Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1366781 08/21/05 11:05 PM
W
weegee Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hi

I have a 1999 Mondeo Mk2 (with a 2 litre zetec blacktop engine), which i am going to supercharge, at present i have.

The Supercharger Unit, which is an Eaton M45 (Generation 5)

NOS - Nitrous Oxide setup

It seem that most people on this side of the pond are fascinated with turbo, hence there isnt a lot of info regarding the subject of supercharging a zetec.

I would like to know what the main points concerning supercharging the zetec are? Im not worried about things like brackets, pulleys, belts ect. Im more interested in finding out if i need to adjust the fuelling ect - or to make a long story short > what else do i need to do apart from bolt the supercharger on? I have my ideas - but some help from people who may have done it would be appreciated.

I also intend to run Nitrous with my s/c - any suggestions or warning as to where to mount or things to look out for?

Thanks in advance

WeeGee

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I'm sure that he will post here shortly but search for member LocoSCZ

He has a supercharger and would be the best source for the info on CEG. He has been running one for quite some time.

B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by weegee:

It seem that most people on this side of the pond are fascinated with turbo, hence there isnt a lot of info regarding the subject of supercharging a zetec.

I don't think it's a fascination, I just think people are too scared that it wouldnt fit. Hector took the chance and it paid off for him.

I'd definately look him up or check out www.focaljet.com and see what some of the focus guys did to install thiers...

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
From Hecor's original thread, installing a M45 is pretty darn easy.

I wonder how close Percy is to you. Here's his JRSC install thread.

I want to see someone put on a Focus SVT M62 supercharger on a Contour.

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
From Hecor's original thread, installing a M45 is pretty darn easy.

I wonder how close Percy is to you. Here's his JRSC install thread.

I want to see someone put on a Focus SVT M62 supercharger on a Contour.

BP

Working on it.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
W
weegee Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally posted by Bk4293:
I don't think it's a fascination, I just think people are too scared that it wouldnt fit. Hector took the chance and it paid off for him.

Im a CAN-DO kinda guy - i just dont like the rush of a turbo - i get to play with some nice cars on a daily basis (I own a garage), so we have have Nissan 300ZX twin turbos, supras, skylines, ect all with turbo's and to be honest - although all the turbo'd car put out massive amounts of power - it just didnt feel right - now the supercharged jaguar - that was a whole different story - it was silky smooth all the way from idle - and what a lovely sound

Anyway back on topic - i have read percys post, but unfortuantly it didnt help much, as there is no way that I can afford to buy a Jackson Racing kit for my car, so im building from scratch. I have the blower - and im in the process of machining a new inlet manifold, ect. But what im really looking for here are some details about what needs done apart from actually making the charger fit on the car. Will i need differet plugs, ecu change, better grade of fuel ect.

I intend to have a fully working supercharged & nitroused up zetec for under �£300 - so im doing it old skool - i'll do the work myself to save paying labor, and if there are parts needed, then i'll make them (bits like brackets, pulleys ect). I am also quite handy at electronics so i can handle some engine mods, like the Nitrous controller, which i'll make myself.

What is the black box that is reffered to in percys thread - i assume this is some kind of piggy back fuel controller that is supplied by JR? Any idea what it does, and why its needed?

Here are some of the bits i have so far:

http://stu.crediblehost.com/graphiccar/viewtopic.php?t=732

So if anyone knows the nitty gritty of making this work without any bells and whistles, then please let me know before i make a complete ass of myself - lol

Regards

G

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
So if anyone knows the nitty gritty of making this work without any bells and whistles, then please let me know before i make a complete ass of myself - lol

Regards

G

Hector, tell him what you got!!!

To get yourself up and running I would say... 30lb injectors, Focus SVT MAF or Mustang GT MAF, and some way of tuning it. Either SCT or Diablo chip. If you don't program your ECU for all of that extra power and fuel, you will blow up your Zetec.

HTH,
BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:

Regards

G

Hector, tell him what you got!!!

To get yourself up and running I would say... 30lb injectors, Focus SVT MAF or Mustang GT MAF, and some way of tuning it. Either SCT or Diablo chip. If you don't program your ECU for all of that extra power and fuel, you will blow up your Zetec.

HTH,
BP

I bought the kit......all that needed to be modified was the bracket that holds the blower and intake manifold, a Focus IAC valve, and the cruise control needs to be removed (Tb bracket was modifed). For the higher boost I am running 42# injectors, Mustang GT MAF, and a custom burned Diablochip calibrated for both.

As far as building a kit yourself that may cause some problems. The supercharger will need to be very straight and lined up perfectly with the serpentine belt. If not that may cause a lot of problems. You may run into problems making the intake manifold. Kits like the Jackson Racing I'm sure flow test the intake manifold before selling them in a kit. You will need to figure that out. What car did you get the M45 out of?

Here is a pic of mine:

Last edited by LocoSCZ; 08/23/05 10:42 PM.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
W
weegee Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thats a tidy car you have there m8

Thanks for the info - its looking like it could be quite an easy conversion after all. The charger is off a BMW Mini Cooper S - but is totally unmolested - and in the same condition that youd buy one from eaton in.

A couple of my mates are precision engineers, so im sure that they will help me get it all lined up. Im glad you mentioned the MAF/CHIP/INJECTORS, as tbh i see these as being my only major concern. I have noted your points on the intake manifold design - but im hoping to take advantage of the fact that its forced induction - hence it wont need to be perfect to work, although i may modify the design to improve gas flow once i can get some computer simulations running.

hmmm fluid dynamics

What boost are you running at? Have you changed your pulley size, or did you just use the one suppluied in the kit?

And on a seperate note: What do you reacon the chances are of connecting the electro-magnetic clutch off an air-con unit to the supercharger - allonging me to turn the supercharger on/off at will (for those moments when you dont want to let the idiot in the lane next to you know that your boosted) - a possibility? And is there any technical reason why a dump valve woulnt work on a s/c car.

Cheers

G

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Thats a tidy car you have there m8

What boost are you running at? Have you changed your pulley size, or did you just use the one suppluied in the kit?

And on a seperate note: What do you reacon the chances are of connecting the electro-magnetic clutch off an air-con unit to the supercharger - allonging me to turn the supercharger on/off at will (for those moments when you dont want to let the idiot in the lane next to you know that your boosted) - a possibility? And is there any technical reason why a dump valve woulnt work on a s/c car.

Cheers

G

Thanks!

Stock is 3.0" pulley = 3-4 psi
My 2.6" pulley = 7-8 psi
2.3" pulley (sitting in my back seat) 10-11 psi

Why? Under no load/low load there really isn't any boost. The dump valve really isn't necessary due to the fact most superchargers have a bypass valve bolted on them already....in between the supercharger and intake manfold.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard