Originally posted by dfrank:
Recently, I was on a rather tight cloverleaf (Midway/Ingraham Northbound to W. Mission Bay Dr. San Diego) and the car momentarily lost power -- like a miss, but there was no detonation. This happened once before in the very same place a year or so ago -- I had detonation then (no CEL), and so this time I pushed in the clutch, and when the turn was over, eased back into gear. Engine was around 3000-3500 rpm, 3rd gear I think. This turn is much tighter than a normal freeway cloverleaf, and is more than the normal 270 because of the angle of the streets. It's one of those turns you can take much faster if your car has good lateral characteristics.

I was wondering if this is the oil starvation issue -- no ticking sound, however, did I hear.

What is a "spun bearing" and what are the symptoms? Is a "spun bearing" one that has seized up?

I have read some of the forums about this and the oil starvation issue is confusing to me -- is it due to transverse mounting (why only right hand turns?) and ultimately, why build a good handling car with this kind of vulnerability (I can hear the answer -- this was an inexpensive car, and FMC couldn't have simulated/predicted/cared...and typically, after 60k or so, they want your car to break down anyway)

Anyone who has had this problem, has it been accompanied by a loss of power?

A new fuel filter fixed that problem for me. I was having the same "loss of power on ramp" issue.

1998 Ford Contour GL Sport 2.5 V6 MTX in Black @ 322ks BMW 335i = Lexus IS350 in your rearview mirror