Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
Well, I'm looking to buy a car in 2 weeks or so, and I've found a 96 Mystique. It's got kinda high mileage at 149000+ miles, and it's a 5 speed. I don't really kno wmuch else about the car, I just happened to spot an ad on a local car enthusiast website. The guy says he's put about 1500 Cdn into it on the past year, including a custom intake and exhaust setup. The car needs front struts, brakes and front rotors. There's a few of these at a local junkyard so I could get the parts pretty cheaply. Only thing is, I'm kinda scared of these cars. So many people seem to have problems with them, they call them Mistake, Detour and other censored words. Are they really all that bad? Here, I'll put up a link to the ad I saw.

http://www.lowmotion.org/viewtopic.php?t=58633

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I'd stay away from that one in particular...

read here...

and here

...at least you came to the right place, anywho

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Same reason they call them "rustangs", "firechickens", Pontiac GrandMa's,, crapoliers, etc.

Just an affectionate name, I guess.

Any car CAN be trouble.. the level of maintenance you perform is a HUGE factor. that many miles, expect things to be old, worn, or needing replacement.

Struts I would go ONLY new... sucks to pay and replace them to get a worn one.
Springs are fine, as they are usually ripped off the car sooner rather than later for replacements of a lowering variety (enabling you to grab SVT springs and struts as a relatively great price!!)

brakes are wear items, obviously needing replacement..
If the price (800) is CANADIAN, and you are paying USD (I assume as you corrected the mileage to US terms) then that is a STEAL.

MTX Zetec's can and are as formidable as an Auto duratec (2.5V6) Great deal, even if you have work to do on it.

Expect to replace the clutch SOMETIME soon, unless he can vouch/prove a new one already. Look in to the status of your typical rubber bushings, control arms, etc, as they are likely worn out and will cause considerable differences in the overall handling (not dangerous.. not really noticeable if you drive it while they deteriorate.. just REALLY noticeable once you freshen them all up and go "wow.. it WAS different!"

EDIT: didn't know it was THAT car. There are others out there for a great price.. that guy.. wow.. I'd walk away and keep your eye out.. you CAN get a GREAT deal on another one!

Ray

Last edited by Ray; 09/21/05 09:04 PM.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Don't forget the ford Exploder

98.5 SVT FOR SALE $5000
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by SILFROSvT98:
Don't forget the ford Exploder

Or the Danger Rangers.

Yeah, I would definatly stay away from that one. Look in the classifieds here you may be able to find a better one for a decent price.
Pluse all that name calling them the "mistake" is really stupid, I have a Mystique myself and love the car to death, sure it's a Zetec ATX but it's my pride and joy. I had very few things go wrong with it, just normal wear and tear really.

Last edited by Mystique97; 09/21/05 09:51 PM.

Jason G. 1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC ATX Born: 11/96
I
OP Offline
I
This guy tend to beat up on his cars or something?

I
OP Offline
I

N
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
N
Basicly, any word that can sound similar to the vehicle name is likely to be used. I work at a Ford dealer and we have alternate names for pretty much every model, no matter how good or bad it is. For example, the Excretion, Exploder, Mistake...well, most of the others have a slightly sexual twist so I won't go there, but there are more. Doesn't always directly reflect on the car.

Shawn Clone Jezabel- 1999 SE Sport V6 MTX- Severly wounded, comatose Silver frost/Black Exterior-Midnight Blue Interior The Firecracker- 1995 Mystique LS V6 MTX stock and backfiring like a rifle shot I have 3 loves, my God, Brittany, and my Car.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Infinitrium:
This guy tend to beat up on his cars or something?

Did you read the links I gave you above?

If so, it should be pretty clear what he did to his car...

I know nothing about the other car you posted.

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
I
OP Offline
I
Yes, I read both threads. I can only assume since he did such a hack job on that intake, he probably does abuse the car, but I was not sure. I don't like assuming things I don't know. And about that other car, I wasn't asking if you knew anything about it, I just wanted to get your general opinion about it, that was all. I see the price on it has dropped to $650 Cdn now. Would that be a good deal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard