Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I don't know if it is just me and my experience, but does ford have mental issues with making battery terminals connectors? I've had to replace one on my Tour, and tonight I snapped the OEM bolt on the other terminal...My brothers explorer, had the same problem. Both of his ended up being replaced. Even the old beater Ranger which we kept around for a long time needed a new one...

End Rant. lol PITA to snap a freakin bolt in two while tightening it though. I smashed my knuckles into the manifold/plastic duratec cover. And the bolt wasn't near tight,h I could have pulled the connect off of the battery terminal with a good yank.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Need some lithium grease on the terminals (and bolts), Bud. 9.5 years on mine and still looking good.

Edit. That also prevents corrosion.

Last edited by Tony2005; 11/05/05 03:51 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Lol, no Tony the bolts weren't rusted, although on that old ranger they had seen better days. The bolt I snapped must have been crap. It looks perfectly fine except for the fact it is split in half.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
.. It looks perfectly fine except for the fact it is split in half.

Maybe you're just too strong or maybe you should lay off the metabolic steriods?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Homer mad, Homer SMASH! lol I'm thinking the last time I put it on, it was probably over tightened and it sat that way for a couple of months and weakened the bolt. At least that is what I'm hoping. I found a new bolt but it has a flat head end...worst thing is I actually have replacement ternminal bolts but they bolt diameter is bigger then the hole on the connector. Its good for now. I need to get to Fastenal this afternoon and check that place out and pick up some new bolts.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
.. It looks perfectly fine except for the fact it is split in half.

Maybe you're just too strong or maybe you should lay off the metabolic steriods?

that would explain why he's being so PMS'y about it.

j/k, man

What do you mean, rhetorical question? 1998.5 SVT --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2155561/1 #4619 of 6535, born Feb 18, 1998. i'm a smarta$$, don't take it personally
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
A light coating of dielectric grease (or another favorite: 80W90 gear lube) on *all* of the battery terminal hardware (both sides of the terminal; all threads on the bolt) goes a long way to making them last. And don't get carried away with the wrench: it really doesn't need to be that tight.

I've done this on all of my battery terminals; never a problem. My '86 Mustang has the original battery terminals; still in great shape. Yup, original bolt and everything.

1995 Contour GL V6 ATX T/C 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 2000 Windstar LX

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard