Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
matt351 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
what do you guys think are the most cost effective suspension upgrades. i have a '96 gl with an atx and a v6. i was thinking of trying to pick up some svt tour springs and what not. any recomendations.

'96 Contour GL ATX 2.5 v6 -- Daily Driver '93 SVT Lightning -- The Toy
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Svt springs/struts are damn near the same. Do a search for spax struts or KYB's, they are cheap and a bit of an upgrade from stock.

Often, a set of Koni's/GC will show up in the classifieds. You can also pick up the Koni Sport kit (comes with springs and struts) for under 700.00 shipped.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The BAT kit is an Excellent upgrade - worthy of consideration for even an SVT. Not a harsh ride, 1" drop, much improved handling, & very much reduced dive. $595 last I looked.

batinc.net

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
"Cost Effective:" You have a GL with GL springs and struts, a tiny rear swaybar, etc. so just about anything will be an upgrade. Also, when you say "cost effective" I'm guessing you've already seen the BAT kit at around $600, with most other arrangements climbing the price scale from there, and decided to look for something more "grassroots."

You could go with early SE springs on fresh SE struts, with an early SE/SVT rear swaybar. Sure to be some used SE springs out there somewhere.

You could go with SVT springs/struts. All SVT struts now are the later-spec "E1" type, which are supposedly a bit firmer than the E0 model. SVT struts, new, are around $64 each from Mr Jenkins and other discount sources. I would not go used here. Springs, though, are bound to be out there as so many upgrade to something lower.

You could go with the smaller SVT bar on the front end, which would allow a bit more lean, but would also reduce understeer.

Poly bushings are cheap, cheap, cheap. I'd put them at least on the rear swaybar. Putting them on the front would stiffen that end, which may not be what you want. You'll want to freshen up the rubber, though, if it's never been done. You'd be surprised how much these little things affect the overall feel of the car.

For that matter, it may not seem cost effective, and it's not really an "upgrade" but your front lower control arms are probably worn out if they are original. These are expensive from the dealer, but can be had more cheaply off of Ebay.

So, bottom line: Refresh the "perishable" parts and replace the others with factory pieces from the more aggressive members of the family.

HTH.

Last edited by RogerB; 09/20/05 05:13 PM.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
BAT kit
19mm rear bar
Poly bushings
New front bar end links

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
you have a pm

~Crystian 2000 Se sport 2001 Lightning(Sorry!your mom cant come with us)
M
matt351 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
im thinking of getting someones used svt stuff, it seems like the best bang for the buck. im sort of strapped right now for cash. i may end up using se stuff since i am good friends with the local salvage yard owner, odds are i could get the se springs and swaybars for free, or really cheap. how much would either the se or the svt setup lower the car over the stock gl crap. also, are both of those setups i just mentioned gonna be a good step up from what ive got now. the suspension doesnt really need freshend up, the car only has 50 thousand easy miles on it. thanks for the help guys.

'96 Contour GL ATX 2.5 v6 -- Daily Driver '93 SVT Lightning -- The Toy
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
If your suspsension is fine, don't bother messing with it until you can afford to do it properly.

What if you get a used set where the springs are fine and the struts are blown? Then you have to get new struts and either pay or replace them yourself.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
then leave it till it blows if you are really strapped.

~Crystian 2000 Se sport 2001 Lightning(Sorry!your mom cant come with us)
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Either SVT springs/struts, SVT rear sway bar or if you can find one, an "Aussie" bar

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard