Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Hi group,

Here's the story:

1999 Ford Contour SE (yes its a v6...all SE's are v6). Garage kept all it's life & in Excellent condition. About 97,500 miles, 75% highway / freeway.

Blower motor quit last week with no warning. Here's the history of attempted fixes:
* 30 amp fuse from interior underdash location ok, but replaced anyway.
* Blower relay seemed ok, but switched out with another one...and that circuit continued to work...so blower relay must have been ok. Left switched like that.
* Blower motor runs with 12 volts applied directly.
* Blower motor resistor was ok, but replaced anyway (liked the better design of the new one)
* Blower Switch replaced. Not sure if it was bad, but replaced anyway. After replacement, seemed like liquid was inside the old switch. Clueless on how it got there.
* Underhood "maxi fuse" in power distribution box looks ok.
* No indication of shorting or burning in any of the connectors involved with this repair. All wiring seems solid, flexible, and appears as new.

I need a wiring diagram for this specific vehicle, and advice on where & how to find what is probably a wiring issue.

Any help?

Thanks,

Rich 1999 T-Red SE MTX (Mine) 1994 Red Explorer XLT (Son's) 2001 P-Gold XLT 4x4 Escape (Wife's)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
And to answer your other question.

From the Forum FAQ.
"What does the flashing envelope icon on the Menu bar denote?
It means that you have unread Private Messages."

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by SetiRich:

(yes its a v6...all SE's are v6).

This is off topic, but not all SE's have the v6(Duratec). All 95-97 SE's have it, but not all 98-00 SE's have it.

'98 Contour Pacific Green(Modded) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676416 FS:'98-00 Contour front bumper.Brand new unused (Non-SVT)
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
I think it's 95-98 se's have v6's...but not all 98.5-00's have them

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Well folks,

Your right and I'm wrong...

Just looked at my 98 & 99 Catalogs and both have the Z as the standard engine. Guess it's been a long time since I looked at those...and every time I see an SE it seems to have the 2.5 thing on it...so it must be a popular option...

Anyway...I learned two things today...

Thanks also to Tony for ... uh ... adjusting my vision!

Rich 1999 T-Red SE MTX (Mine) 1994 Red Explorer XLT (Son's) 2001 P-Gold XLT 4x4 Escape (Wife's)
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Hi, I'm the guy with the same blower problem like you do.
No problem on the fuse and relay or resistor.
Ordered a switch and will give it a try.

But, before that I want to know how I get the panel on the switch off?
The panel is different from the instrustion on autozone.
Do I need to take the panel with the cup holder on the bottom too?

Maroon 99 Contour SE 2.5L V6 ATX
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I have the exact same issue as SetiRich. Tried everything. However after I checked the switch and changed the resistor, I let the fuse box down in the car and the fan started working. It worked for a day or so then quit again. Fuse is fine so I replaced the relay, still no fan. Any help for SetiRich and I would be greatly appreciated.

1998 SVT. Silver Frost. #4076 of 6535. SOLD! http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2143175
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Sivart:
I have the exact same issue as SetiRich. Tried everything. However after I checked the switch and changed the resistor, I let the fuse box down in the car and the fan started working. It worked for a day or so then quit again. Fuse is fine so I replaced the relay, still no fan. Any help for SetiRich and I would be greatly appreciated.

Check out this thread and pay particular attention to Jeb Hoge's posts. He mentions the fuses too. You may want to check if the connections to the relay and fuses are clean and tight.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1003884&Forum=trouble&Words=jeb%20hoge&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=1002191&Search=true#Post1003884

Last edited by Tony2005; 09/23/05 04:33 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Hang in there guys...I found the issue...at least with my Contie...and its either easy or hard to fix...but I've got to do some stuff right now...and for a few hours...I'll post the story with pic's later tonight...(Saturday).

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Found the issue...It was not any of the things we've been talking about:

Found some instructions on diagnosis of this issue...followed the instructions...ended up taking out the central distribution box...the fusebox by the clutch (for those of you with mtx).

It was a wire / connector set going into the dist. box...would be the top of the box as it's normally latched up into its proper location. You can take it completely out of the car by doing these things:

Disconnect your battery first...you'll be messing with lots of hot wires & connectors

1.) Swing the inside fuse box down by releasing the latch on the right side of the box...as if you were just going to change a fuse.

2.) Looking at the way it's attached, you can see it pivots on two large posts sticking out from the black part of it. By pushing/pulling the whole dist. box toward the rear of the car, you can snap the large pivots out of their holders.

***Before you take the long connectors out�write down which side each goes into! One is white & one is black on the end�you�ll see what I mean�***

3.) Lots of wire harness's to disconnect...two large long ones on the fuse side first...there is a push tab on the fuse end of each long connector...push this in and the whole long connector pivots up with the other end still attached. Get it far enough out so it's not connected electrically, and you can move the long block pivots towards the fuses, and the whole long connector will come away from the white section of the box...sorry if it seems like I'm rambling...

4.) After both of these are clear, you have to get the connectors free on the other side. Spend a little time studying each one and carefully push the tab for each, and work the connector out of the box.

5.) There are 5 connectors going into this box. One is a single wire. One is a two wire with really big wires...it's the main stuff from the battery. There are two more with multiple (more than 4) wires. The one that I burnt out is on the corner of the box, has 3 pins in the socket on the box, but only two of them are used, at least in my model, a very early 1999.

Here�s some pic�s of the stuff:

The spot with missing fuse box. Note the two slots where the box�s mounting posts came out of.

Note the ears that make the hinge of the fusebox. You can also see the corrosion in the box socket:

Not the box with its long connectors missing. You can see the hinge points of those connectors by my thumb here.

Here are a couple of shots to show you the long connectors hinge points. Phew�looks like I better get the leaves vacuumed out of my car!

This connector looks like its toast!

So anyway, I needed to use the car, so I put it back together (no dealers open in Detroit on Saturday). Thought I�d leave the nasty connector unplugged (I�d do an acoustic set) until I replaced it, but the car wouldn�t start, so I plugged it in and the car started up ok.

WTH!!!!The darn blower started working!!! Jeez�.I must have scrapped some of the stuff off somewhere in that connection�enough to complete a circuit and it works.

Still have to replace that connector & clean up the stuff on / in the box socket. But it�s clearly at fault for all of this nonsense in my case�

I�d have a look at this box�and it�s connectors in yours�if you�ve got the problem or not�you might someday, and it�s always easier to clean up electrical connections on a nice 65 degree fall day�that sometime this winter when it�s really cold. I can only guess why this connector would go on me like this. Maybe it�s the material that is in either the connector or the spade in the box socket (it�s a male socket). Maybe they just didn�t like each other electrically�sometimes trace amounts of a metal in a product can cause this. Whatever it is, I guess I might be good for another 100,000 miles or so�

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard