Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I've filled up once since I got the car back. I've always been a semi-conservative driver (speed counts only in the twisties for me ), but after spending ungodly amounts of money fixing it up and now worrying about the ATX I'm taking it slower than usual regardless of gas prices.

I did, however, get up to 90 today (haven't done so in months, I usually linger around 75-80 with speed limit 65), right on I395 by exit 6 where there is typically a speed trap .. and stupid me, the officer was there with his gun once again .. scary moment as he got in his car and got on the highway right after I drove by ...

G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
im driving like 30mph in 5th gear..yea thats right!

B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
I still drive like an idiot too. I wish I could resist, but with a new 3L, it's near impossible for me to do it.

+1

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I have been trying to shift before the secondaries kick in. Does not seem to make much difference compared to my usual 5k shifts.

Carl 2000 Black CSVT #415 89 SHO (RIP) 75 280z
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Damn straight. I drive by hardly opening up the throttle up at all, which leads to slow acceleration and hopefully increased gas mileage. I'll find out tomorrow when I fill it up for the first time in over 3 weeks. I also cruise in the highest gear possible, as long as I can do so without applying much pressure at all to the throttle. Usually that means coasting around in 4th gear at 25 mph and 5th gear at 35 mph, as long as I don't have to go up any hills. Basically, I try to drive with the throttle as near closed as possible, and the RPMs as low as possible. I'll also coast in neutral or with the clutch in while going down hills.

I hate driving like this. I know it's saving me money, but I feel restrained and I don't want my secondaries to get gunked up

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
a few things to note:

driving belowe the "bulk" of the powerband (lower than about 2K) is a waste of time... There is more strain on the transaxle to pull a car that low in the rpm range, and in turn uses more gas.

Also.. coasting in neutral or with the clutch in uses more gas than leaving it in gear and "engine braking" down a hill.

In neutral, you are still pumping gas through the injectors (idling)... in gear, it will actually shut off the injectors and stop using gas at all.. Coasting in gear is the most efficient means of operating the engine that is possible.

You will see the best mileage staying between 2K and 3K (power band and secondary operation, respectively).

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
i'm addicted the the sound of my BOV

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Ray:
In neutral, you are still pumping gas through the injectors (idling)... in gear, it will actually shut off the injectors and stop using gas at all.. Coasting in gear is the most efficient means of operating the engine that is possible.

No kidding? Wow, that's good to know.

You will see the best mileage staying between 2K and 3K (power band and secondary operation, respectively).

Yup, that's where I've been doing most of my revs lately. Shifting in that range through first and second and then if I need to get speed on, using third in the torquey 2K-4K band to get into cruising speed and sometimes I'll skip fourth altogether. Also, when I did my intake manifold cleaning, I did that little pre-98 trick of resetting the LIM throttles' stop to crack 'em open a little more at rest, and I do notice a bit more midrange oomph before they go full open.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
In neutral, you are still pumping gas through the injectors (idling)... in gear, it will actually shut off the injectors...Ray

This probably doesn't apply to us ATX drivers, does it?

Edit.
Before warming up, in shifting between D and N, the revs go down in D and up in N (which is what you were saying for the MTX). After warming up, the revs "appear the same" (according to the tachometer) except that the engine "sounds" different when it is in D.

Last edited by Tony2005; 09/09/05 03:05 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Yes, been driving slower and not opening up the secondaries. Shifting early. Not going over 70. It sucks but I was able to get 26.7 MPG on the last tank. Usually around 23. Is it worth it. Maybe not.

Rich S

1998 SVT 1995 Contour 2.5 MTX 215K miles Son's car(dead and buried) 1997 Contour 2.0 ATX 1998 Contour 2.5 ATX 2004 Tauras Wagon 3.0 Duratec
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard