Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'm not a computer hardware guy, but I like to think I can find out whats wrong wtih computer software pretty decently.

My g/fs Dell Laptop Inspiron 1100, started off by not charging. Ok, the a/c adapter had been been long enough that I thought the end had computer broken inside. New power adapter.

didn't fix it.

Ok, so battery.
Nope. Didn't fix it.

Ok, I give up. Spend 99.95 to take it to Microcenter to get it diagnosed. They want $400 to send it off to Dell to get fixed. No f'ning way! They tell me that were the a/c adapter plugs into the computer is bad. Ok, I'll take it locally to get fixed.

So I take it to NW DC to a shop that says NO PROBLEM! Woo Hoo!! Now this guy tells me that the power port is fine, its a piece on the mother board and he'll fix it for the low low price of $250!

WHO THE HELL AM I TO BELIEVE????? HOW DO I GET A GD ACCURATE DIAGNOSTIC!!!!

Ug!

Ryan Trollin!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
It's the female end (hole in laptop). Very common with the Dell quality build. Seen a few so far in the Dell 1100 and a few HP models.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I usually just hit it til it works. Don't do a whole lot but makes you feel MUCH better!!

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
May I suggest trying to find a Tech school in your area and talking with the teacher. Maybe he will let the students look at it and fix it for the price of parts.

Just a Plain SE. AKA Big Country I maybe path914's B**** now, but wait until he needs his clutch done. We will see WHO is WHO's B**** then!
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
It has happened 3 times to my hp within the 1 year warranty. They tried to say it was because I use the computer on my lap, "Thats why we call them notebooks, not laptops now".

The female power socket is held to the motherboard by it's solders. There is no other reinforcment. Eventually those solders weaken and break.

I finally gave up on HP and just stopped using my power adapter. I bought an external battery charger and a spare battery and now only run on battery. PITA but much less expensive than the $400 they wanted to fix it out of warranty.

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX

Link Copied to Clipboard