Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#1422104 11/02/05 12:49 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by Stazi:
Inflation?

yes i agree with the inflation or making more money part...

i wanted to know exactly why the T3/T4 kit was more when the parts are cheaper...paying 1k for a bigger intercooler and bigger injectors? when the turbo is cheaper?

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
#1422105 11/02/05 12:41 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Is the T3/4 using the updated stage 3,4,5 system with water cooling and ball bearings?
They have retrofitted their later technology into new releases of their T3/4 turbos so they aren't too shabby. Maybe they are using a good one and of course the intercooler setup is probably worth a few hundred more, and then labor increases. The kit has been out like 3 years now.

Maybe not. Maybe they just want to make more money.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1422106 11/02/05 01:41 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

And before you ask, purge valves are for show, and not really needed on these small 50-75 shots. I suggest getting a bottle warmer and a bottle blanket for optimum nitrous pressure. A nitrous gauge would be a good idea, along with a blow down tube on the bottle. If you've got the money, a remote bottle opener would be nice!

Mark

First, a purge is ESSENTIAL to the proper performance of ANY nitrous kit - REGUARDLESS OF SIZE. It's whole purpose is to remove gaseous nitrous from the feed line so you have liquid nitrous at the solenoid when you spray. This improves system reliability and supplies a consistant amount of LIQUID nitrous to the kit. VERY ESSENTIAL to the kits performance. Ever stumble when the nitrous hits? Purge before you make your run and it goes away. It's like running your turbo without a blow off valve - can you do it? Sure! Will the kit perform the same without one? Probably not. Besides, it is insurance in knowing that when your ready to make your run the line is primed ready to make that run with you .
Second, if you want to purchase a few extra items to go with your kit, a nitrous gauge is nice, a fuel pressure gauge is critical(fuel runs lean and boom!) and a bottle heater should be on the list as well. A blowdown tube is required if the car will be used at the drag strip. They won't let you on without one.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
#1422107 11/02/05 02:50 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by evocontour:

And before you ask, purge valves are for show, and not really needed on these small 50-75 shots. I suggest getting a bottle warmer and a bottle blanket for optimum nitrous pressure. A nitrous gauge would be a good idea, along with a blow down tube on the bottle. If you've got the money, a remote bottle opener would be nice!

Mark

First, a purge is ESSENTIAL to the proper performance of ANY nitrous kit - REGUARDLESS OF SIZE. It's whole purpose is to remove gaseous nitrous from the feed line so you have liquid nitrous at the solenoid when you spray. This improves system reliability and supplies a consistant amount of LIQUID nitrous to the kit. VERY ESSENTIAL to the kits performance. Ever stumble when the nitrous hits? Purge before you make your run and it goes away. It's like running your turbo without a blow off valve - can you do it? Sure! Will the kit perform the same without one? Probably not. Besides, it is insurance in knowing that when your ready to make your run the line is primed ready to make that run with you .
Second, if you want to purchase a few extra items to go with your kit, a nitrous gauge is nice, a fuel pressure gauge is critical(fuel runs lean and boom!) and a bottle heater should be on the list as well. A blowdown tube is required if the car will be used at the drag strip. They won't let you on without one.

Since we're critiquing eachothers posts, not ALL drag strips inspect vehicles before they run. Not all of them care if you have a blowdown tube or not. So therefore it is not required, depending on where you go. Second, a purge kit is not essential. You make it sound as if you're wasting your time running nitrous if you don't have a purge! That 1/1000th of a second that it takes for nitrous to run through the lines isn't going to be too drastic for people running 50 and 75 shots and running 14 and 15 second 1/4 miles. Not to mention on the street. I personally would just do a little WOT blip to get the nitrous through the line before I knew I was going to use it. So again I rest my case, unless you're a hardcore drag racer running a 150+ shot, the average nitrous user isn't going to notice the difference. I will agree with your statement about the nitrous and fuel pressure gauges. Definitely a couple of nice tools to have.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1422108 11/02/05 04:04 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
another important reason to consider a purge is to clear your lines of nitrous after you are done having fun. Shut off your bottle and there is still high pressure nitrous in the line. This could cause unecessary wear and tear. Pruging the line is much easier and more fun than grabbing a wrench and unscrewing a line to release nitrous pressure.

Originally posted by Who the F are You?:
does your family tree not have any branches on it?

99SVT 235hp @ 6550rpm 212tq @ 5350rpm
#1422109 11/02/05 07:52 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by warmonger:
Is the T3/4 using the updated stage 3,4,5 system with water cooling and ball bearings?
They have retrofitted their later technology into new releases of their T3/4 turbos so they aren't too shabby. Maybe they are using a good one and of course the intercooler setup is probably worth a few hundred more, and then labor increases. The kit has been out like 3 years now.

Maybe not. Maybe they just want to make more money.

okay so maybe it is a new "higher quality" T3/T4. that would explain some of it, and i know the bigger intercooler costs more.

lol...maybe they are trying to jack up prices that way they don't have to sell anymore of them....j/k...please don't stop making them

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
#1422110 11/02/05 08:53 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
I think that to the average person, more power = more $$$$. Not being a huge turbo guy, I would assume that is where the $500 price difference comes from.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1422111 11/02/05 11:41 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by evocontour:

Mark

Since we're critiquing eachothers posts, not ALL drag strips inspect vehicles before they run. Not all of them care if you have a blowdown tube or not. So therefore it is not required, depending on where you go. Second, a purge kit is not essential. You make it sound as if you're wasting your time running nitrous if you don't have a purge! That 1/1000th of a second that it takes for nitrous to run through the lines isn't going to be too drastic for people running 50 and 75 shots and running 14 and 15 second 1/4 miles. Not to mention on the street. I personally would just do a little WOT blip to get the nitrous through the line before I knew I was going to use it. So again I rest my case, unless you're a hardcore drag racer running a 150+ shot, the average nitrous user isn't going to notice the difference. I will agree with your statement about the nitrous and fuel pressure gauges. Definitely a couple of nice tools to have.

Mark

Well, since you'd be running VERY RICH when the kit kicks in because the mixture is not correct, you will effect your timeslip . The stumble and the recovery time will slow you down. Companys like NOS and ZEX will tell you that a system NOT PURGED can cost a few tenths on the quarter mile. You can lay on the purge sometimes for 10-20 seconds before any liquid nitrous comes out. That could cost you a complete run. With smaller jets, it could take EVEN LONGER for it to 'purge' through the nozzle. Using a purge to empty your system after closing the bottle is a very good and safe thing to do (forgot it THANKS!). I have run at 14 different drag strips. Out of the 14 I found ONE that didn't check for the blowdown tube. But then again, they didn't do any sort of organized racing either. Only the test and tunes. A blow down tube does not have to be made out of metal, it can be just a rubber line/tube put over the burst disc that leads outside of the car. The last thing you want to do is flood your car with a gas that you can't breathe.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
#1422112 11/03/05 01:12 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
a blow down tube would do me no good. one my tank is in the trunk area. two if i hear a loud noise, or get really cold lol like the nitrous is leaking i am taking no more breaths til i get out of the car!

our local track does not check for a blow-down tube. the track in Jackson, SC does not check for a blow-down tube. the track in Indy for cougarfest did not check for a blow-down tube.

#1422113 11/03/05 09:31 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I thought tracks only required blow down tubes if you had your nitrous bottle in the drivers compartment or in a hatch style car. I thought cars with bottles in the trunk did not need the blow down tube, because if anything happened it would all stay in the trunk.

Originally posted by Who the F are You?:
does your family tree not have any branches on it?

99SVT 235hp @ 6550rpm 212tq @ 5350rpm
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard