Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
klfdl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Just replaced my battery last week, due to damaged battery (dry/low cells). Now my battery light started to come on faint and flickering.
I'll be testing the voltages etc but does anybody know if the alternator on the 98 is in same location as the 95 (re link http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=838883&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1) sounds like a huge job.... removing the tie rod etc
Where is the voltage regulator located & how do you determine if the problem is with the alternator or the voltage regulator?
Also, should i stop driving it altogether?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.... thanks

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Yes, 98 alternator is in same location as the 95.

"Where is the voltage regulator located"
On the alternator. Check out Autozone's site for location of the VR on the alternator.

"the problem is with the alternator or the voltage regulator?"
For such a big pain to get to, most would just replace the entire alternator (unless, it looks brand spanking new). If you are getting high voltages, chances are it is the VR. If you are getting low voltages, chances are it is the alternator. Bear in mind, could just be the wirng issue.

"Also, should i stop driving it altogether?" If it is the alternator not charging enough, I think you can go for 70 miles or so if you drive without lights (radio, a/c, anything which requires load).

Edit. VR location (square? just below the regulator terminal). I tried, a few months ago, (just for the heck of it) to remove the VR without taking out the alternator. No go on that. Got my hand and screwdriver in place but not enough leverage to turn the screws to remove the VR.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c2/fd/0900823d801bc2fd.jsp

Wiring issue.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1075508&Forum=trouble&Words=alternator&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=1074524&Search=true#Post1075508

Last edited by Tony2005; 11/07/05 05:32 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Tony.. dude you are all over the troubleshooting threads!! props to you man, looks you're shooting to take Ray's job (Ray, watch out for this guy)

~Crystian 2000 Se sport 2001 Lightning(Sorry!your mom cant come with us)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by GoldenTour:
Tony.. dude you are all over the troubleshooting threads!! props to you man, looks you're shooting to take Ray's job (Ray, watch out for this guy)

LOL Crystian. No moderator wannabe here. Just helping out a fellow CEGer whenever I can (as I am sure you would too).

K
klfdl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Thanks for the quick reply.
Measured the battery: 12.18 not running, then dropped to 11.79 with the car running.
Guess I'm alternator shopping....

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Tony is my Frankenstien...

LOLOL.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

K
klfdl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
How possible is it that my problem is not the alternator but instead a problem with the 175 amp megafuse that supplies power to the alternator?

Or, something to do with the wiring?

Can anyone give me any further ideas before replacing the alternator?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by klfdl:
How possible is it that my problem is not the alternator but instead a problem with the 175 amp megafuse that supplies power to the alternator?

Or, something to do with the wiring?

Can anyone give me any further ideas before replacing the alternator?

I would say that the probability is even for all of them; alternator, wiring or megafuse. But as I would suggest, do the easy and cheap ones first. I suggest that you check the wiring from battery to ground and battery to alternator (make sure nothing is loose or kinked or chafed) as well as clean the battery terminals. In addition, I suggest that you test the megafuse to make sure it is not blown. These are the cheap and easy things to do. Then only would I go with the alternator wiring fix or the alternator. Good luck.

Edit. If you haven't read this thread, read it and the one referenced in it too.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1078055&Forum=trouble&Words=alternator&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=3weeks&Main=1078042&Search=true#Post1078055

Last edited by Tony2005; 11/09/05 05:38 PM.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I have a similar problem. All lights on my Contour flicker when the car is on idle. Even on the radio, they flicker a little. I replaced the battery because it kept dying on me. But, it appears to me that the alternator isn't putting out the full charge.

I really need help with my car.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by gilroynewball:
... But, it appears to me that the alternator isn't putting out the full charge.

I really need help with my car.

Welcome. Do all the tests suggested by this (and other linked) threads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard