Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#1400268 10/04/05 04:20 AM
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
First of all, the discussion here is regarding early model LS1's...so why are they being compared to '03-04 cobra's?? Is there any chance of one of those cobra's can be picked up for the prices mentioned here? No.

If you're going to make a comparison, make a fair one. The new cobra's are completely different cars than what was available when the ls1's came out.

An LS1 camaro or Firebird would beat a cobra of the same year. GM's hp numbers were underrated, and those cars would easily put down at the wheels what they were rated at the crank, or more.

Second, WTF is with this bashing of the interior?? What are you smoking to think the interior of the mustang is any better?? It's just as cramped, and visibility isn't that great either. I agree the hump in the floor of the camaro/firebird sucks...a friend of mine had a blazer with the same thing. Made no sense.

Oh, and a cobra has better build quality than a corvette?? That's a real knee-slapper!

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
#1400269 10/04/05 04:33 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Finally, someone with a grain of intelligence. I was trying to tell them earlier the interior of the F-bodies aren't that bad, especially compared to a Cobra, a car I cannot fit in.

Last edited by MadMerc97; 10/04/05 04:35 AM.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
#1400270 10/04/05 05:19 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
madmerc =

blah,blah,fbodies rule,blah,blah,i don't have a clue,blah,blah,blah i don't know wtf i'm talking about,blah,blah...

you do realize that 6th gear in a 6speed is another friggin' OVERDRIVE gear which has absolutely nothing to do with racing,right

and honestly an '01 cobra against an '01 ls1 is still a drivers race,and if the ls1 is any faster it is what maybe a 10th or 2...wow,certainly not worth putting up with the terrible ergonomics of the fbody....now mod both cars and the cobra will go faster for less $$$,and you can actually work on it,try even changing the plugs in an fbody...

an fbody internet group happens to meet every month near my house,and i hang out with them all the time,and they have some nice cars,some heavily modded,and are fast...but even they complain about the interiors and other things...

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
#1400271 10/04/05 05:29 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I could say the same about you guys BLAH BLAH BLAH COBRA BLAH BLAH BLAH. And Yes, I HAVE helped change the plugs on my uncle's '94 Z28. Not Fun. But, you must realize the Camaro has a better top end. The extra gear only helps. I said it could OUTRUN a Cobra. That means top speed genius. Take the two out to Bonneville, or even the Autobahn and you will be surprised at the results. Plus, the F-Bodies are more aerodynamic than the Mustang. That doesn't even take intellect to understand, JUST LOOK AT THE TWO SIDE-BY-SIDE.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
#1400272 10/04/05 05:36 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
well talk top end all you want but my cousin's '04 cobra(stock except exhaust and k&n)easily pulls on a guy we knows modded ls1 that runs 12.40's...i've been in the car and have it myself....just wait until he gets the $200 pulley kit and gets more boost...

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
#1400273 10/04/05 05:42 AM
"
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
"
Originally posted by dubkatz:
I will never have a daily driver that gets less than 25 mpg. A cobra would be an awesome car to have, but only on the weekends,

Vettes get 28 mpg hwy....

The Porsche 928 is one of my all time favorite cars, be prepared to bend over if you break anything though. But that's why it's a porsche, they're made to handle punishment.

1999 Mercury Mystique LS 3L Manual
#1400274 10/04/05 05:51 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Yeah, well one of MY good friends HAS a Cobra. It's a '93 model with a built 331 stroker connected to an intercooled Vortech centrifugal supercharger, pushing 11 psi of boost. It has WELL over 500 horsepower, and weighs very little compared to these "new" Cobras. He is VERY experienced at drag racing, and could only pull off a 13.1. He had FAT Ecstas out back and the same up front, all connected to a twin plate clutch and 3.70 gears out back to a limited slip differential. Don't tell me your ghetto little '04 can beat that, because it can't. There is just NO way. I'm not the novice ya'll must think I am. I've been around a couple times, and I just find the Camaro to do the job better. Period. It isn't that I don't like cobras, it's just they are not the best at what they do. No one said they were, no one said the Camaro was either, but I am saying a WELL taken care of WS6 with an EQUAL driver will pull an equal year Cobra anyday, and accomplish it without a supercharger. Trust me, a blown camaro is not something to be taken lightly.

#1400275 10/04/05 05:53 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Shotsatiated:
Originally posted by dubkatz:
I will never have a daily driver that gets less than 25 mpg. A cobra would be an awesome car to have, but only on the weekends,

Vettes get 28 mpg hwy....

The Porsche 928 is one of my favorite cars, be prepared to bend over if you break anything though. But that's why it's a porsche, they're made to handle punishment.

Agreed. One of my favorite sounds of all time is that"HOWL" a Porsche Flat-Six makes at high rpms.

#1400276 10/04/05 08:19 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
Yeah, well one of MY good friends HAS a Cobra. It's a '93 model with a built 331 stroker connected to an intercooled Vortech centrifugal supercharger, pushing 11 psi of boost. It has WELL over 500 horsepower, and weighs very little compared to these "new" Cobras. He is VERY experienced at drag racing, and could only pull off a 13.1. He had FAT Ecstas out back and the same up front, all connected to a twin plate clutch and 3.70 gears out back to a limited slip differential. Don't tell me your ghetto little '04 can beat that, because it can't. There is just NO way. I'm not the novice ya'll must think I am. I've been around a couple times, and I just find the Camaro to do the job better. Period. It isn't that I don't like cobras, it's just they are not the best at what they do. No one said they were, no one said the Camaro was either, but I am saying a WELL taken care of WS6 with an EQUAL driver will pull an equal year Cobra anyday, and accomplish it without a supercharger. Trust me, a blown camaro is not something to be taken lightly.

ill chime in here since i know more about these vehicles than these little goofy fwd cars. merc, your friend cant drive if he is running 13.1's in a supercharged '93 cobra. he may be spinning really bad, but odds are he cant drive. ive seen someone run 13.7's in a bone stock '93 cobra, stock down to the air silencer and tires. heck ive got a friend who cant drive who has taken a '98 cobra with a procharger down the quarter at a blistering 14.5. like i said he cant drive. heck i was beating that when my truck was n/a with just a few boltons. mm&ff ran an '03 cobra at like 12.4 i believe so thats a good second ahead of your badazz driver buddy. the ls1 cars are wicked awesome out of the box, i believe some 6 speeds are broke into the 12's. they were the king of the hill in their segment until the '03 cobras and mach1's came out. the mach is right about even with the ls1 cars, and the cobra is considerably better than that.

'96 Contour GL ATX 2.5 v6 -- Daily Driver '93 SVT Lightning -- The Toy
#1400277 10/04/05 01:20 PM
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by MadMerc97:

The Porsche 928 is one of my favorite cars, be prepared to bend over if you break anything though. But that's why it's a porsche, they're made to handle punishment.

Agreed. One of my favorite sounds of all time is that"HOWL" a Porsche Flat-Six makes at high rpms.

Uhh, 928 is a V8.

As far as bashing the interior, IMHO the Z28 uses the cheapest looking plastic ever (except for maybe the plastic in S10 trucks and Blazers). I have FAR more visibility out of a Mustang than an F-body.

Although the F-body does have that nice acreage on the dash if you decide to take up farming

I still stand by my original opinion. F-bodies suck, mainly due to the interior.

Worldclass drivetrain, except for the somewhat weak rear axle. How many times have you heard of an F-body swapping out his T-56 to get a stronger manual trans? Not many. LS-1? One of, if not the, best pushrod motors in the world. Not counting the LS-6/7 of course

I just can't see all this mechanical goodness through the glare from the chintzy plastic.

Apparently the market agreed since the Mustang outsold the Camaro and Firebird COMBINED most years. And Drag times didn't sway many because the majority of them were 6 cylinders, where the F-body 6 would totally OWN the Mustang 6 up until '99.

Ahh, choices! So glad we arent all forced to drive a Trabant

'98.5 SVT#5826 of 6535, Silver Frost-As fun to drive as my old MR2 and way more practical! Not as much fun to drive as my Turbo Rx7 was, but it starts every time!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard