Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
But wouldnt this be an easy install?? And keep the heat down in the engine bay?

1998 Silver Frost LX C-27 Kit, 19x7.5 42 offset Gunmetal rims, 20% tint, engine mods to come shortly... "It's never too late to be what you might have been."
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Im not sure about ease, but you are right I suppose it would keep some heat out of the engine bay, and the fact that it is being piped back so far may even cool the charge down quite a bit.
I'll say it again, all of my critiques are just that, please do this!

Goonz12: <---tries on mommy's cloths
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
The big two arguements against doing it are;
1) its just not right (stupid arguement)
2) it wont make the same HP (which is a good arguement)
Unfortunately the cost of doing a rear setup is about the same as a normal setup.
So why pay the same for less HP?

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
The absolute furthest back I'd put the turbo is after the cat right around the flex pipe. Just under the intake manifold. Aerocharger did that with their Focus kit and did good numbers with decent spool up. The Porsche 944 turbo also had a similar setup with a long exhaust manifold with the turbo close to the intake. I don't know if there's enough room in the Cougar under there to squease the turbo in though.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z

1997 Mondeo Ghia 2.0 ATX
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
The only problem I see with locating the turbo so far from the engine is that you will lose most of the thermal energy that the turbo would normally use. This thermal energy helps to spin the turbine wheel faster. With having the turbo located further from the engine, response would be in the toilet - CAN WE SAY LAG?!?!? More pipe in between the engine and turbo means more response time which also means less power down low. If your worried about underhood temps, Use thermal wrap on the exhaust components and put some heat extracting vents in the hood. By wrapping the exhaust and keeping the heat in the exhaust stream you get a small hp benefit anyway. Part of the reason they ceramic coat headers. There is PLENTY of room in the engine compartment on a zetec Contour for a turbo to be fit in. Even more if you get a focus 4into1 shortie header and make an adaptor plate for the go between (shouldn't cost more than $150 for the header and the adaptor piece). Of course you could always opt for a stock focus exhaust manifold to use for your project, alot cheaper.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by evocontour:
The only problem I see with locating the turbo so far from the engine is that you will lose most of the thermal energy that the turbo would normally use. This thermal energy helps to spin the turbine wheel faster. With having the turbo located further from the engine, response would be in the toilet - CAN WE SAY LAG?!?!?

Click on the link posted, lag isnt a huge problem like so many think. Throttle response is great from what the articles on the site say.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Check out FI forum for a great and beneficial thread (other than "its stupid!!") on rear mount setups and why they are BENEFICIAL and would be a GOOD CHOICE over a traditional style setup.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
The ONLY benefit to installing a turbo in the rear of the vehicle would be the removal of the heat underhood. If it is such a big deal, wrap all of your exhaust components with exhaust wrap and put some exhaust vents in your hood. (Coolness meets functionality) Turbo response is delayed by putting the turbo at the end of the exhaust system. The exhaust gas has to push it's way ENTIRELY down the exhaust system and through the cat before it can connect with the turbine wheel and make it spin quicker. THERE IS A DELAY HERE. Not to mention the additional 5-6 feet worth of intake piping that has to be routed all over the car or next to the HOT exhaust pipe before it can be run into the engine without intercooling. Now if you still want to intercool your intake charge which would be STRONGLY reccommended, your adding all sorts of more piping in and still having to cut up the front of your car for the intercooler. Which further increases lag by creating alot more area to pressurize. Lets not forget the length of oil line your going to have to install, I am sure a line that long would probably tax the oilpump in the engine somewhat. WHAT IF YOU RUN OVER SOMETHING?!?!? Say - A RECAP? The one I ran over managed to remove the exhaust system and my rear bumper plus puncture my gastank in one fell swoop. I can just imagine if I had a rear mounted turbo. If the recap didn't destroy the turbo, I bet the tractor trailer that ran over my exhaust would have. I would much rather have my turbo UNDERHOOD where it is safely out of harms way, is easier to work on and doesn't require a lift anytime I need to look at it. Beneficial? A better choice? The only benefit your swapping here is the removal of heat from underhood and exchanging it for alot of extra work, a lot of extra components in strange places that have to be checked frequently for road hazard damage and a slower responding power adder. But to each thier own. (At least I didn't say it was stupid)

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Nice cross-post, there, bro..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard