Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
ZER0 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
My dad has a 98 v6 SE, dont think that really matters. Yesterday I was changing his oil, and when I went to start the car, the key broke, leaving a piece in the ignition, I was at my gfs and didn't have another key, so I used the stump an tried to start the car. I guess the pieces are in exactly where they need to be because the car started. So all is good right? not so much, my dad wants to trade the car in, its gettin old and is starting to show its age. He is planning on bringing it to a stealership to get them to look at it. Im affraid hes prepairing himself for a massive bill. "Your gonna need a 2 new door locks, a new trunk lock and a new ignition cylinder... oh and thats gonna be 6 hours labour too." My dad really doesn't have that kinda money.
Is there anything I can do to get the piece out of there without having to bring it in? Any thoughs or suggestions would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Cotter Pin extractor?

OR.. as a LAST ditch effort, can't you use the stub of the key and dab a MICROSCOPIC bead of superglue to it and attach to the stuck piece?

LAST DITCH as it may end up sticking to the ignition, if you use too much.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Ford told me they can turn the tumblers in door locks to match keys. I don't know if that is a possibility with ignition locks (or just retumbling all the locks to match the new ignition key).

Regardless -- I believe older Contours came with two keys, one for locks and other for ignition. (Am I correct here?) I know for a fact that older cars in general did ... so your dad could replace the ignition key and then advertise the car as such.

It'd have to be done at the dealer, as they would have to reprogram the keys too (all V6's came with PATS).

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
He's got a single key 98.

Can you turn on the ignition without the key in there?

If you can't, and you have 2 keys, then it's not that big of a deal cause you can have the unbroken key to unlock doors/trunk and use the broken one as just the ignition key.

And yes, I know for a fact a locksmith can rekey the trunk lock, so I'd imagine they can rekey the door cylinders too. It cost me $15 for the trunk rekey.

So say an ignition from the junkyard for $5-$10, all 3 cylinders (2 doors, 1 trunk) $15-$30, and rekey for $45 (or less). So $65-$85 DIY.

And that's assuming the parts are coming off different cars. If the yard has the keys to a complete car, you're good to go. If they let ya get them (some don't like parting out the column), then like $50 or so and put them in yourself.

Hell, put it in the classifieds, there's a few people on here with parts cars that might let you get the parts for low cost, then throw them in.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Kane:
He's got a single key 98.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - just saying he could get the ignition replaced then advertise the car as having two keys.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Talk to a locksmith and see if he has any ideas.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by 98 SE:

Regardless -- I believe older Contours came with two keys, one for locks and other for ignition. (Am I correct here?) I know for a fact that older cars in general did ... so your dad could replace the ignition key and then advertise the car as such.

FYI; Older Contours that had 2 keys used one for the ignition and the doors and the other was for the trunk and glove box.

My Cars 1999 Silver Frost SVT - 80,000km #2603/2760 Aug. 10, 1999. 1996 Mercury Mystique LS V6 MTX - retired @ 323,151km. 1995 Ford Contour V6 MTX-sold @ 214,000km
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by KyleH:
Originally posted by 98 SE:

FYI; Older Contours that had 2 keys used one for the ignition and the doors and the other was for the trunk and glove box.

Correct...

The dealer I got my 96GL from only gave me the ignition/door key, so I got a 98+ trunk cylinder from a u-pull-it junk yard for $5, rekeyed for $15. $20 and I could now open my trunk from the outside!

I just ignored the fact that I couldn't lock the glovebox.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
When this happened in my 92 Tarus ford wanted 180 for the ingnition and then labor. I went to the hard ware store and bouthg a screw driver. worked fine for 6 months till I traded it in.

99 Contour SE Sport
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Most keys can be removed from a lock if done with by the right person...

You need to talk with a locksmith and get that key out of there. I work in a high rise building, and keys are constantly being broken in the locks throughout the building. We don't replace the locks, but extract the keys and continue to use the lock!!

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard