Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
I didn't want to start a new thread on this but I've searched the archives and found numerous suggestions, from adding B12 to replacing mils, etc. What is the surest way to methodically pin down the cause? '99 Contour SE, Duratec V6, ATX, 93000 miles. Thanks muchly.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
the simple answer is the cats are cooked and need to be replaced

or your sensors are shot and making a false P0420 and P0430

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
This TSB shows some of the causes of the 420 and 430 codes. You may want to try some of the "fixes" first. Your other options are to reprogram the computer (about $200) or mileliminators ($30) or new pre-cats (mucho deneiro).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
It is unlikely that both HO2 sensors are shot, but still possible, I imagine. I'll search for a procedure to test the ECT as well, or just replace it. If my cats are shot would I need to replace the main cat also? Or just the precats and then we see how it goes? The whole mileliminator thing scares me...is that legal? Thanks once again.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by dave5000:
It is unlikely that both HO2 sensors are shot, but still possible, I imagine. I'll search for a procedure to test the ECT as well, or just replace it. If my cats are shot would I need to replace the main cat also? Or just the precats and then we see how it goes? The whole mileliminator thing scares me...is that legal? Thanks once again.

You'd just have to replace the precats because your P0420 and P0430 are directly related to those. Your main cat is further back in the exhaust system...

And technically, No, it's not legal to put mils on your car. Your O2 sensors are there to ensure your car is running at it's best and putting out clean exhaust.

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Thanks Woodencross...I believe I'm all set here now. You guys are the greatest. Really!

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
This just happened to my wifes car the other day also. But I have a suspicion about the gas when we were filling up they were also filling the main tanks. After clearing the double code I have gotten 2 bank 2 codes since then. But it has been going well for almost a week now. I had also put a K&N on a little while ago and I thought maybe some oil got on the MAF. Cleaned that up also since it was easy.
For a car with almost 100000 miles on it I wouldn't bother replacing the precats just get the eliminators and think of it as a reflash. I have a feeling your car is still running well anyways. And if they did check your emissions it would still be well below there limits. Why else do you think ford is just reflashing now. Saves them money and isn't necessary to replace them.

Green 2000 SVT #1166 mods-K&N and Custom heat shield, optimized y pipe, Magnaflow center resonator, DMDhttp://www.geocities.com/savinoss/Cars.html -Wifes car 99 Mystique V6 5 spd
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Downstream sensors don't cause these codes. They are self-tested prior to execution of the cat efficiency test. Gasoline quality is also not an issue. Same for the MAF.

Your choices are:

PCM reflash
MIL Eliminators
New pre-cats
Black tape over the CEL
Ignoring the CEL completely

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i don't agree with the gas comment, I think it can deal with the gas

the only time I got a precat code was when I had a bad sensor when I got the car

come to SZ06 and going out to Indiana, car starts to throw P0420 about half way out and all the way back, with in a few weeks I start getting a code P0430 then they went away completely. All I can figure is the gas was the issue as after a tank or two of CT gas again the code have not come back since

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by dave5000:

Just realize I did not post the link to the TSB.
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB0197HO2SServiceTips.htm

Not sure if you have to deal with inspections. Some have posted that the pre-cats are not necessary to assist in passing emissions tests but some have posted that they are. Bear in mind that the pre-cats cost about $700 each plus labor (so you are looking at $2000) if you want to replace them. The reprogramming by Ford just widens the band of limits before the CEL light comes on (not sure how long that is good for). Not really sure if mileliminators are legal or not but the way I see it (for me), it is widening the band of limits too. I have mileliminators now (and did not gut my pre-cats). I will know if I need to do more in May when I go for my smog emissions tests.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard