Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I bought a Gentex auto dim mirror with compass and temperature readout off Ebay last night:
Gentex Mirror.

There are a few different types of Gentex mirrors:
  • Auto dim only
  • Auto dim with Compass only
  • Auto dim with Compass/Temperature (single line display)
  • Auto dim with Comp/Temp (dual line display)

I'm not going to be concerned with the others (Homelink, OnStar, Autolamp, etc) since they will probly need some other modules and stuff.

The Autodim and Compass only are the easiest to install. The Compass is integrated, so all you need to do for these is provide power.

The Temperature mirrors are tricky... a lot of the sellers assume that all of them have temp included. You need to see the buttons on the front to tell if it really does. If the buttons read "COMP" and "TEMP", it is a temperature mirror. If the buttons read "COMP" and "MIRROR", it is a compass-only. You need to be aware of this, b/c the sellers obviously don't know.

There are also 2 different temp/compass mirrors. The single line display and dual line display, with the dual being the newer setup. The single line one can fool you into thinking it is only a compass-only, but you need to see the buttons to be sure.

For the Temperature mirrors, you will need these parts off GM Parts Direct:
  • Temperature Sensor, $8.30, Part #15047946
  • Plug and 12" wiring for temp sensor, $10.50, Part #12101856

If you want to buy the mirror (w/compass&temp) new, it's here:
  • Mirror, $260.36, Part #15071186

So I think I got a deal on it, but there are better deals to be had.

There are a few places on Ebay selling the new kit for around $150 shipped, which is about $100 cheaper than the Gentex authorized dealer (Mito).

Gentex w/wiring kit, $138.94 shipped. This has all the parts/wiring/sensors you need for it to work.

There's also totally different ones on Ebay, the Donnelly, which uses the same temp sensor as the Gentex. I've never seen a Donnelly Compass/Temperature mirror factory installed, but Donnelly made the manual mirrors with maplights on a ton of GM vehicles. There's also a no-name one that has a UV meter with it, but I would be skeptical of the quality.

• Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    T
    Addicted CEG\'er
    Addicted CEG\'er
    T
    I've got a Gentex mirror sitting on my desh with compass, auto dimming, map lights, and temp waiting for me to muster up the balls and install it. Now, mine is actually from an explorer (not that it really matters) but I ordered the temp unit from Ford for it so most of it should be cake to install. Just need a ground, positive constant, 12V ignition, and the two wires from the sensor.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
    B
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    B
    Do you know the part number for the temp sensor from Ford? Curious to see if GM or Ford is cheaper.

And I looked at the mirror on the 04 Suburbans we have, and they've got a big square connector like the OnStar/Homelink (16 pin 2 row) instead of the 7-pin flat on the compass/temp only. Only difference is the passenger airbag on/off lights.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    T
    Addicted CEG\'er
    Addicted CEG\'er
    T
    I'll get you the part # when I get home. If I can remeber right, I think it was like 15 bucks or soemthing. This was almost a year ago, though. and for an 04 Explorer or Expedition. It was just the sensor with the clip, the harness was seperate (9 bucks I think)

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
    A
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    A
    I bought mine for $80 shipped off ebay a while back.

B
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    B
    I just wanted to resurrect this thread to show the differences between the mirrors:

Compass only (notice it says "COMP" and "MIRROR":

Compass/temp single line (except it will have a "TEMP" button instead of "MIRROR," exactly like below):

Compass/temp dual line:

And now I have seen a Donnely compass/temp mirror factory installed in my sister's 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback LL Bean. However, mirror didn't work. It would display some arbitrary compass heading and temp, but never changed (or dimmed with cars behind me)

My Gentex mirror works REALLY well when there's a truck behind me. I'm sure anyone with a lowered car knows that even a 1/2 ton 2WD truck still blinds the crap out of you. Now I just have to block the side mirrors with my hand!

Depending on the mirror, it will have either a 7 or 16-pin connector on the back. The 7 pin is flat with all 7 in line, the 16-pin has 2 rows of 8 each.

16-pin is found more on cars/trucks that had OnStar, Homelink, and other specific things, however, my plain Compass/Temp mirror that was ordered for a GMC Savannah had the 16 pin. Or maybe all the newer ones have the 16 pin, I dunno!

These mirrors (probly) have flash memory inside, so they only need a switched power source and will not lose settings or calibration.

==========================

16-pin diagram:

1 - unk
    2** - Bare - Microphone
    3** - Passenger Airbag ON indicator (ground pin to activate)
    4** - Passenger Airbag OFF indicator (ground pin to activate)
    5** - IEC-OEC+ Signal FROM LH outside mirror (if car has photocell mounted there)
    6 - Brown - Air Temp Sensor
    7 - Green/Black - Air Temp Sensor
    8 - Black - Ground
    9* - Light Green - Reverse Dim Inhibit or battery supply voltage for OnStar
    10** - Gray - Microphone
    11** - Dark Green/White - Keypad Signal out to OnStar computer
    12** - Light Green - +5v Keypad Voltage in
    13 - Yellow - 12v+ for whole mirror
    14** - Yellow/Black - Green LED Signal
    15** - Brown/White - Red LED signal
    16** - OEC- return line to LH outside mirror

* Optional connection that will undim the mirror when the vehicle is in reverse. Hook this up so it gets +12V from the reverse light circuit.

** Only used on specific vehicles

So if you're just doing the Compass/Temp here, All you need to hook up are these pins:

6 - To temp sensor
    7 - To temp sensor
    8 - To chassis ground
    13 - To switched power lead

9 - optional reverse inhibit

So if you get a mirror that has a ton of wires, remove the excess since you only need these!

7-pin diagram:

1 - Pink - POWER +12 volts

2 - Black - CHASSIS, GND

3* - LT GRN - BACKUP LIGHTS

4 - Gray - TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR

5 - PINK - TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR

6 - Dark GRN/WT - TEMP PROBE

7 - BK/WT - TEMP PROBE

* Optional connection that will undim the mirror when the vehicle is in reverse. Hook this up so it gets +12V from the reverse light circuit.

So you will need to hook up these wires:

1 - Switched power
    2 - Chassis ground
    6 - To temp sensor
    7 - To temp sensor

3 - Optional reverse inhibit

Read thru this thread for more information: The12volt Forums

Oh, and BTW, here's the Ford part number for the Gentex compass/temp mirror: XF2Z-17700-AA Listed price is $300

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/09/06 12:55 AM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    R
    Veteran CEG\'er
    Veteran CEG\'er
    R
    The Gentex mirror comes with all the sensors and wiring included when you buy it as an aftermarket kit. It is universal, meaning it fits on almost any vehicle. I had my Toyota dealer install a Gentex Auto-dimming mirror with compass and temperature (the 2 line display) on my Corolla about 10 days after purchase of the car. I really like it, the compass is accurate and the Temperature sensor is more accurate than the one built into the car's dash. I know it came with it's own sensor because there are two in the front of the car. One has a Toyota part number on it and is hooked up to the car's wiring harness, and the other is a Delphi part that is hooked up to the mirror's wiring harness. It only took the dealer 30 minutes to install and they had to run all the wiring since sunroof equipped Corollas don't have any wiring up there like the non-moonroof equipped ones do.

B
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    B
    Originally posted by red99sesport:
    It only took the dealer 30 minutes to install and they had to run all the wiring

I'd say about an hour for someone who is tearing their vehicle apart for the first time.

Especially if you didn't get the full wiring kit (you need to splice and dice some some wires in that case).

Hardest part is finding a place in the firewall to go thru... and that's not very hard in itself!

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard