Next Thread
Print Thread
#1386131 09/14/05 05:33 PM
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Back in 1/04 I had my ABS system fry out on me. The ABS computer shorted out causing the fuse to blow knocking out my heater fan. This made for a very cold ride home.

I had it replaced under warranty by my local mechanic at a tune of $3,531. Replaced was: Fuse, ABS control module, Master cylinder, brake fluid, and power brake booster. His shop has since closed (It�s been redeveloped as a Walgreen.)

Anyhow, last winter (approx 1 year from repairs) the same problem occurred again.
I'd push the brake it would do the extra drop, I'd hear the groan from the ABS system, but the pedal would kick back up, lights would dim, and the ABS light would come on (The light stays on for about two driving cycles.) The last time this happened not only did the heater fan stop working but soon after my alt. stopped charging, this might just be a coincidence.

This is a completely repeatable problem, anytime the ABS system is used (wet or dry) this happens.

My problem is now the car is out of the warranty, and his shop is closed, I have no choice but to pay the 3000+ repair bill.

I was wondering if there is a way to get the ABS system on a diagnosis to tell me what exactly is wrong with the system so I could see if their is a way to fix it myself.

98 Contour GL 4 cyl 131,000 miles - 57,000 w/o a CEL! Get Firefox
#1386132 09/14/05 08:56 PM
L
L
Yes, Ford or a good brake shop can hook it up to run the diagnostics. Did they change the computer or the pump? The computer is expensive, the pump is cheap.

What year do you have? I replaced the ABS pump unit on my 98 SVT for $160, with a some blood, sweat and choice words for the contortion artist who created it. But it can be done. I went online and got a salvage part. My symptoms were locked-up brakes. The ABS pump was not allowing the fluid to relieve pressure from the front brakes, keeping them engaged.

It is not your master cylinder or power brake booster.

Also, you may have bad sensors at the wheels. A computer diagnosis should be able to pin-point the problem.

Greg 1998 E0 T-Red #613
#1386133 09/15/05 02:02 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I had the fuse go, and they changed the relay, and the fuse. It was NOT that expensive.

If it is happening in the wet, you might just have an exposed wire shorting out on you (see my previous post).

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1386134 09/15/05 10:42 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I would also say that you probally have a short to ground problem happend to me to and blew the fuse. so find the abs wires and connect you dvom meter to every wire and then touch the ground.. your going to have the dvom on the ohm rating it looks like a upside down horseshoe , if the meter reads ol or open you good now if you have a reading you have a problem , but watch out some of the wires will have a reading because they are a ground , so you best bet is to get a schematic for the abs then go from there

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard