Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
#1395057 01/11/06 06:06 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I think the point is don't shoot it down before it gets off the ground. Once they run off a few Mazda sets, modding the Y (if that's all that's needed) so they can be used on our cars (Cougars included) would be a minimal effort. The R&D costs could be spread out & prices can come down. They may even be adaptable to the Fusion/Milan, Escape, and others. The more the merrier.

Dig it???

In your defense, your reasoning is sound, but perhaps a bit premature. Let things shake out and don't bash. Encourage competition because it will be to everybodys benefit, not just ours.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1395058 01/11/06 08:04 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by fastcougar:
My point is this: Their price for a "full" system (headers & Y-Pipe) is not less, BUT MORE than SHM's where when they where being sold. They have only proven marginal gains over MSDS considering the price difference. If you treated your car like a "business of horsepower", the Return On Investment just isn't there ... the hp per $ ratio is horrible. Don't get me wrong, I see the market & desire for long tube headers for our cars, but what's the point really if it costs an arm and leg ... we already have that with SHM!

Well Nikolas at Draxas has been contacted by Adam (atom44wat from Mazda6club) who is still running MSDS headers on an ATX, he also was one of the ones who purchased the CPe headers. Other than the headers he has the CPe tunable intake system and Magnaflow catback. They will start with a dyno of the MSDS headers still on the car and make sure AFR is tuned properly and dyno again if required. Then they will install the CPe headers, dyno, check and adjust AFR as needed and dyno again if required. Back-to-back dynos, on the same day, on the same engine.

So we will finally have our answer in a few weeks time.

Driving the Caliber Side project: The LT-5 Fiero is being born..
#1395059 01/11/06 09:06 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Just out of curiosity, what is a tunable intake? I saw some mention of a MAF that cp-e makes or sells? I hope this isn't one of those deals where you control the A/F through the MAF, via a Mafterburner type device. Been there, done that, sent it back.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1395060 01/11/06 09:19 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Just out of curiosity, what is a tunable intake? I saw some mention of a MAF that cp-e makes or sells? I hope this isn't one of those deals where you control the A/F through the MAF, via a Mafterburner type device. Been there, done that, sent it back.

Mark

Piggyback, yes alters the A/F through a MAFterburner type of device, they sold them with their intake in both non-tunable preset and tunable types. There are proven dyno results of it working, but as mention many times before, the factory AF ratio is pretty screwed anyway.

#1395061 01/11/06 09:48 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Twisted6:

Mark

Piggyback, yes alters the A/F through a MAFterburner type of device, they sold them with their intake in both non-tunable preset and tunable types. There are proven dyno results of it working, but as mention many times before, the factory AF ratio is pretty screwed anyway.

I bought a 75mm Pro-M MAF and bought the Mafterburner type device that would allow you to lean it out or richen it up. Basically a hack way of tuning, which I was willing to try since at the time, there wasn't a whole lot to choose from as far as custom burned chips or Xcal2's. Put the car on the dyno to find out that the Mafterburner was adjusting the A/F backwards, so it'd go rich when I leaned it out and vise versa. For the money that you're spending, you might as well do your basic intake, and get an Xcal2 tune where you can make small adjustments.

Mark

#1395062 01/11/06 10:15 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T

I bought a 75mm Pro-M MAF and bought the Mafterburner type device that would allow you to lean it out or richen it up. Basically a hack way of tuning, which I was willing to try since at the time, there wasn't a whole lot to choose from as far as custom burned chips or Xcal2's. Put the car on the dyno to find out that the Mafterburner was adjusting the A/F backwards, so it'd go rich when I leaned it out and vise versa. For the money that you're spending, you might as well do your basic intake, and get an Xcal2 tune where you can make small adjustments.

Mark

The problem us 6 owners have is we have that "new-fangled" CAN protocol, which leaves Xcal2 and Predator and all the rest about dead in the water.

#1395063 01/12/06 04:30 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Twisted6:

Mark

The problem us 6 owners have is we have that "new-fangled" CAN protocol, which leaves Xcal2 and Predator and all the rest about dead in the water.

So there's no way of tuning the Mazda6?? Man that sucks!

Mark

#1395064 01/12/06 06:04 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T

So there's no way of tuning the Mazda6?? Man that sucks!

Mark

Other than through the CPe MAF box and Unichip, nope, but our latest shimmer of hope comes from Sniper Tuning who has taken an interest lately.

#1395065 01/12/06 06:46 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
The CAN protocol shouldn't be stopping SCT ... contact them and PROVE that the platform has a performance following and they might develop an XCal2 interface cable/software for your platform.

#1395066 01/13/06 09:12 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Got the baseline today, 174hp/146tq. I also did a wideband 02. And I also stopped by CPE and spoke to them again and it looks like I'll put some money down toward a set in about a month or so.

Former - 98 CSVT E0 T-Red 4/4/97 #173 of 6535 Dear Santa
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard