Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1387169 09/16/05 12:49 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I'm in South Carolina if you are anywhere near here! I wouldn't mind helping you if you decide you need some.

Let us know someone will help.

#1387170 09/16/05 02:20 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Ike:
Now THAT'S what I'm trying to hear. Anyway, my first car was a 1976 Ford Elite. No front-wheel drive, no fancy stuff, and LOTS of room to work with under the hood. 4 plugs and wires on one side, 4 on the other. Pull 'em out, plug 'em in. Simple job. Of course I didn't have anything to lose working on an old clunker with a 351 iron block. I've never even messed with a front-wheel drive car before, and after watching my boy Sean work on my Chrysler Cirrus (Mitsubishi engine actually), I don't want to screw anything up. That's alright, it's time to call my pops back into town and have him show me a couple more things.

Although I don't think he's going to be to thrilled about it either (he hates these new cars).

You can do it. There are several "How-to's" around. Try here. I did mine a few months ago, my first time EVER doing anything like this. DEFINITELY use some duct/ electrical tape and attach the plug ratchet to the long shaft, will save you some time and trouble. You are right, with the V6 engine, there isn't a ton of extra room, but I did not have to take anything extra off.

If I can do it, ANYONE can!

Good luck !

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1387171 09/16/05 02:58 PM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
FWIW, guys, this thread's really making me feel better about trying to do my own plugs/wires. I just need to get some wrench extensions and stuff. I still wish I'd done them when we did our manifolds last month though.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
#1387172 09/16/05 03:20 PM
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
I'm not a mechanic.

A lot of us here aren't mechanics either. With the help of the how-to's, us "non automotive technicians" are learning to do more and more to our cars. My ride hasn't been to the stealership once, thanks to the CEG. All work is done by me and my husband. Sometimes it takes longer than it should but, we're getting it.

Starting out with plugs and wires...it will take you some time but when you're done you will feel good that you did it yourself. Plus, you'll save a bunch of money.

Have some of faith in yourself. You can do this!

Also, tell people where you're located, you got lots of offers of help. Take advantage of the fact that people here will help you.

Last edited by LUCA; 09/16/05 03:22 PM.
#1387173 09/16/05 03:32 PM
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
Amazing! Folks from Michigan and even South Carolina are offering to help. I appreciate it (everyone) but I think after listening to everybody I might as well grab some tools and get 'er done. At this point I'm almost excited to try this. THanks guys (and girls).

'98 CSVT Black -AEM short-ram intake -Optimized TB -Optimized y-pipe -Magnaflow cat-back -B&M short-throw shifter -UD pulleys -Poly mount "It's quicker than it was stock!"
#1387174 09/16/05 03:33 PM
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
Buy the way, I'm from St. Louis, Missouri, I don't think that's close to anyone.

'98 CSVT Black -AEM short-ram intake -Optimized TB -Optimized y-pipe -Magnaflow cat-back -B&M short-throw shifter -UD pulleys -Poly mount "It's quicker than it was stock!"
#1387175 09/16/05 03:40 PM
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
While I'm at it, how do I clean my UIM and LIM. Is it as simple as removing the UIM and spraying something in it or what exactly am I supposed to do?

#1387176 09/16/05 03:56 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Go to the Duratec Maintenance Forum.. click one of the stickied threads at the top (little red pin) that says "Duratec Maintenance FAQ" and scroll down to either LIM, or UIM (its in alphabetical order)

Click the link, and you're there.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1387177 09/16/05 04:04 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
While I'm at it, how do I clean my UIM and LIM. Is it as simple as removing the UIM and spraying something in it or what exactly am I supposed to do?

uh, if you're frightened by changing plug wires, then a UIM/LIM cleaning is not for you. there's a lot of sensors, bolts, hoses, and curing involved. we had a meet last month, we started at 10 AM and were leaving around 7PM. granted we stopped for food, occassional random breaks, but even so, it's several hours worth of PITA.

I am glad to see you're going to give it a shot. as said before, I found the hardest part getting the old wires off. I ended up taking a CEGers advice and gripping them with channel lock pliers and yanking them out. you just have to be sure to get a solid grip or the rubber boot will tear up, but it wasn't too bad.

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
#1387178 09/16/05 04:11 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
FWIW:

the UIM/LIM cleaning process can be broken down in to a couple of stages:

removal: (by far the easiest part... ) can be done in 20 minutes after you've done it once.

Cleaning: (the simplest part) takes the longest, but is simple.. just spray, scrub, wipe, repeat. The better part of 3-5 hours will be used soaking, and cleaning.

Assembly: (no more difficult than removal...) can be done in 30-45 minutes.

NOT a hard job, just intimidating.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard