Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
So, got everything off okay and cleaned all the parts till they shined. Put everything back on the car today, and... nothing.

The belts all move and the starter is working. The battery isn't dead. It sounds like it wants to get going, but there's no "spark" to get it to turn over.

No CELs at this point.

RIP 1997 Mercury Mystique LS - 2.5 L Duratec "Everything that's good is gone...." - Fuel
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by cobaltblue:
So, got everything off okay and cleaned all the parts till they shined. Put everything back on the car today, and... nothing.

The belts all move and the starter is working. The battery isn't dead. It sounds like it wants to get going, but there's no "spark" to get it to turn over.

No CELs at this point.

You actually checked and there's no spark? Is the coil unplugged?

2005 RED GTO w/ M6 - Lingenfelter CAI - Corsa Sport Cat-Back - SLP LTs - C5 Pads
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Many on this board have experienced a flooding situation when trying to start after "the cleaning." What happens is the cleaner you used has gotten into the cylinders and what you need to do is crank the engine with the throttle wide open.
I took mine about 15 seconds of cranking before all the cleaner was evaucated and she fired up. I hope this is your problem, good luck!

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Cranked it for longer periods of time, still won't start up. I'm afraid of burning out the starter or something.

By "spark" I meant that the engine sounds like it wants to start, but it can't get past a certain threshold and won't turn over. Like there isn't enough "oomph."

If the secondaries were stuck open, would that have anything to do with it?

RIP 1997 Mercury Mystique LS - 2.5 L Duratec "Everything that's good is gone...." - Fuel
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I had the same issue, it is probably flooded. Get some "Hot shot " and spray it in the air box. You don't need more than a two second spritz at a time. Do you hear the fuel pump prime the fuel rail when you turn the key to the run position?

C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by eepals:
I had the same issue, it is probably flooded. Get some "Hot shot " and spray it in the air box. You don't need more than a two second spritz at a time. Do you hear the fuel pump prime the fuel rail when you turn the key to the run position?

Yeah, when I turn the key to the "on" position without cranking it, there's a slight mechanical droning sound (other than the power antenna going up).

What exactly is Hot Shot? Never heard of it before.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Starting Fluid, Ether, a volatile, highly flammable liquid in a spray can. Used in starting diesel engines on cold days.

C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Where would I be able to get it? Autozone?

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
This may be kind of a long shot, but when I did my LIM and UIM, I ended up with fuel never reaching the rail. What happened was I lost a little blue washer that sealed the connection between the flexible hose and the rail, and when I cranked the engine, fuel just dribbled out onto the ground.

You'd probably notice something like that, though.

I also didn't have a connector "snapped" tight, either, and that caused some trouble before I figured it out.

The connectors holding for the wires feeding the injectors were very brittle on my car and most of them pretty much disintigrated when I removed them. Perhaps yours aren't making contact?

Sounds electrical to me. I mean, I'm surprised I managed to do the job without destroying my car, and even a pro can forget a connector here and there!

Stealth is best. Make it look stock. Confuse people. Bother people. --'00 Contour SVT in dashing Silver Frost. Completely stock. Gonna do some minor tinkering. Ultimate goal? True dual! Now... Just need lots of money...
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I had this problem for a few good minutes after the cleaning, and it gave me a pretty good scare. just keep cranking, maybe give a TINY bit of gas, let it sit for a few minutes, crank, let sit, crank...and when you prime the fuel system, you're supposed to turn it to "on" then back off more than once. maybe 5-7 times.

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard