Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SCSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I have a friend that put power steering fluid in the brake fluid reservoir.

Will this cause the brakes to seize because they have. Any suggestions I could give to him?

Any help would be appreciated!

The vehicle is a 1992 Tahoe.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Suggestion: Don't let him work on his vehicle ever again.

Ryan Trollin!
S
SCSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I'm guessing he is in for some major problems!?

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Flush ALL the brakes IMMEDIATELY.

Best case scenario is the amount a PS fluid was so small it didn't hurt anything.

Worst case scenario is he put in a significant amount of the fluid and drove like that for a while and needs most parts related to the braking system replaced. (ABS unit, M/C, hoses, calipers)

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
At the very least he will need a new master cylinder. Oil based fluid, such as power steering fluid will cause the type of rubber used in brake system seals to swell, and either jam up, or leak, or both. I highly recommend taking hte car to a reputable mechanic to replace the master cylinder, and any other adversely affected component, and perform a very very thourough flush of the remaining brake system.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
S
SCSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I went to take the cap off the brake resrvois and the seal inside was already swollen. He had to get a tow truck and move the vehicle because the brakes completely froze!

Thanks for the help.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Tell your friend he is a complete moron. They don't put the fluid stats in the owners manual for nothing.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
And the fact that PS fluid is RED and Brake fluid is CLEAR. It was probably black in his case though due to lack of maintenance.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I hope he has some money to spend to fix it. All brake components with rubber seals must be replaced, ie master cyl, brake calipers, brake hoses, possibly ABS pump motor and valves, etc. Then the hard lines need to be flushed 1st with a cleaner (alcohol works well, not the drinking kind) then with water, then with air. Once that is done and all the rubber components are replaced and the system is filled with BRAKE FLUID your friend will have a safe brake system again. Short cutting this by only replacing some components is pointless the PS fluid residue will remain in the original components and will contaminate the system bringing you right back to square one. Have fun.

S
SCSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Well- I believe you all were right!

He already got his truck back and everything but the ABS pump was replaced. Some local shop did the work for him.

I can't believe it was that quick.

Anyways, I appreciate all the help and informtion given!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard