Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rearden Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
When I got my car a couple months ago, I found a receipt from about 10k miles ago that mentioned the left rear caliper was seized, and that the owner declined repairs. It's not that big of a deal, so I figured I'd change the pads, rotor, and caliper in a month or so when I get some more time.

Today as I was coming to a stoplight I started slowing down as usual, then the pedal dropped to the floor! I threw it into first and pumped the brakes frantically, ending up just inches from a large pickup truck with a big chrome bumper at about grille/headlight level.

I pulled into a parking lot and saw that the inside of the left rear wheel was soaked with brake fluid. My first thought was that I shouldn't have put off replacing that caliper because it probably blew out the piston seal.

I carefully limped home, staying the heck away from other cars and using lower gears for engine braking. I crawled underneath, and quickly saw the actual cause of the problem. The jackass mechanic who looked at it apparently didn't bother taking the 2 seconds to clip the brake hose in place. It was sitting against the inner lip of the wheel, which had rubbed a hole into it!

I called every parts store in town, and got the same answer--if I had drum brakes I'd be set, but the caliper and disc brake hose are special order items. For the time being I cut the hose, jammed a screw in, and put a hose clamp around it.

I'm going to call the shop that did the work tomorrow. I want to at least give them a piece of my mind, and hopefully get reimbursed for the brake hose as well.

Long story short, don't put off brake problems (I would have spotted the hose well before it almost got me into an accident if I didn't procrastinate), and make damn sure the hoses are clipped in place and routed properly!

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by rearden:
It was sitting against the inner lip of the wheel, which had rubbed a hole into it!

ya know, my stainless steel brakelines that baer supplied me do the same thing! Their too friggin short to stay behind the retainer on the strut, so everytime i turn, they come out from behind the retainer and then rub on the tire.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
So tie them up with some nylon ties. Don't mess around with something like that.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by rearden:
Long story short, don't put off brake problems (I would have spotted the hose well before it almost got me into an accident if I didn't procrastinate), and make damn sure the hoses are clipped in place and routed properly!

I personally don't mess around with any leaks, especially brakes...

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
R
rearden Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Woodencross:

I personally don't mess around with any leaks, especially brakes...

It wasn't leaking before, the slider pins on the caliper were just seized up. By itself that's no big deal on a rear brake. But I wish I had taken care of it earlier because I would've seen the hose being worn down before it blew out!

And beyondloaded--do what BigJim suggested and tie those lines in place! I feel EXTREMELY lucky, considering how many times I'd tromp on the brakes while approaching a red light with heavy cross traffic going 55 mph.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard