Next Thread
Print Thread
#1381162 09/08/05 03:21 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
What is the best way to deglaze rotors? Mine look almost like they are chromed. Could I do something (aside from changing) to the pads to make a difference? The pads and rotors are less that 18 months old......

It made for some scary stops on the highway on the weekend...

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1381163 09/08/05 04:54 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Most shops use a sanding disc on a drill motor. You want to leave a swirl type pattern. You must remove the pads to do it properly, and you should lightly sand the pads as well.

That said, many just take a light cut on the rotors with a brake lathe and sand the rotors.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1381164 09/11/05 05:13 PM
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Just did that myself couple weeks ago. About the same mileage and two years since new Stazi frt brake job.
I used a 6" orbital right angle sander with 80 grit, I suggest 60 grit it be easier and faster.
I removed the 1/16" ridges, minor ridges (pad contact area) & also small surface erosions (not a machinists term??)caused from winter salt.
I even touch-up pads and I still haven't yet found the caliper pin bushing so those didn't get replaced. Surprise the brake smooth as silk no more weird shutter.
Of course everything got cleaned with good CRC cleaner and lube as doing a new job.
I do like these Bendix pads not to mention the good quality rotors. Having a good casting allowed the machining/cleaning to provide like new surface again.
I'm guessing .001"-.002" of the pad contact rotor surface was removed.
I also finally found a few weeks later Castrol LMA and a Might VAC and did full flush, also providing even better pedal feel.
Guess now I'll be more inclined to flush yearly now.
Ah what a good feeling when maintenance turns out so good the first try! I saved money and hours of furstation aruging with a shop!

Paul
It's becoming more difficult finding 6" sanding discs?

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Finally got around to pulling the rotors et al yesterday. I didn't get them turned, just took a sanding disc and took off the glaze. I also sanded the pads, as they felt too smooth for my liking. Lastly, did pins and bushings. Onje thing that worked well was the new lube I used, Permatex Ultra (green). Much slipperier than the old stuff.

The end result? It's a little better, but not a ton. I might have to contact Stazi about the Titanium pads.....

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard