Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Y
Well I received this car some time in September from a abut who was going to junk it. I looked it over gave it a test run and thought this little 95 2.0L (90,000 miles) would be a great little economy carâ?¦

I did noticed a few big thingsâ?¦It looked as if no one had maintained it, the coolant was brown, the air filter was dirty, had and still has original plugs and wires, the cabin filter was a mold colony, heater fan didnâ??t work, leaking some break fluid in the back, bald tires in front, the inside was a dumping ground, but the car was free, and overall the things were minorâ?¦and I am 16 so I do have a bit of spare timeâ?¦hehe

I decided to do the major things firstâ?¦Since I was about 2 hours from home I opted to break down and go to those â??10 minâ? oil change placesâ?¦they wanted $40 for a synthetic oil change, what a rip offâ?¦so I opted for the $20 mineral one

As I was driving home, I noticed the temp gauge was ~3/4 the way up, â?¦nothing too hot, but still fairly alarmingâ?¦.Also, the performance was a bit undesirable. But hey itâ??s a four banger

So I swung by the auto parts store and picked up some antifreeze, air filterâ?¦then upon arriving home I quad flushed the radiatorâ?¦but the damned temp. still was up thereâ?¦

Then while doing a search for problems I noticed the timing belt was banging around a bitâ?¦but I had other things to doâ?¦such asâ?¦
the rear breaks, they had to be done a few weeks after, pa chipped in for some decent treads, she was running really tiny tires in the front, the rims werenâ??t small just the tires looked like something off our tractorâ?¦

Finally around October I bring it in to a shop, I have done timing belts before but, this one looked like a [censored] to get too, so once again good old popâ??s picked up the $500 tabâ?¦what a great guy

I just got it back and my godâ?¦the thing runs great, it turns over a sec. or to faster, runs cooler, and performance is just wowâ?¦Anyway, I still canâ??t believe I missed all the tell tale signs of retarded timingâ?¦I had the mechanic save the belt, amazing that thing didnâ??t snap on the way thereâ?¦I also got the cam seal done, idler pulleys, tensioner pulleyâ?¦good stuff

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Sounds good. I'm glad you're happy with it! I'd check out all the ignition stuff next. Then just do what you know hasn't been done, like fuel filter, etc. Have fun! I know I do when I work on cars. Sadly, my car has spent almost more time lately with the hood up than with it closed. It's addicting replaceing parts.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
another newbie who searches!! WOHOO!!

nice find and im glad you saved another one of these great cars from the junker.

if your still having trouble with that temperature gauge, try a new thermostat or look into the temp sender...but you probable already took care of that lol

happy modding!

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
Y
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Y
just did plugs and wires...today they were really bad worn down a good distance

I had a choice of 3.99 Motercraft and 4.50 chapion
went with the cheaper Motercraft

then wires I had the choice of Motercraft $40 somthing and Bosh $30 something

went with the bosh...god I'm cheap, but its a lifetime garentee (spelling)

------maybe the fuel filter tommorow

Still on the list

Flush ATX
check engine light fix
trunk light "add on" I swaer Ford does some wierd ass stuff...power mirrors, crank windows, old school locks, no trunk light, but a glove box light and power mirrors?

I rather have power windows and locks, not like i change around my mirrors everyday and/or open my glove box...*sigh*

serp. belt in the spring time...

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Take those POS Boschs' off! I have some of those "Ultra Premium" or whatever they call them, and they actually dropped the RPMs I was making compared to my ratty old 103,xxx mile Motorcrafts!

Ford Ignition system+Bosch=BOOO!

Good choice on the plugs though. The Motorcraft plugs are DARN good for the money. Motorcraft makes one of the best stock plugs on the market for the price.

Me, I have NGK Laser Platinum R's...$10 a pop baby!

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
Y
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
Take those POS Boschs' off! I have some of those "Ultra Premium" or whatever they call them, and they actually dropped the RPMs I was making compared to my ratty old 103,xxx mile Motorcrafts!

wow, I wish there would be a way to comapre them...guess the only way is to break out the omh meter...*sigh* runs to trash to save old ass motorcraft wires....

Anyway what type of sythetic oil...I usally hit the mobile 1, but there selling castrol syntec fairly cheap

I have a slight hate for Fram filters...so STP or motorcraft? STP...are the ones I usally go with...

how bout' trans fliud? I want to swich over to syntetic for that...any recmondations?

And I think I'll be going motorcraft for the fule fliter.

Last edited by yomanwill; 11/06/05 02:58 PM.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I feel your pain. . I spent like $50 on those wires and it was a major let-down for them to suck that much. I usually go with Purolators' PureOne oil filter, but the Motorcraft one is almost identical to it iirc. I usually go with Purolator for all my filtration needs, but if I can't find what I need in Purolator, I'll go to Motorcraft then STP. I run Mobil 1 5w-30, and it is holding up VERY well. I'm on my second filter change.

PureOne+Mobil 1=clean, efficient lubrication. I just checked my oil dipstick, and, no joke, it was still a very light copper color, even with 5K of hard driving on it! I stand by that combination.

I don't know much about trans fluid, except I need to chang mine. I would go with Valvoline I guess...

O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Mobile 1 full synthetic for the trans(did it for my wifes ZX2 at 75K and it was night and day) for the engine oil if you have 90K on mineral based oil, I would just stick to quality Dino oils(Valvoline Maxlife comes to mind) and a NAPA Gold(Wix) filter. I run M1 EP and NAPA Gold in mine, but I switched to full syn oil at 21K. Also if its in your budget an external tranny cooler is a good idea.

for the wires try these clicky

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
I had 64,xxx on my 98 tour when I got it. I went right to valvoline ( spelling ) max life 10-30 and the car runs great I also run fram filters. And like everyone says get an external tranny cooler. Saves the trans (old b&m off of my 72 blazer) I installed mine and im now at 118,xxx miles and the trans is still smooth as butter. Go threw the car with a fine tooth comb. As for the rest of it go wild. I have seen many ideas up on this site. And nice car for a freebie.

Price of body kit so far...$3 Price of wing...$20 Feeling that everyone is staring at your contour...PRICELESS

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard