Next Thread
Print Thread
P
phinfan Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
2000 4cyl idles fine but no power on acceration. under 15 mph runs fine but over that it hesitates and dies. any ideas guys

phinfan

"We are the people our parents warned us about" 2000 Ford Contour SE zetec 138000 miles 1 owner
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Clogged cat?
Low fuel pressure?
Bad MAF?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
P
phinfan Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
a 5 thousand miles ago the timing belt sliped and the guy who replaced it said it bent a valve in the #4 cyl. cel said misfire on #4. so i went to another guy who said he timed it wrong and he pulled the belt and reset the cams properly.it ran fine. so i guess the question is would a cloged converter just go from bad to good all at once? or would the problem build after time?btw no cel now.

thanks
phinfan

"We are the people our parents warned us about" 2000 Ford Contour SE zetec 138000 miles 1 owner
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Clogged cats creep up on ya over time.

If there are no codes for timing, check fuel pressure response, maybe the TPS, and the MAF. If you know someone with a good scantool you should be able to see what the problem is.

You may want to do a compression test, but if it runs slow at low load OK it's probably OK.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Clogged cat?
Low fuel pressure?
Bad MAF?

Test by: disconnect battery, remove the upper O2 sensor, reconnect battery. If the car performs better, then you know the pre-cat is clogged. If car doesn't perform better, try with lower O2 sensor. If the car performs better, then the main cat is clogged.

Change fuel filter

Clean MAF

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=958650&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Last edited by Tony2005; 09/22/05 05:24 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
phinfan Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
the guy who fixed it for me the second time did a compression test to check for the bent valve. said compression was good. i will check the rest of the stuff you guys recommended today.

thanks

phinfan

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard