S. 1979 F150 4x4 "the beast"
U
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
U
buy the cobra and dont look back ... trust me i am very lucky and have the best of both worlds, a svtc and 03 cobra, the cobra is my primary source of entertainment soon to have a kenne bell, but the svtc as a dialy driver is the bomb. i dont plan on doing any more than bolt on's on the contour just to spice up the ride to work, but i have total respect for people who trick out contours to the max because its not easy to find speed parts for a car they stopped making 5 yrs ago.

2003 Cobra - not stock... 496/525 rwhp/rwtq Kenne Bell here and waiting to go on... 2000 SVT Contour - Very stock...not for long
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by ugotbit:
buy the cobra and dont look back ... trust me i am very lucky and have the best of both worlds, a svtc and 03 cobra, the cobra is my primary source of entertainment soon to have a kenne bell, but the svtc as a dialy driver is the bomb. i dont plan on doing any more than bolt on's on the contour just to spice up the ride to work, but i have total respect for people who trick out contours to the max because its not easy to find speed parts for a car they stopped making 5 yrs ago.

Exactly!

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I wouldnt waste your time with the SE if your getting an SVT. And if your getting the cobra, just be "smart" and simple with mods to the SVT. The SVT's strength over the cobra is the handling, so I'd spend the $$$ on suspension, open intake and exhaust, and maybe headers or rims if your so inclined. Personally I wish I'd been smarter and saved some $$$ modding mine - oh well at least its almost paid off.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
The Cobra is a pretty powerful car, but I'd rather have a GTO. Or a modified Trans Am. Or an older Corvette. But it seriously isn't that bad of a car. I'd take one in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't pay for it. Many more cost-efficient engines on the market for the money. Shoot for the kinda money you'd be spending, I'd go get an old Fox-body coupe, buy a 351C, strengthen the internals, give it more fuel, etc., get a good 6-spd transmission to go with it, and HEAVILY upgrade the suspension. For about the same money(if you're willing to put in the effort) you could have a MUCH faster Mustang. And you could say to people that THAT Mustang is YOURS, not some Hi-po factory tuner that thousands of others in the world have. Of course it would not be anywhere near the Cobra in refinement, but meh. I guess that's a bit much for a beginner tho...

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard