Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by 111R:
i was going to get a high-flow magnaflow cat to go with msds headers/ypipe but after reading all of this i am not so sure...

Assuming you have a catback. Do you have any idea how loud this set up is gonna be?

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by dubkatz:
i was going to get a high-flow magnaflow cat to go with msds headers/ypipe but after reading all of this i am not so sure...

Assuming you have a catback. Do you have any idea how loud this set up is gonna be?

uh nope probably catback would be borla, trubenz, or a custom job i am looking into. i also didnt want something loud so would there be any way around this to make it smog legal?

-a

koni kit - hpp rstb camber/plates - cf (yikes!) polyroll resistors - TCA's WR headers/ypipe -TB hiflow cat SFC's - XCal2 -dreaming of 3L-
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by dubkatz:

uh nope probably catback would be borla, trubenz, or a custom job i am looking into. i also didnt want something loud so would there be any way around this to make it smog legal?

-a

as long as you have a main cat wether its hi flow or not you should pass no problem. assuming your engine is in good operating condition.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I'm not so sure about that after reading the first post in this thread by goldentour. You are right in that the engine needs to be running properly but he stated his readings were worse after he installed a high flow cat. It would be interesting to see exactlty what those readings were. I would also be curious to see smog results from other duratecs with a list of mods, mileage, etc. This way we could all know if it is safe to use various combinations and still pass smog.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Marky:
I'm not so sure about that after reading the first post in this thread by goldentour. You are right in that the engine needs to be running properly but he stated his readings were worse after he installed a high flow cat. It would be interesting to see exactlty what those readings were. I would also be curious to see smog results from other duratecs with a list of mods, mileage, etc. This way we could all know if it is safe to use various combinations and still pass smog.

He also posts
"i think the higher the flow, the more likely your toxins will just blow right by the cat. "

if you ever look into a cat you can clearly see nothing is gonna just "blow right by"

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Understand. What really matters is the test results, does high flow = less effective? I can't remember the price of a stock cat it was posted a while back and I know it was expensive. If these high flow cats don't perform well enough to pass smog whats the point? The minimal if any hp gains don't justify the price.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Just for some additional info, I just swapped in a test pipe in place of my cat (higher flow than any cat) and I haven't really noticed any power difference at all. Like I had mentioned before, I think the cat just isn't much of a restriction in our cars. I think the money that you would spend on a high-flow cat could be better spent elsewhere.

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
How does it sound, any rasp or drone?

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
How does it sound, any rasp or drone?

None, actually it is a little quieter than the stock cat surprisingly...

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Understand. What really matters is the test results, does high flow = less effective? I can't remember the price of a stock cat it was posted a while back and I know it was expensive. If these high flow cats don't perform well enough to pass smog whats the point? The minimal if any hp gains don't justify the price.

O i would agree 100% with that.
But like Paul just posted he gained nothing from removing it totaly so i doubt a highflow would help any. Maybe if you were running a super/turbo charger were you wanted zero back pressure. But a stock/lighty moded 2.5 nobody is gonna see any gains.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fmr12B_dup1, path914 

Link Copied to Clipboard