Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
But it isn't "always" starting from the same point. Different pumps, different stations, even different temperatures and humidity can cause the actual amount fueled when "topping off" to be more, or less than the time before it. not a drastic amount, but still there.

If the previous suggestions for maintenance don't help. I SERIOUSLY suggest a UIM/LIM teardown and cleaning. you can't mess it up with the HOW-To posted in the Duratec Maintenance FAQ. With more than 33K miles on your engine, you're likely getting pretty dirty. Restore stock horses, and increase your current mileage with this procedure.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Okay, folks, my '95 Mystique with the 2.5, CD4E gets 25 MPG give or take 1/4 gallon. I almost always fill up at the same station. I fill it the same way every time. My driving from Mon. to Fri. is the same "to work and back", 30 miles round trip per day. Weekends I put on any where from 75 to 275 miles (I fill up on Fridays before work, mostly). Most of my driving is on a freeway @ 68 MPH. On 2 occasions I got 27 MPG. I usually fill up at around 1/4 tank. Tyre pressure is 44PSI per tyre manufaturer (Kelly Charger 205-50-15). I replaced the air filter shortly after I got this car in July. Actually runs crappier since then; Fram filter. The one I replaced was whatever CARX uses. Another bad thing I did after I replaced the filter was to put in a bottle of Gumout fuel injector cleaner. Since then I let the car idle for about 2 to 5 minutes in the morning, otherwise it acts like it is starving for fuel. Is 25 MPG normal for this type car, engine, trans?? And to say also, I got this type of mileage before the filter and Gumout situation. Car has 94700 miles.

Later. Pepse.

'95 Mystique LS Young America, Moonlight Blue, V-6 ATX, LOADED. REMEMBER: Always fasten your seatbelt as it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Pepse:
I replaced the air filter shortly after I got this car in July. Actually runs crappier since then; Fram filter.

Maybe the air filter or housing is not seated properly.
Also clean the MAF and IAC valve, and replace the fuel filter if it has not been replaced in the 12 months.

Edit. This thread might help.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1037329&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Last edited by Tony2005; 09/01/05 12:30 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
I only get 18mpg on average on mine. Then again I comute in bumper-bumper traffic almost every day. 19 sounds fine if your comute involves heavy traffic.

1999 CSVT Black/Blue, MSDS headers/ypipe, test pipe, TruBendz-Borla Catback, short shifter, KKM induction, 17" SVT Focus wheels optima red-top 2003 IS300 stock 1966 Restomod Mustang 2+2 5.0/5-speed, & much more
I
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I
some things to think about:

is odometer accurate? changing tire size may change odometer accuracy.

wider, stickier hi performance tires will yield lesser gas milage than narrow, harder compound tires.

if your imrc is not working correctly, that can affect milage.

after that, there are a lot of things engine related that could affect things. clogged cats, bent exhaust pipes, spark plugs & wires, air filter, egr system, etc.

could be something mechanical:

maybe your brakes are binding up or you have bad wheel bearings.

contours, deloreans & fiats, oh my!
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
everything is stock. except for a high flow drop in air filter that was added in june. tires are on the stock rims and are 215/50R16 BFG Traction TA's

and crap... i have no idea what all these abbreviations mean... someone needs a guide for newer people on here. I know UIM and LIM but the others in the last reply... i have no idea... like what is imrc?

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by guitarman19853:
i have no idea... like what is imrc?

Intake Manifold Runner Control. The rectangular box under the water pump cover (Duratec word on plastic). The IMRC, if broken will not let you run above 4 to 4.5 k rpms. I assume you know that cats mean catalytic converter (SVTs have 2 pre cats (Bank 1 firewall and Bank 2 radiator) and one main cat. In addition, EGR exhaust gas recirculation system.

Edit. Picture of EGR (UFO looking thing below Ray's finger).

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=931756&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1

Last edited by Tony2005; 09/01/05 07:46 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
A
A
My 98 2.5 5 speed gets a consistant 26.5 to 27 mpg in a mix of 80% stop & go & 20% highway driving. Strictly highway it might pull 29-30. If these cars had a real overdrive that would drop the rpm's to 2200 or so at 65 (instead of 2900 or so) I'm sure 35 mpg would be no problem. The engine has more that enough power to pull a taller overdrive.

98 Contour SE Sport Duratec 5 speed 79 F150 Ranger Lariat 351 auto 4wd 71 AMC Javelin AMX 401 auto 70 AMC Rebel Machine 390 4 speed 68 AMC AMX 343 4 speed
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
To be accurate, that isn't my finger.

that picture was pulled fromt he original IAC removal faq.

Also, as for terms, and abbreviations:

we DO have a guide.

Linky

For the 0420, search on that term (P0420, or 0420) in troubleshooting for more than enough info.

Synopsis. Could be anything that causes your air:fuel mix to be off (enough to make the car think that the cat if failing) or the cat could be failing.

plugs/wires, fuel filter, fule pressure, air leaks, exhaust leaks, etc.

Start with a good cleaning of the air filter, fuel filter, and change your plugs(possibly your wires too) (most V6 users opt for autolite app764 double plats for consistant performance on the waste spark ignition system in the contour.)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by amcford:
My 98 2.5 5 speed gets a consistant 26.5 to 27 mpg in a mix of 80% stop & go & 20% highway driving. Strictly highway it might pull 29-30. If these cars had a real overdrive that would drop the rpm's to 2200 or so at 65 (instead of 2900 or so) I'm sure 35 mpg would be no problem. The engine has more that enough power to pull a taller overdrive.

My 96 2.5 MTX with 150,000 miles and bad cats (with CEL on) still gets 28 city and 30+ highway.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard