Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1366007 08/21/05 08:32 PM
J
JyYyM Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
I suspect something like that is what's happening to my starter because I hear no skipping at all, I guess I'll try to remove it and inspect it...

any other ideas about what could be wrong?

thanks

#1366008 08/21/05 11:07 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I have a 98 svt and it does the EXACT same thing. It seems to wine right when the car is started and only on cold starts. definitley weird. Let me know what you find out about it.

98' Black SVT Build #1915 of 6535
#1366009 08/21/05 11:46 PM
J
JyYyM Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
How long has your CSVT had the problem? I don't know about mine because I bought it a few weeks ago, also how many miles on the odometer?

I'm trying to get some facts here, I'll take it to a shop and let you know, but those answers would help.

#1366010 08/22/05 04:00 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I can tell you that this is what happens just prior to the teeth both on the starter and the flywheel getting chewed up. The flywheel teeth do not mesh properly on these cars. And over time fail prematurely. Ford has a new updated flywheel that has chamfered edges for better engagement and no binding and grinding. I would replace the starter first, but visually inspect the flywheel closely when you have the starter off. Look for uneven or rounded teeth on the flywheel. If the new starter grinds after you install it...then be prepared for major work, or major dollars to spend to replace that flywheel with a new one. "DO NOT" buy an aftermarket flywheel. Get the Ford updated one. It cost me $80.00 Canadian. Big job to change it. I have learned more about my car changing that dam thing...believe me...if you dont have tools and patients better get a shop to do it.I hope for your sake...your right and its just the starter. If you replace it, and it starts acting up again you will know the flywheel is shot.

#1366011 08/22/05 04:16 AM
J
JyYyM Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Thanks for the tip, so, are you certain that my symptoms (noise only a second after the car starts up, only the first time of the day) indicate that the teeth are about to go??

Also, any ideas about why this happens only when the car is cold, and at the first crank of the day? I'm curious about that...

#1366012 08/22/05 04:36 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Im not certain, but you need to replace the starter anyway. Just when you get it off...check the flywheel teeth very carefully. And if the new one grinds anytime soon after you install it, then you will know for sure the flywheel is no good. Hopefully it is only the starter. Ford had alot of problems with failed flywheels...just imagine the cost of a recall on that one? I have heard of people paying $1000.00 and up for flywheel replacement. And to think that they are aware of the problem, with the new superceded Flywheel part. Mine did what yours did for quite a while...I ignored it and when I did finally get around to taking off the starter....and getting a new one...I installed it and two days later, the same thing again. Pulled it off, and one of the mechanic at the dealer told me to check the flywheel. So second time I took it off, I had someone turn the crankshaft bolt slowly while I inspected the teeth with a flashlight through the starter opening....I wanted to cry when I saw a couple of places where the teeth was chewed really bad. The part is cheap...the labour is a PITA of a job.

#1366013 08/22/05 04:57 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Just funny you mention that you just bought the car a few weeks ago...same thing happened to me....got the car cheap, because I think the seller was informed of the problem by some shop, and the cost to fix it...so he unloaded it on me. I test drove the car and it ran fine, he easily dropped his price by $400.00 without a comeback. About 3 weeks later my wife said the car was making a noise when you start it. I went out and tried it and it started fine...told her its nothing and works ok. She told me again in another week or so...its still making a noise in the morning when she starts the car. Next day I tried to start it myself...whirring sound and it got worse as time progressed. Then it went downhill from there. Jerk sold me his daughters car who moved to Australia is what he said...more like a bunch of BS...he knew what was wrong when he sold it. I fixed it up, and it only had 80,000k on it...two days work with myself and brother and its been great ever since...135,000k and runs like a champ. I know this car inside out now, and you just have to keep up on the little things and quirks and I love the handling and power it has.

#1366014 08/22/05 12:44 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Don't be surprised if you get the starter off and do not notice any damage on the teeth. I replaced a whirring/grinding starter a few weeks ago, and the old starter looked fine. Apparently it only takes a very small amount of shaving on the teeth for them not to connect properly with the flywheel.

It is not a bad job at all if your hands are small.

Black 2000 SVT Contour w/ Prairie Tan MSDS Headers | Magnaflow | Mirko Splitter | Fidanza Short Throw Shifter | Kenwood KVT-815 LCD/DVD
#1366015 08/22/05 03:35 PM
J
JyYyM Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Thanks, Well, I hope I can get away just replacing the starter... the problem is that I have big hands, there isn't a how to or any pics of where the bolts are is it? that would be handy...

#1366016 08/22/05 03:40 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
I'll have pictures taken by tonight... Hold off until then.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard