Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
Hey guys this is one mod im going to do soon but im not sure how to go about it. I tryed a search and came up with some stuff but notning that helps. I know how to take everything apart but what do i have to do to prep the grille before painting it. I mean do i sand it down 1st then prime it then paint or what. would this work. thanks for any info.

H
H
sand
prime
paint
clearcoat

1998 Vibrant White 2.0 Zetec / "Powered By Ford" Shoulder Pads / 3A Racing Pedal Covers / Pre-98 Sail Panels / Alpine SPS-5729 in the front / JL Audio TR570-CX in the Rear / Zetec Inside Sticker / Replica Porsche 944 Rims (5 circle ones) / CEG Sticker / Super White 9006 Low Beams / Euro Style Short Antenna / Broadway Wide-Angle Mirror / Painted Front Grill Vibrant White / CTA Intake / Accel Ignition Coil / Diablosport Chip / Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler / Ractive Amber Side Markers / ST200 Struts / Eibach Springs
I
OP Offline
I
What kind of grit should it be. or dosent it matter in this case.

O
O
Be forewarned, it chips like a b!tch.. I've had it painted twice already, and not two weeks later, got yet another (big) chip. Looks great, I just had a paint shop do it for me, it's such a small piece, it shouldn't cost much.

T
T
Kevin -- it's a major pain based on what I hear. If you do it yourself, the results won't be the best (won't look OEM). Go to a body shop....there's a good one in Aurora here that would probably do it for like $80 or less.

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"
S
S
b s
o h
d o
y p

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

-Speed Demon- Matt
Black 2000 Contour SE Sport (duratec/atx)
got body mods?
all show, better than stock go smile
"I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid"
speddmn.com
Quote:
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:
Hey guys this is one mod im going to do soon but im not sure how to go about it. I tryed a search and came up with some stuff but notning that helps. I know how to take everything apart but what do i have to do to prep the grille before painting it. I mean do i sand it down 1st then prime it then paint or what. would this work. thanks for any info.
Mine got the ultimate test today, Got behind a dump truck(not by choice) and was pelted with rocks. Not a single chip in mine.

Mine was sanded down with a rough grit, then EPOXY primer was used for it's durability. It etches itself to the remaining chrome. Then a single stage paint was used. Instead of the regular base coat, clear coat.

Still looks amazing.

S
S
I would tend to agree with Tim on this one about doing it yourself.

Personally I haven't painted the grille on my SVT, but I did paint one years ago on my '84 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.
Like most of you I couldn't stand having that big, chrome egg crate on the front of my 'Bird when all the other trim had a nice charcoal finish.
So I decided to do something about it as well as make my 'Bird stand out from the rest of the flock (ouch!).

I removed the grille (six screws), sanded it down with rough grit (don't remember the grade) to remove most (not necessarily all) the chrome plating. Then I went over it again with a medium grit (again no grade #) to smooth out the rough grit marks, then followed up with fine grit dry then extra fine grit wet to achieve a perfectly paintable surface.
Primed it with gray epoxy primer & finished up with a Lincoln color called Pewter Metallic, if I remember correctly. I chose this color because it was close to the OEM charcoal trim, but just different enough for it to stand out.
And it did.

Of all the modifications I made to my 'Bird over the years of ownership, this single change garnered more comments & compliments than all the others combined.

Very satisfying telling people I did it myself.

As far as chips are concerned, it is no different than repainting any other area of a vehicle. As long as you prepare the surface properly, apply the primer & paint correctly it should be just as durable as the rest of your car.
I might add I also applied a clear coat atop the Pewter.

1999 SVT Contour, #2140 of 2760, Tropic Green - Medium Prairie Tan
Koni Sport struts; TSW Blade wheels; Nakamichi, a/d/s/, Boston Acoustics, Infinity I.C.E.

1989 Saleen Mustang, #89-0408, too many mods to list here
I
OP Offline
I
Cool guys thanks for all the help. I think im gonna do it myself. thanks again

S
S
where should i get the paint if i want to do this? can i get it at ford or just any paint store. if i can get it at a store, is there a certain name for it? thx.

Spec 23

99 SVT
No Mods (can't afford to void the extended warranty)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard