Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by FROSTY SVT:
Only thing i can think that you might want to check is your coolant temperature sensor as these control the fuel delivery system as well as the fans

Frosty is hot tonight!

ECT is the sensor sticking out of the coolant housing toward the firewall - you will have to get the air filter and intake hose out of the way.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
ECT location

Originally posted by chongo:
Did someone call me out.......LOL

here you go.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I just noticed, you said fans do turn freely, I know a procedure to safely test each speed with the car off, if you need it.

Z
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
PLEASE! I am having a nightmare of a time tracing down this problem. It has to be the fans, trying to kick on at the M. My a/c does not work (cracked compressor) so I can only get my fans to come on by waiting for the car to heat up. Please let me know an easy way to test them! thanks!

Z
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Well, my a/c has NO charge, as it has a cracked compressor so I have to wait for the car to heat up. It hits M, dies, car tries to turn back over when cranked but barely catches, if at all, and wont run.

Z
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Oh yeah, looks so nice and easy to get to in the picture. Haynes manual says I just need to take off my air filter and hoses to get to it. BS!!! Anyone have any tips as to getting to the ECT???

Z
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Just noticed that my fan wires were bare. Looks like the insulation has just cracked and fallen off. Found the article about the recall for the harness so I think I will get that done.

Could the fans shorting out cause the ECT to croak? Still can't figure out an easy way to get to that thing.

Z
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Seperated the fan wires and electric taped them, and the fans now come on!!!!... right before the car dies. Still wondering about that ECT.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Zigatoola:
Oh yeah, looks so nice and easy to get to in the picture. Haynes manual says I just need to take off my air filter and hoses to get to it. BS!!! Anyone have any tips as to getting to the ECT???

From Ford CD.

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor

Removal and Installation

1. Drain engine cooling system
2. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301).
3. On 2.0L engine equipped vehicles, remove the engine intake air resonators .
4. On 2.5L engine equipped vehicles, raise vehicle on hoist.
5. Disconnect engine control sensor wiring (from engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT sensor)
6. Remove engine coolant temperature sensor.
7. To install, reverse Removal procedure. On 2.5L engine equipped vehicles, tighten engine coolant temperature sensor to 14-19 N-m (10-14 lb-ft).
8. On 2.0L engine equipped vehicles, tighten engine coolant temperature sensor to 10-14 N-m (89-120 lb-in). Install the engine intake air resonators
9. Refill engine cooling system.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Zigatoola :
Just noticed that my fan wires were bare. Looks like the insulation has just cracked and fallen off. Found the article about the recall for the harness so I think I will get that done.

I'm glad you found out about the harness. I was going to suggest that.

One thing you may also want to check is the wiring going to the cam and crank sensors those wires have the same problem. Another thing to note about that recall (99M03) you have to have less then 100k on your car otherwise they will NOT touch it and your on your own. So with that said I hope you have less then 100k.

If the wires on your cam/crank sensor are only touching when the car heats up (this would be odd, but whatever) it will die and it will not start. Since you said your fan wiring was shot I seriously think this may be why your car is dying out. Check those wires and let us know. The cam sensor is easy to get at. It's located towards the top of the engine on the passenger side on the end of the front cylinder head. If your looking at the main drive belt its just above the A/C compressor.

Good luck.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard