Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
hello membership ; i have read a variety of posts and have learned that EGR/IAC/DFPE/O2/IMRC? are common items of mechanical interest .
from what i have surveyed , my problem may be related to spark plugs or wires ( or at the extreme , bad cat ) .
ONLY IN 1ST GEAR DURING FULL THROTTLE , MOTOR CUTS OUT IN HIGHER RPM RANGE ! as if it cannot maintain the power during the rapid increase in engine speed .
the mileage is low ; approx 50,000 american miles !
would the plug wires really be causing this , i guess i hope so as this may be the cheapest fix ?
thanks for any comments and the confirmation of my solution !

H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
With that relatively low mileage, you may want to check the gap on the plugs before spending money on replacing them or the wires. The gap spec is .052-.056, IIRC. Regap any that are out of spec and try testing again.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I think it is more likely to be plugs rather than wires. That is a classic symptom of worn or fouled plugs. Plug wire problems usually show up at lower loads.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Describe in detail what you means CUTS OUT. Is this fully, partially, just missing? Any Codes? What RPM?
It could be a fuel delivery problem but more info is required.

N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
With that amount of mileage could definetly be the beginning of the fuel pump problem. Try to identify if it is a continual problem or just when you have about a half tank of gas or less. Mine started a WOT and got worse as I had less gas.

Black/Tan 00 SVT Do Tinted windows count as modified? K&N resonatorless (is that a word) Yokohama Avid V4S 225/50/ZR16
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by NavSVT:
With that amount of mileage could definetly be the beginning of the fuel pump problem. Try to identify if it is a continual problem or just when you have about a half tank of gas or less. Mine started a WOT and got worse as I had less gas.

On re reading the original post, I agree. Somehow I was reading it as though you had a miss under load. It does sound more like fuel starvation. If it is new enough to have the returnless system, you need to search a bit and find out about the filter screen in the fuel pump module in the tank that plugs up too easily.

Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
thanks for your comments !

regarding the state of cut-out : power is completely missing for a second or two until it cuts back in and revs up to redline ! as stated , it is in upper range , power being absent from about 4500 to 5500 ! again , only in 1st gear !

and the most frustrating fact of all is NOT ON EVERY DRIVE ! only certain days ?
i never run the car low on gas so that can be eliminated .

HOW MUCH LABOUR is it for mechanic to inspect fuel filter screen suggested in last post ?
i will also have plug gaps checked at next service visit !

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If it were an ignition miss, plugs or wires, it would be a very sharp miss, very hard, for short duration, like a rapid staccato. If it is fuel starvation, it may come on suddenly, but it is still a bit softer and of much longer duration.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard